Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] mask wipes
mask wipes
is there a alternative for the cpap face mask wipes?

can you use non alcohol baby wipes or similar?

cheers

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: mask wipes
baby wipes (non alcoholic) cheaper and works as the other wipes
I wash mine in the shower with soap and warm water to remove skin oils
Post Reply Post Reply
I wash mine in a generic brand baby shampoo and it works well
Post Reply Post Reply
Same as above, I use perfume/dye free baby wipes to wipe down my mask daily and baby shampoo to clean everything about weekly. Much cheaper than the internet available wipes and cleaners and seems to work fine for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2013, 03:47 PM)crazychef Wrote: is there a alternative for the cpap face mask wipes?

The answer is "probably."
You say you use a Mirage Quattro. Let's check the user manual.
"The Mirage Quattro must be used under qualified supervision with
patients who are unable to remove the mask by themselves."
Oh. Dangerous stuff.
"Do not use aromatic-based solutions or scented oils (eg, eucalyptus or essential oils), bleach, alcohol or products that smell strongly (eg,
citrus) to clean any of the mask components. Residual vapours from
these solutions can be inhaled if not rinsed thoroughly. They may also
damage the mask, causing cracks.
• Do not iron the headgear as the material is heat sensitive and will be
damaged."

Okay. Unscented baby wipes.

"Handwash the mask by gently rubbing in warm (86°F / 30°C) water using mild soap or diluted dishwashing detergent."
"Handwash the headgear in warm (approx. 86°F/30°C) water using mild soap or diluted dishwashing detergent. Rinse well and allow it to air dry out of direct sunlight."

Personally, I'd see baby wipes as leaving "residue" just like washing the mask wish soap and not rinsing it afterwards. If you can live with that, go ahead. But either way it may not be a bad idea to rinse the mask with tap water afterwards.

Do I dry my mask? Not usually. The air from the CPAP does it quickly enough if I didn't allocate enough time to air dry. (eg. wash it at 8 PM and go to bed by 9:30)

Others may have more expertise but it's my take on the matter after 14 years of experience. BTW I have never used baby wipes (for my CPAP). Even when my daughter was a baby.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for all the answers, i was just curious what you could use

i have been washing with washing up liquid and air drying but have seen lots dried white spots, saw a post about this happening and could be from the liquid, just wondered if wipes would be better

Sleep-well

(01-28-2013, 04:20 PM)Ugly Wrote:
(01-28-2013, 03:47 PM)crazychef Wrote: is there a alternative for the cpap face mask wipes?

The answer is "probably."
You say you use a Mirage Quattro. Let's check the user manual.
"The Mirage Quattro must be used under qualified supervision with
patients who are unable to remove the mask by themselves."
Oh. Dangerous stuff.
"Do not use aromatic-based solutions or scented oils (eg, eucalyptus or essential oils), bleach, alcohol or products that smell strongly (eg,
citrus) to clean any of the mask components. Residual vapours from
these solutions can be inhaled if not rinsed thoroughly. They may also
damage the mask, causing cracks.
• Do not iron the headgear as the material is heat sensitive and will be
damaged."

Okay. Unscented baby wipes.

"Handwash the mask by gently rubbing in warm (86°F / 30°C) water using mild soap or diluted dishwashing detergent."
"Handwash the headgear in warm (approx. 86°F/30°C) water using mild soap or diluted dishwashing detergent. Rinse well and allow it to air dry out of direct sunlight."

Personally, I'd see baby wipes as leaving "residue" just like washing the mask wish soap and not rinsing it afterwards. If you can live with that, go ahead. But either way it may not be a bad idea to rinse the mask with tap water afterwards.

Do I dry my mask? Not usually. The air from the CPAP does it quickly enough if I didn't allocate enough time to air dry. (eg. wash it at 8 PM and go to bed by 9:30)

Others may have more expertise but it's my take on the matter after 14 years of experience. BTW I have never used baby wipes (for my CPAP). Even when my daughter was a baby.

Post Reply Post Reply
The dried white spots are just mineral deposits left over just like a dishwasher can do to drinking glasses. Nothing to worry about. It's not the soap.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2013, 06:00 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The dried white spots are just mineral deposits left over just like a dishwasher can do to drinking glasses. Nothing to worry about. It's not the soap.

thanks for the information

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the unscented CPAP Mask Wipes. I know they are a bit expensive compared to other methods but I buy mine from Supplier #1 and ordered a couple of other inexpensive items and they blessed me with Free shipping! The container has 62 wipes, I don't use them every day so they do last longer. If I had to use Lanolin cream then I use the wipes when I wake. Also if I am congested, have a Cold, or have a runny nose I obviously use them in the morning. So for the most part my opinion is that the 62 wipes will last quite a while. I use the Swift FX Mask and wipe everything except the cloth strap. Hope this helps!
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
I've used non-alcohol and oil free make-up removing wipes in a pinch. They work pretty good and are available at Wally World, but they won't really save you any money. I've found that if you keep your eyes open and look around for deals and promo offers you can get the CPAP wipes pretty cheap. The standard container of 62 wipes lasts me about 2 months using 1 a day. Not bad for a price range of 1 cent to about 10 bucks. I know they are unnecessary and all of that, but they sure do come in handy.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which CPAP Wipes Effectively Eliminate Bacteria and Germs? dharma2255 2 73 2 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,626 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,287 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,861 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Best wipes for cleaning and disinfecting 1kworthy 15 2,263 12-19-2021, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Questions Therapy Thread/Mask Leaks/Wipes newguy99 3 755 05-10-2021, 11:51 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
  Are Wipes Containing cetylpyridinium chloride OK to Use? anderson5420 9 1,120 05-08-2021, 03:35 AM
Last Post: newguy99

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.