Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

PR System One with AutoIQ
RE: PR System One with AutoIQ
archangle Wrote:I guess I don't see why anyone would want an AutoIQ instead of a real APAP.

Is it for doctors who are scared of the myth that APAPs ramp up and blow the patients away?

Why would anyone choose this instead of a real auto machine and occasionally checking and setting the patient's pressure.

I guess I do see an advantage that you could set it for something like 4-20 auto to start, and once it figure out the patient needs 10, it could start him out at 10 every night instead of making him suffer through low pressure until he has enough breathing problems to auto him up to 10.

Do I read this correctly? You only get 30 days of auto titration for the life of the machine, and then it won't auto any more? How about if you take the machine from one patient and give it to another patient? Is the second patient out of luck?

Can you reset the machine to start your 30 days over? If not, this is a very scary development where the machine cripples itself simply to make you buy a new machine. Shades of the RIAA/MPAA mafiaa.
Post Reply Post Reply
archangle,(time=1312237214) Wrote:Can you reset the machine to start your 30 days over? If not, this is a very scary development where the machine cripples itself simply to make you buy a new machine. Shades of the RIAA/MPAA mafiaa.
Good questions... sure hope it's not some sort of Big Brother-ism built into these new machines to give the patient less control. That's something I didn't think of...

Would not like cripple-ware CPAP machines for sure! Crazy

I agree... just get a regular auto-CPAP... titration problems are solved for the life of the machine, no matter what changes with your body, environment, etc.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
HeadGear Wrote:
SuperSleeper,(time=1312236198) Wrote:Jan. 2004 - ResMed AutoSet T
May 2005 - ResMed S8 AutoSet Vantage
Feb. 2007 - ResMed AutoSet Spirit
Aug. 2008 - ResMed S8 AutoSet II
Feb. 2010 - ResMed S9 AutoSet

In the past, there tends to be an average of about a 2 year period in between release dates, roughly. Thinking-about

But then again, they just released the newer S9 VPAP Auto, VPAP ST, VPAP S, VPAP Adapt and VPAP Adapt SV in the S9 series this year (2011)...

So, my guess is that they're not going to put out a new S10 series until early 2012. Just a hunch... I have no official news on that at all.
Hmm! It would appear that the S9 autoset platform is a replacement for the S8 autoset Vantage. They are 5 years apart! The S8 Autoset II is an interim model or minor upgrade of the S8 autoset Vantage, and that took 3 years. If that is any indication, the S9 autoset may have a minor upgrade in 2013 and be replaced by an S10 autoset in 2015.

There is no need to worry about S9 autoset obsolescence! Occasionally, I use my S8 autoset, and it is still a great machine, - does what is needed to fight the apneas with plenty of style. I just miss the EPR and the quiet operation, but half way through the night, all that is forgotten! Now, the old "tank" by Resmed, sits in the garage. You are right that it will never quit working - just taking up space, 'though!
Post Reply Post Reply
fotoguy Wrote:Thanks for that great explanation of the Auto IQ, zonk.

I've had my Philips Respironics REMstar Pro C-FLEX+ Auto IQ for 3 days now, and haven't had a good night's sleep since. It sounds like someone was moaning while pushing a vacuum cleaner - all night long. It kept waking me up. And the humidifier LED being improperly stuck on didn't help. The ResMed S9 Elite I had before it was very quiet. But it lasted less than 30 uses. I'm very careful with my machines, but they just don't seem to last for me. The very first night I had the REMstar, after about an hour of use (I was still awake because of the noise) the humidifier LED suddenly popped on and has been on since. I checked the user setup and clinical setup and it is turned off in both. My sister seems to have some electrical field or something about her that messes up computers (even over the phone - I will walk away from mine when she calls). Maybe there is something about me that breaks CPAP machines. Not serious about that, of course.
Post Reply Post Reply
Steven Wrote:
HeadGear,(time=1312412196) Wrote:
SuperSleeper,(time=1312236198) Wrote:Jan. 2004 - ResMed AutoSet T
May 2005 - ResMed S8 AutoSet Vantage
Feb. 2007 - ResMed AutoSet Spirit
Aug. 2008 - ResMed S8 AutoSet II
Feb. 2010 - ResMed S9 AutoSet

In the past, there tends to be an average of about a 2 year period in between release dates, roughly. Thinking-about

But then again, they just released the newer S9 VPAP Auto, VPAP ST, VPAP S, VPAP Adapt and VPAP Adapt SV in the S9 series this year (2011)...

