Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Average length cpap machine lasts?
RE: Average length cpap machine lasts?
(09-25-2012, 04:48 PM)Postysam Wrote: Is there an approximate length of time a cpap machine lasts? As long as it is working should I not worry about it. All buttons seem to function and it doesn't appear to have any leaks. Humidifier works fine when I use it. I had this same (first one) since about Aug 2009

Thanks

I purchased a ResMed S9 AutoSet in January 2012.

But, my previous Respironics CPAP (which I still use to travel and as a back-up) will be 9 years old in December 2012. It still works perfectly.

Although my BCBS PPO insurance plan requires that a machine not be functioning anymore before they will replace it (even if it is 5 or more years old), I was able to obtain the S9 based on a prescription that noted the technological advances since my previous purchase 8 years previous. My Sleep Doctor and my DME Provider both said that was an acceptable reason to replace any machine that was at least 5 years old. Mine was 8 years old at the time of replacement.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've had 5 machines in 17 years - 1 retired, 2 taken out by lightning, and 2 currently in use.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have just got my third machine. The first one, a Healthdyne lasted 10 years and the second, a DeViblis Horizon lasted 14 years. The failure mechanism was the same for both in that they failed to control pressure, and in both cases spare parts were no longer available. The new S9 Autoset is a big improvement in the technology and it is QUIET.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2012, 05:21 PM)StuUnderPressure Wrote: Although my BCBS PPO insurance plan requires that a machine not be functioning anymore before they will replace it (even if it is 5 or more years old), I was able to obtain the S9 based on a prescription that noted the technological advances since my previous purchase 8 years previous. My Sleep Doctor and my DME Provider both said that was an acceptable reason to replace any machine that was at least 5 years old. Mine was 8 years old at the time of replacement.

Mine was 14 years old. A complete dinosaur. A leaf blower, as they say, in every sense of the word. No data or anything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2013, 04:47 PM)PeteW5 Wrote: I have just got my third machine. The first one, a Healthdyne lasted 10 years and the second, a DeViblis Horizon lasted 14 years. The failure mechanism was the same for both in that they failed to control pressure, and in both cases spare parts were no longer available. The new S9 Autoset is a big improvement in the technology and it is QUIET.

Wow! Does that mean you started around 1989?
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Should last for several years. My insurance provider here in Canada allows for a replacement every 5 years, although I know it will last longer than that. Check with your provider.
Post Reply Post Reply
IMHO The most venerable part of a CPAP machine is the on/off switch and the machine life varies as a function of how often you turn the machine on. My first machine didn't make it to 4 years as I use it for at night and for naps and I get up to pee at least twice a night because I am a mouth breather so I'm sipping water all night because I'm parched.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2013, 11:59 AM)archangle Wrote:
(01-28-2013, 04:47 PM)PeteW5 Wrote: I have just got my third machine. The first one, a Healthdyne lasted 10 years and the second, a DeViblis Horizon lasted 14 years. The failure mechanism was the same for both in that they failed to control pressure, and in both cases spare parts were no longer available. The new S9 Autoset is a big improvement in the technology and it is QUIET.

Wow! Does that mean you started around 1989?

Yes,
after my uvula was removed to try and improve the apnea - A BIG Mistake. It worked for a while but left me with a problem with food going the wrong way down my throat occasionally. I have concluded that the uvula's main purpose is to detect anything in the back of the mouth and close the air passage.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2013, 12:32 PM)PeteW5 Wrote: after my uvula was removed to try and improve the apnea - A BIG Mistake. It worked for a while but left me with a problem with food going the wrong way down my throat occasionally. I have concluded that the uvula's main purpose is to detect anything in the back of the mouth and close the air passage.

It is also required in order to produce various sounds used in hundreds of languages, including German and French (but not English).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 84 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 298 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 620 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 198 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,721 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 365 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,287 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.