Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New member saying hi!
New member saying hi!
Well, after years of being "poopoo'd" by my now ex doctor I was finally sent for a sleep study. That doctor was way too holistic..... most stuff could be solved with a combination of herbs, yoga and vaseline so I opted to a more "modern" doctor. Anyway I'll get to the chase, sleep study showed AHI of 35. Six days ago I finally got a S9 autoset and a pilairo. What a difference! Only problem is I went and got a nasal mask (mirage FX) today because the nasal cones didn't get along with the inside of my nostrils and healing time is needed. Not sure which I will stick with, but either way, I'm much better off than the past several years. So that's my story (quick version) and here I am!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New member saying hi!
Hi ToddB and WELCOME! to the forum.!
While there is certainly nothing wrong with holistic medicine, sometimes, you need to go down a different path as you did, good thing, now you can get your apnea treated.
AS far as your nose getting used to your pillows, get some HPA Lanolin, )found in the baby isles of most stores,) and swav a LITTLE bit in your nostriles before you put your pillows in and that should help with the irritation and possibly give you a better seal as well.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome

Take some time and look around the forum. There is a lot of great information here.

As far as initial tips, you might want to check out the following Wiki article with Tips for new CPAP users.

In order to see how well your CPAP is working, you might want to consider downloading the ResScan software or the Open Source SleepyHead software.

Best of luck to you. Sleep-well
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome ToddB!
I got an S9 last month and I must say it's been one of my best purchases!

Welcome
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2013, 07:41 PM)ToddB Wrote: Well, after years of being "poopoo'd" by my now ex doctor I was finally sent for a sleep study.

Oh I'm so sorry for not warning you.
It sounds like the same doctor I had Doctor-no-get-it

Quote: That doctor was way too holistic..... most stuff could be solved with a combination of herbs, yoga and Vaseline

I wonder what he'd do for my hydrocephalus, when there's problems it can only be treated surgically.

Quote: so I opted to a more "modern" doctor.

And you're all the better for it. Congratulations.

Quote:Anyway I'll get to the chase, sleep study showed AHI of 35. Six days ago I finally got a S9 autoset and a pilairo.

Congrats again. Pilairo. I have to look it up.
Part mask, part nasal pillow. How novel.

Quote:but either way, I'm much better off than the past several years. So that's my story (quick version) and here I am!

Welcome
And big hugs Grouphug3
Lots of friendly people here.
Post Reply Post Reply
Been playing around with sleepyhead mostly, I did grab ResScan, but mostly look at SH. When I went in yesterday with SD card in hand he said I am doing very well so that was encouraging. I had a similar instance 20 years ago when I wasn't diagnosed with a brain tumor until it was the size of a baseball, the Dr made all kinds of excuses and never took it too seriously that at 15 I had been complaining of headaches for 10 years, after a school nurse got my parents to take me to a neurologist, and getting an MRI I was quickly admitted to Albany medical center. So I lost tolerance for doctors that don't take the steps that seem necessary and try less than effective treatments. Now that I think of it I also have restless leg syndrome that now is in check for the most part, when that kicks in sleep is impossible.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2013, 08:54 PM)Ugly Wrote: Congrats again. Pilairo. I have to look it up.
Part mask, part nasal pillow. How novel.

I believe there's a discussion of that mask in the Apnea Board Product Reviews Forum.

My DME has suggest I try the Respironics Wisp. Is it something new?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-21-2013, 08:47 PM)Sleepster Wrote: My DME has suggest I try the Respironics Wisp. Is it something new?

It is relatively new. In fact, maybe not all suppliers have it in stock yet. My DME is a very large outfit and they get advance shipments of things, so I got mine in late January. There is a thread here where I have discussed it some. You can find pics online.

To summarize, it is basically a nasal mask but with a smaller and less intrusive cushion than most, and no forehead support. Therefore, it is suitable for those of us who need something minimal and can't tolerate massive gear on our heads, and yet, for one reason or another, cannot use pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome aboard ToddB.

Just so you know ..we're not all on the strange side here.
Bug-eyed

Just a few of us...

Anyway..you'll find a lot of good advice here.
Amazing
Post Reply Post Reply
But it's no fun being *NORMAL* !!
Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 199 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 525 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,081 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,607 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  New member sghalloway 11 1,057 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway
  [Pressure] New member and new OSCAR user squiddog 4 487 09-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: squiddog
  New Member Intro and OSCAR charts DaveInDenver 2 454 08-11-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: DaveInDenver

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.