Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is it true?
Question 
Is it true?
I got a call today from my sleep clinic to set up my 2 year sleep study. I was told that if I didn't attend my CPAP machine warranty would be null and void. What would they have to do with ResMed?
Anybody got any thouights on this.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is it true?
What??

Um, no. Your ResMed warranty has nothing to do with whether or not you have a sleep study done.

Is your insurance still paying for it? The machine I mean? Are they saying you have to have one done ever so often? Which I doubt, since that means they have to pay for it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Did you hear a loud siren in the background when they told you that?

If so, that was the B.S. Warning Alert System.

If you didn't hear the siren, then the B.S. Warning Alert System in your area is probably broken.

Seriously, I don't see how that could be the case. Is the Sleep Clinic affiliated with the DME where you got your machine and are they talking about some kind of secondary warranty rather than the ResMed manufacturers warranty? ResMed warranty is 2 years, I think. Maybe you have a supplemental warranty through the DME that picks up after 2 years and carries you to the 5 year mark when replacement is generally possible. Maybe, if DME and Sleep Clinic are in cahoots, they require the sleep study to keep that supplemental warranty in effect - that's kind of reaching though. If they told you that the ResMed manufacturers warranty would be null and void though, then they are definitely feeding you a line of Oscar Mayer meatfood product.
Post Reply Post Reply
Uhhhhhh....why a sleep study? Your machine gives out all the information necessary, and a study is only required if your compliance numbers are indicating that machine is no longer benefiting you at the current settings. Soooooo, why a sleep study again? I theory, once you are one a data capable machine, you should turn in your numbers every half year to a a year to your doctor to check on compliance, and if there is any need for adjustment it is up to him/her to recommend an adjustment or further study. Unless you have a very odd set of rules in the US.....
Post Reply Post Reply
Send them a letter. Tell them what you were told on the phone and ask them to send you a letter stating what you heard on the phone.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2013, 06:32 PM)Bompa Wrote: I got a call today from my sleep clinic to set up my 2 year sleep study. I was told that if I didn't attend my CPAP machine warranty would be null and void. What would they have to do with ResMed?
Anybody got any thouights on this.

You heard it from others, it's pure d'crap. Actually if you have any doubts, phone ResMed. I found that they have no problem talking to end users.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bompa, I see that you're a Master Member and a Wiki editor so I imagine You've been compliant with your machine. I also think it's BS unless your insurance changed or something else happened, I can't imagine what. I would certainly follow up on this with the manager of the sleep center, my DME, and my insurance company. I have found that unfortunately not everyone in an office knows what's going on and I often get incorrect information. Dependending what cost to me would be I'd take them up on it, but I'd get the why straightened out first.
Keep us posted, this will certainly help someone else along the way.
Mary
Post Reply Post Reply
"Whenever you want to steal something, you first must cause confusion"

Cynic Warning!!
[All small children cover their eyes here]

Ok, so the Sleep Clinic says you need to spend thousands of dollars for a new sleep study to maintain a cheesy warrenty?
Why not take the same amount you'd normally pay in copayments + premiums, put that in a bank account just for CPAP equipment.
In 3 years you can buy a new machine from that. (might even have some left over for the next machine)

This works!
I have seen airplane owners use the same strategy for regular, expensive engine maintenance.

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Contact your insurance company and tell them what you were told. Also call your doctor ask them if there's a medical reason for your sleep study.

It sounds like you may need to switch to a different DME.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2013, 10:12 AM)Sleepster Wrote: It sounds like you may need to switch to a different DME.

Yep. There's the answer. Don't put up with stupidity, accidental or otherwise. The DME rep is supposed to be a professional. When they don't act like professionals go elsewhere - there's plenty of DME fish in the sea.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can you tell if these are true CAs and OAs? Kathy14225 24 1,347 11-08-2023, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AHI total average vs true AHI graphed hourly average Jessher 9 735 10-23-2023, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Are the machine AHI numbers accurate? 92 to 2 seems too good to be true? apoleary 5 665 06-27-2023, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Mask prices to good to be true ?? sauerkraut 11 1,034 03-25-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Adding a true HEPA filter to APAP for california wild fire smoke Stom 25 5,805 03-23-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: JLRINCT
  Dreamstation ASV VS Aircurve S10 ASV problems reports, with which reports are true?? racprops 0 433 02-19-2023, 06:36 PM
Last Post: racprops
  Need help reading reported CAs as "true" or "false" JoyD. 1 485 01-25-2023, 04:07 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.