So, my guess is that they're not going to put out a new S10 series until early 2012. Just a hunch... I have no official news on that at all.
Hmm! It would appear that the S9 autoset platform is a replacement for the S8 autoset Vantage. They are 5 years apart! The S8 Autoset II is an interim model or minor upgrade of the S8 autoset Vantage, and that took 3 years. If that is any indication, the S9 autoset may have a minor upgrade in 2013 and be replaced by an S10 autoset in 2015.

There is no need to worry about S9 autoset obsolescence! Occasionally, I use my S8 autoset, and it is still a great machine, - does what is needed to fight the apneas with plenty of style. I just miss the EPR and the quiet operation, but half way through the night, all that is forgotten! Now, the old "tank" by Resmed, sits in the garage. You are right that it will never quit working - just taking up space, 'though!
Don't mean to beat this topic to death.

But SuperSleeper's list of Release Dates leads me to believe that the S10 will be released in early 2012 (which is what SuperSleeper opined also).

I see that you think that the S9 AutoSet would only have a minor upgrade in 2013 & not be replaced by an S10 AutoSet until 2015. I do respect your opinion & agree that no one knows for sure - so your opinion is as good as mine or SuperSleeper's.

But, I am of the opinion that the S9 AutoSet is always in ongoing minor upgrades that make one bought today just a tad better than one purchased a year ago - even if they do not "officially" call it an upgrade.
The perceived problems with the Climateline hose that seem to no longer exist is a good example. Even ResMed admitted then that they were making manufacturing changes that would affect new S9s built after a certain date.

Bottom line is that I will probably buy an S9 AutoSet soon, unless I miraculously find out additional information to change my mind.

But, I am not in a real rush since I have only met about 1/2 of my 2011 deductible (a good thing in many respects) & that will mean more out of pocket for me. But, if I wait until 2012, my deductible starts all over again. So, buying in 2011 does make more sense.

When I do spring for the S9 AutoSet purchase, I will also concentrate other medical care before the end of 2011 (as much as possible) to take advantage of the S9 AutoSet purchase fullfilling my 2011 Deductible.

I will again be traveling out of state next week.
As soon as I return, I expect to spend time with my DME (when I go there to replenish some supplies) finding out whether or not I will have problems with them getting exactly what I want (the S9 AutoSet & related) & what my out-of-pocket cost will be.

I have put together an Excel Spreadsheet listing exactly what I want.
That list includes the ResMed Item Number and the HCPCS Billing Code for each separate item - so there is no way they can try to substitute something different.
It also contains columns for the DME to list their prices, the insurance allowable prices, the amount to be paid by the insurance, and my out-of-pocket costs.
I am leaving nothing to chance.

If I feel like I can't get what I want from my current DME, I will bring that same Excel Spreadsheet to 1 DME after another until I find one that will give me what I want. There are 27 DMEs in my City, but I was only aware of about 6 of them - so I have a lot of options.

The same DME has already sold me two (2) previous CPAPs PLUS over 12 1/2 years of supplies.
They also know me well enough to know they can't #$^% with me. Hopefully, they have enough sense to not lose my business.

While I am finding a DME to sell me what I want, I expect to get a "very specific" prescription from my Sleep Doctor to replace the generic one they already gave me earlier in 2011.
They also know not to #$^% with me.
Post Reply Post Reply
zonk Wrote:For me it can not wait i want it sooner than later i might not live to see the day Thinking-about
I live my day as it would be my last and every new day is a blessing Sleep-on-pillow
Post Reply Post Reply
archangle Wrote:I'm not sure I think we'll see a lot of new models of CPAP soon. Between the M Series/S8 and PRS1/S9 generation, there were very concrete improvements.

SD card vs. proprietary smart cards. Waveform data recording.

What "quantum" improvements like that are likely to come with the next generation of CPAP?

