Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question from a newbie - need to monitor oxygen?
Question from a newbie - need to monitor oxygen?
I am so happy to have found this group!

I was recently diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. (AHI 52). I'm a smallish (5'2" 150 pounds) female. I have had trouble sleeping for quite some time now and my new doctor ordered a sleep study. Apparently my blood oxygen levels dipped into the 40s during the study. Needless to say, the next day I picked up my cpap and began this new chapter of my life. I used the machine at home for 4 nights and then boarded a plane for a planned business trip to Singapore for 7 nights. I'm still in Singapore and get to head home (US) tomorrow. I've used my machine faithfully except for the overnight trip on the plane, where I did not lay down.

My AHIs have been ranging from a high of 21 (one time only) to a low of 4, but mostly in the 4-7 range. I haven't seen my doctor yet, but am wondering if I eventually will be able to consistently achieve an AHI of less than 5?

I haven't had the chance to yet download the software but plan to do so when I get home. I'm wondering if I should purchase equipment to monitor my oxygen? Generally speaking, I feel pretty much like a new person.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question from a newbie
Welcome to the forum!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome

As to your question about oxygen monitoring equipment, I would ask your doctor about that. If he/she feels it is necessary, they will prescribe it so it will be a deductible purchase for you.

Sleep-well
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some do use an oximeter to monitor oxygen levels at night but from what you,re describing feeling like a new person, its an indication the therapy is working

Some lucky few take to CPAP like duck to water but for most its a working progress. Today is better than yesterday and so on

Its not unusual AHI to be higher when starting out but as you get better mask fit and get used sleeping in this particular way should see improvement of AHI and sleep quality

The manual is good read, tells you everything you need to know, available via email, section three
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

S9 sleep report shows AHI (AI, central AI)
95% percentile pressure ... means S9 spent 95% of the time at and below that number
95% percentile leak .., mean S9 spent 95% of the time at and below that number
Resmed deemed leak above 24 L/min unacceptable
http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Purdue writer, WELCOME! to the forum.!
It sounds like you are off to a good start since you are feeling better.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Purdue!

Welcome
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone. I have another question: how accurate is the Res med at detecting central apneas? My data shows a few of these. Is this a concern?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2013, 12:01 AM)Purdue writer Wrote: Thanks everyone. I have another question: how accurate is the Res med at detecting central apneas? My data shows a few of these. Is this a concern?
ResMed reckon its pretty accurate but cannot be certain if you,re asleep when events are scored

Till you get leak well controlled and getting some decent sleep ... data is meaningless

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2013, 12:01 AM)Purdue writer Wrote: Thanks everyone. I have another question: how accurate is the Res med at detecting central apneas? My data shows a few of these. Is this a concern?

(04-07-2013, 06:10 PM)Purdue writer Wrote: I haven't had the chance to yet download the software but plan to do so when I get home. I'm wondering if I should purchase equipment to monitor my oxygen? Generally speaking, I feel pretty much like a new person.

I am a bit confused here. Are you using ResScan or SleepyHead software to look at the data from your machine? In your earlier post, you mentioned you had not had the chance to download the software.

I am not familiar with this particular ResMed machine but my PR machine does not display data in that level of detail.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Purdue..
My two cents worth...Your first step has already been taken and thankfully so. You have a dx and a new CPAP.. Now, put all of your worries away for awhile until you return to your familiar environment of home and comfort of your own bedroom. Your AHI are going to jump around for awhile. Don't stress yourself over any numbers until you have used the CPAP comfortably for several weeks. Your body will respond to the CPAP therapy and your numbers will probably settle to lower numbers. Don;t worry about any CA at this time. Most folks have them all the time. Harmless unless terrible high. Take it one day at a time and don;t try to rush CPAP therapy.. It don;t work that way. Keep your nose into this forum and you will educate yourself from the info that most of the good folks here offer. Keep us posted, and contribute often..
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Your AHI should continue to get smaller. After 5 weeks, I've finally started getting some below 1.0 . This always makes for a good day!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 390 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 133 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 193 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 681 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 488 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 269 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.