Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask or face wear in overnight
Mask or face wear in overnight
This might be the chicken or egg debate but here goes ..

I use a full face mask (forma) and I can get it adjusted leak free . Then after about 5 hrs the leaks start . Around my nose blowing into my eye .

So what is happening , is the seal compressing or my face forming to the mask ? I can see the imprints when ever I see my mug in the mirror .

Its almost like an automatic alarm system .
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask or face wear in overnight
It is probably shifting when you roll over or move in your sleep. When that happens to me the wife will give me the elbow and inform my mask is farting again. Try tightening the straps slightly. Also, a couple times that happened I replaced the straps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Tiny,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2013, 05:34 PM)Tiny Wrote: This might be the chicken or egg debate but here goes ..

I use a full face mask (forma) and I can get it adjusted leak free . Then after about 5 hrs the leaks start . Around my nose blowing into my eye .

So what is happening , is the seal compressing or my face forming to the mask ? I can see the imprints when ever I see my mug in the mirror .

Its almost like an automatic alarm system .

A few different things could be causing that problem.

One thing to try that might help is to use a mask liner. There are several different brands. Just google CPAP MASK LINERS and you'll see what they are and get an idea of shape etc. - then, instead of ordering them, take an old clean t-shirt that you don't mind sacrificing and cut one out of that. The idea is to cut the shape of the mask surface that touches your face out of the t-shirt (only a little larger) and then cut out a hole in the middle of that piece that is almost large enough to expose your mouth and nose (the fabric will stretch some). Cut the whole piece out larger than what you think you'll need and cut the middle hole out smaller than what you think you'll need - extra fabric will give it room to move around a little. Put this on the mask then lean forward to place the mask on your face and then pull the sides of the cloth a little to stretch it enough so the cloth isn't covering your mouth and nose - see if it helps.

Some people like liners, some don't. This is a cheaper way to find out if you like them and if they help. Liners can be expensive because it's recommended to use a new one every night. They absorb the facial oils that could be contributing to the problem you are having. If you like them, then you can cut quite a few out of one old t-shirt. They also help get rid of those marks you say you are getting on your face.

If it works good for you and you decide to start using them every night and don't want to keep cutting up old t-shirts, you can buy a square yard of white 100% cotton knit jersey fabric and cut them from that. I found Amazon to be a good place to look.

If it doesn't work, you're just out an old t-shirt.

Of course; if you want to try liners, you could just order them and fork over the cash (upwards of a buck a piece), but where's the fun in that? If I ever willingly paid a dollar a piece for little pieces of cotton cloth, I would die a little inside.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2013, 08:10 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: One thing to try that might help is to use a mask liner. There are several different brands.

I have been on CPAP for almost a full year now and have always struggled with leaks. Recently I have had some success with liners.

I want to add a technique that one of the liner manufacturers suggested. You can use a medical jelly (in North America, KY brand or equivalent, as long as it is water based) and apply it to the liner where it contacts the mask cushion. You can also double up the liners, again placing the jelly side toward the cushion. And if you use a liner they recommend a face cream (oily) before putting on the mask. They also said that if you double them up you just replace the one next to the cushion every night, so you still use only one per night.

Also, at least one brand (Quietus) says that you can wash their liners and reuse them.

The RemZzz people were careful to point out that my Medicare insurance covers liners, and they even gave me the code. So if you discover that they help you may be able to get your insurance to pay for them. Still, sacrificing an old t-shirt is a cheap way to find out if they work before ordering the expensive ones.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2013, 05:34 PM)Tiny Wrote: Then after about 5 hrs the leaks start . Around my nose blowing into my eye.

Could be oil on your skin. I would sometimes have to wash my face in the middle of the night to get rid of the oil that had accumulated since bed time.

Then I switched to nasal pillows.

You too can wear nasal pillows, just get a hybrid mask.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll give the tee shirt deal a try tonight and see what happens .
Post Reply Post Reply
Happens to my Fx Mask shifting when i roll over or move in my sleep

Its due to the straps coming loose sliding down my head i just slide it back up and its good to go

I also use the mirage liberty mask for a back up in-case i can not get the seal sorted again

here in Canada if you have Mixed Apnea you can have 2 masks a year so i went for a full face The Fx and liberty
still bugs me i have to some how make a mask last a year
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 395 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 594 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 168 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  Low o2 with full face mask Eabhainn 2 264 02-09-2024, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ItsComplicated
  Full face mask tightness pushing jaw back and leaks wickedsleepy 11 745 02-07-2024, 04:30 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.