I can see better algorithms, better detection and scoring of events, etc., but that doesn't have glitz and glamor for marketing purposes. The medical mafia is against using machine scored events and auto adjustment already. They're not going to be impressed with better algorithms.

A realtime computer link would be nice, but the manufacturers and medical mafia don't like us to have access to our data. I suspect if anything, the forces of evil will change things to "increase security" and keep us from changing pressure or looking at our data.

That's one of the reasons I think the AutoIQ must die. They're providing a function and locking us out after 30 days. If we buy a used AutoIQ, you'll probably find your 30 days are up and you don't get the full function of the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:But SuperSleeper's list of Release Dates leads me to believe that the S10 will be released in early 2012 (which is what SuperSleeper opined also).
Could be 2012, but do see archangle's points... one thing that also factors into new product releases is what shape the overall world economy will be in next year. If things continue the slide downward, ResMed may choose to hold off before investing a lot of money into releasing a new series right away. Many companies are reluctant to spend their cash right now on new projects, choosing to hoard cash for bad times.

You'll notice that our "patient-empowerment" movement in the Sleep Apnea world has shown up very brightly on ResMed's radar screen - so much so that they have hired a full-time Vice President in charge of "social media" to interact with us here in cyberspace. (see this thread for evidence of that). This speaks volumes to me, and seems to indicate that they know what's going on, and are shifting their focus away from DME-centered marketing and more towards patient-centered marketing. I think this is a very positive move.

The move towards targeted individual patient marketing is revealing - it tells me that they are interested expanding market share in the under-served "patient-empowerment" movement. This could be because new CPAP technologies have "peaked" in their new S9 series and they realize that they have a very effective product on their hands which only needs to be marketed further to increase sales. They want to maximize profit using their existing product line, rather than spending cash on R&D.

I agree that we're probably not going to see any "quantum leaps" in the next year or so (as far as the technology itself) - at best, we might see a S10 series come out that has a few more bells & whistles perhaps (for marketing purposes), but the basic functionality and effectiveness of a unit that might come out in 2012 would be quite similar to the S9 series units, in my opinion.
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
HeadGear Wrote:
SuperSleeper,(time=1315844272) Wrote:
Quote:But SuperSleeper's list of Release Dates leads me to believe that the S10 will be released in early 2012 (which is what SuperSleeper opined also).
Could be 2012, but do see archangle's points... one thing that also factors into new product releases is what shape the overall world economy will be in next year. If things continue the slide downward, ResMed may choose to hold off before investing a lot of money into releasing a new series right away. Many companies are reluctant to spend their cash right now on new projects, choosing to hoard cash for bad times.
I'll opine that the historic product release pattern will hold with a S9 II in 2012, just to keep the product line fresh! The mark II will come in designer colours, of which "candy apple" red will be a best seller. The S10, released in 2014, will have wireless built in and broadcast data directly to the DME, and, possibly to your computer. If you are non-compliant or fiddle with the settings, you will get a phone call... Other than that, nothing else is new! :-/
Post Reply Post Reply
HeadGear,(time=1315845670) Wrote:I'll opine that the historic product release pattern will hold with a S9 II in 2012, just to keep the product line fresh! The mark II will come in designer colours, of which "candy apple" red will be a best seller. The S10, released in 2014, will have wireless built in and broadcast data directly to the DME, and, possibly to your computer. If you are non-compliant or fiddle with the settings, you will get a phone call... Other than that, nothing else is new! :-/
If they really want to get my business, they'll include a coffee-machine attachment that has my coffee waiting for me when the machine senses that I'm about to wake up in the morning. Heck, the humidifier already heats up water... not too much of a stretch to adapt it into a coffee-maker... Now THAT would be some bell & whistle (for me). Wink

Coffee Coffee Coffee

And yes, "Candy Apple red" would get my vote also... maybe with sparkly metal flakes in the paint to make it shimmer in dim light on my nightstand. Bouncy
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,603 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,004 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 372 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 296 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Admin Note] Policy clarification [off-site advice & advice given via Private Message system] SuperSleeper 2 2,787 02-06-2024, 09:00 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Airsense 11. Heating system error Jskier 3 6,147 12-12-2023, 11:30 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 10 Heating System Fault JonathanLennox 6 12,516 04-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: 17WRX

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.