Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] heated air hose
heated air hose
Hi, new to all this but thankful I've found this forum.

Currently trialling a Resmed S9 Autoset with F & P Zest nasal mask.

Can anyone tell me if Resmed is the only company offering heated air hose? That's a feature not even the machine in hospital where I did the sleep study had, and I must say it makes it so much more comfortable. But the cost of a machine like that here in Australia is ridiculous compared to US and other countries. As I am having to buy outright with no private insurance cover I'm interested to know if there are less expensive machines that compare well to the market leaders.

Anyone have any experience with BMC?

Also, how does the Philips Remstar PR1 PRO and System One Humidifier compare to the setup I'm trialling?

This is a minefield for me...Rolleyes
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: heated air hose
(03-16-2013, 09:13 AM)sidetwists Wrote: Hi, new to all this but thankful I've found this forum.
Can anyone tell me if Resmed is the only company offering heated air hose? That's a feature not even the machine in hospital where I did the sleep study had, and I must say it makes it so much more comfortable. But the cost of a machine like that here in Australia is ridiculous compared to US and other countries. As I am having to buy outright with no private insurance cover I'm interested to know if there are less expensive machines that compare well to the market leaders.
Also, how does the Philips Remstar PR1 PRO and System One Humidifier compare to the setup I'm trialling?

First Welcome

You can get a heated hose with the latest model Philips Remstar 60 series machines. Comparing them to the Resmed S9 I can say that I prefer the S9 and most here would agree that the S9 is slightly nicer. Both are excellent machines. I had a Philips Respironics System One (the previous model without heated hose) and it worked well but I hated the display, which was not lit. You need to shine an industrial searchlight on it in order to read it. Also, you cannot set the clock (really stupid). Data capability is more or less the same, but if you forget to put the card in the machine when you go to bed and then put it in when you get up the S9 will give you only AHI, pressure and leak data, where the Respironics machine will give you all the data. The humidifiers work equally well, but if you get the Resmed machine be sure to get the "washable" water tank. The non-washable one is a bear to get apart for cleaning. Even the washable one is not as easy to snap apart as the tank on the Respironics machine. On the other hand, the S9 offers finer control on the amount of humidity than the Respironics machine.

Since you are in Australia and must pay for it out of pocket I must encourage you to buy from Supplier #2 (link to supplier list at the top of every page on Apnea Board). There are numerous Australians active on Apnea Board and several have bought from them. Their service is excellent and the prices are a fraction of what the machines cost in Australia (I bought my S9 from them also).
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sidetwists,

WELCOME! to the forum.!
Supplier #2 on the supplier list here on this board is a great source for open-boxed or gently-used machines for great prices.
I know this is a lot to learn, but, as you read more here on the forum, you'll catch on quickly.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2013, 09:13 AM)sidetwists Wrote: Hi, new to all this but thankful I've found this forum.

This is a minefield for me...Rolleyes

Welcome

I've heard others from Australia say that they save money by ordering equipment from here in the U.S. Not all U.S. suppliers will ship to Australia though. Hang in there for more responses, I'm sure someone from Australia can give you some good advice on this.

I would just like to add that if you end up opting for a machine that does not have the heated hose option, you can get a heated hose system that plugs in separately and heats independently of the machine and humidifier (google "hybernite" for one option, I have also heard tell of an "Aussie heated hose").

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for responding, all of the above. Supplier #2 seems like the way to go for me, and I've also found the hybernite tubing which I'll be getting if settling for anything other than a Resmed :-) I'll be doing a lot of research over the coming days, lucky I have a 2 months trial. Having trouble with my mask F & P Zest, putting too much pressure on the bridge and bottom of my nose in order to get it to seal. Haven't reachd the point where I am prepared to shave off my mo just yet, there has to be a better option. The pillow ones are just so noisy...
Post Reply Post Reply
+1 for S9 AutoSet
I've used both suppliers #2 and #10. Both are very good to do business with and ship Resmed products to Australia
Supplier #10 have more masks selection and sell mask parts separately

Keep in mind, machine have to be returned to place of purchase, in case of anything goes wrong but don,t think its an issue as prices are much less than local rip-off prices

Machines are multi-voltage, you need power plug adapter and for the S9 you can get an S8 power cord to use instead the one comes with the machine. S8 power cord is available from Supplier #13 for $9

I've found the zest have to over-tighten the straps to seal properly which made me try the SoftGel
The SoftGel worked quite well but prefer Activa LT, lighter and stay in place when moving in bed
Activa LT cushion fit on the same frame as SoftGel
Everyone is different, you don,t know if mask going to work for you till you try it out
Good luck. Don,t rush, make sure know what you,re ordering, machines names can be confusing

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2013, 12:09 AM)zonk Wrote: +1 for S9 AutoSet

Keep in mind, machine have to be returned to place of purchase, in case of anything goes wrong but don,t think its an issue as prices are much less than local rip-off prices

I've found that if you state that you have recently moved here that some DME's will accept you as a new client and service the machine you have.

If they ask just tell them that you or your spouse got transfered for work.

Should not be an issue getting your equipment serviced by whom ever you want.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hose volume Willw 4 235 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 951 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 606 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 355 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 577 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,288 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.