Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new cpap user - Best Machine/Software?
RE: new cpap user
tiantian, I would also querie the 150 AHI, that is very high and the pressure of 7 is very low for an AHI of 150. It's possible it's 150 for the entire night which would be around 20 (Number of hours slept divided by 150) which would mean you have moderate sleep apnea and you pressure still should be a bit higher than 7. Most machines start at 4, so 7 isn't a dramatic increase. The way AHI's are they are the average number of apnea's (stop breathing for 10 secs or more )you have per hour. Then depending on that number they grade your severity, 0-5 normal, 5-15 mild, 15-30 moderate and 30+ Servere. As you start getting used to it you can then track how you are performing. You can use free software called sleepyhead to track your daily AHI, Leaks, Usage etc. Hope this may help.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2013, 08:23 PM)tiantian Wrote: My AHI was 150 at the start of therapy; went right down to below 2 every night with a pressure of 7. After my follow-up, the tech changed my pressure to 13 but my machine, after just one night, is saying 7.2 for pressure; does it change incrementally?? Is there an error somewhere?

Hi tiantian, welcome to the forum!

Be sure to ask for copies of the full sleep study reports, both reports, including all data. You have a right to these and need them for your personal records and to make sure you understand exactly what the test results were.

Also, if you didn't keep a copy of your CPAP machine prescription, ask for a new copy. You have a right to a copy and will need a copy to show at airports if you are trying to use CPAP machine while sleeping on the plane. Also, you will need to show copy of prescription to any new doctor or Durable Medical Equipment provider if you ever want to change providers or buy replacement parts while traveling.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for all your replies!

I do have the manual; the tech did change the pressure from 7 to 13 (yes,for the whole night); my original AHIs were 150 (very severe OSA!). I had a follow-up after two months because my OSA is severe -- I was started on a low-er pressure to give me time to adjust and find a mask that worked. Also I think this is pretty much the way it is done in this clinic with this hospital.Now I have an appt to go back to the respirologist in May.

I didn't keep the prescription -- and that is a good point as I do a fair amount of travel.I always get and keep my medical reports , so that much I have.

My morning headaches (from oxygen deprivation) are gone; I do feel better. Still no dreaming and now the leakage wind tunnel is keeping me awake. But I am committed to figuring it all out.

Think I addressed your q's and comments? Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: new cpap user - Best Machine/Software?
tiantian, just a couple of tips with the Mirage Quattro and all full face masks, not sure if you have tried mask liners, they help reduce leaks and not having the silicone next to your skin. Also I recommend everyone have the hose coming from above your head rather than by your side. That way the mask is pulled up instead of down and it saves you getting tangled. You can buy a product called a hose lift over the net or you can make one yourself or if you have a bedhead try running the hose over the top of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: new cpap user - Best Machine/Software?
Hi tiantian,
WELCOME to the forum.!
There is a lot to read and learn about CPAP therapy; you can find SO much information right here on this board. Happy reading, feel free to ask questions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2013, 03:32 PM)tiantian Wrote: I do have the manual; the tech did change the pressure from 7 to 13 (yes,for the whole night); my original AHIs were 150 (very severe OSA!). I had a follow-up after two months because my OSA is severe -- I was started on a low-er pressure to give me time to adjust and find a mask that worked.

I think I understand. Maybe you had a hard time with the CPAP machine in the sleep lab the first time, so they decided to go easy on you with a lower pressure. But I thought you had a AHI of 2, so I don't understand why the higher pressure was necessary.

If you don't have a copy of the prescription you can just ask for one. In the US they have to give it to you.

Glad to hear your headaches are less severe.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 415 3 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 87 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 305 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 624 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Oscar and SD cards for machine/user swap ahuman 3 117 03-15-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,733 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.