Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ad for sleep center "Problems sleeping?"
Ad for sleep center "Problems sleeping?"
This is on the sign board at my sleep center- "Problems sleeping?"
Do any of you consider this misleading? I know CPAP can reduce the number of arousals during the night and stop the snoring which probably helps your bed partner more than you. I consider good sleep a comodity- obviously the sleep center does to, hence their sign. I think the majority, or at least some insomniacs need more help than CPAP. There are popular books that aim to improve your sleep and these seem to be mostly about proper sleep hygiene. Sleep hygiene is is a lot more complicated than it sounds. It means looking at your whole day not just the hour before bedtime. You may need to give up coffee, tea or chocalate early in the day. You may need to start exercising enough to be physically tired at night, but you don't want to exercise just before bed. You certainly give up worrying in bed. Maybe you give up TV, or the computer before bed (and take up reading "War and Peace") to reduce the light hitting your retina.

I go to bed early because my partner has to get up at 2:30AM most mornings. We relax in a darkened room, but do have the TV on. It took me awhile to get used to the TV being on, especially when we didn't have the timer (I know I could have added a timer- just lazy.). I walk my dog a couple of times a day and try to be out for 45 minutes to an hour each time. It's very gentle exercise as he likes to stop and smell. If I get our in the yard and rake or mow or do housework it is a relatively good, active day. I sleep about nine hours on a good night and wake to my dog touching me on the arm.

How do the rest of y'all sleep, what is your pre-bed ritual, your sleep hygiene? Do any of you consider the sleep center's sign to be misleading?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ad for sleep center "Problems sleeping?"
I follow some rather strict sleep hygiene concepts. I don't go to bed until I am tired. I don't nap, although that habit formed because I always woke up feeling so bad from the apnea I didn't know I was having. I don't read in bed. We don't have a TV in the bedroom. If I am reading, I take time to unwind from the book before I lay down. If I don't fall asleep fast or my brain won't shut the heck up, I get up and do something relaxing or distracting. Then try again after at least a half hour. Sometimes I set the music to play on my iPod Touch (Robin Bullock is my current sleep music fave) and set a timer so it shuts off after half an hour. I kinda meditate until I go to sleep.

I don't have a "real" job so I can accommodate my sleep needs or lack of sleep in most cases. Last night I was up all night because I had something on my mind. Then it started snowing so I kept track of the weather conditions. I finally went to bed at 8am but set my iPod Touch alarm for 11 and 11:30 to help me reset my clock. I woke up on my own just a few minutes before the alarm went off. If I am in bed the same day I got up, I am ill.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 1 65 Yesterday, 10:07 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 2 348 04-09-2024, 05:57 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 160 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 611 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,172 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 1,072 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 991 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.