Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Interesting Article on Pharmacotherapy Options in the Treatment of Apnea
Interesting Article on Pharmacotherapy Options in the Treatment of Apnea
Came across this in my internet meanderings and thought others might be interested. This is an article for US Pharmacist, with citations and basically says that pharmaceuticals have not been shown to provide a significant benefit. The article lists some drugs which make apnea worse.

Well, it looks like the article is too big to include as an attachment. You can google USPharmacist (no space) and then search under sleep apnea, to find the article. The info on drugs which worsen apnea follows:

Medications That May Worsen OSA: CNS depressants such as opiates, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, older sleep agents, and alcohol can actually worsen OSA by adversely affecting the control of ventilation during sleep and making the upper airway more easily collapsible.37,38 They are an additional threat due to their muscle relaxant properties.37 Other medications such as propranolol, a beta-blocker, and sildenafil, an erectile dysfunction medication, can also worsen OSA.38 Therefore, pharmacists should review medication profiles for those patients with OSA since there are few pharmacologic treatments available. Pharmacists should recommend discontinuation of medications that can have a negative impact on the treatment of OSA.

As usual, I make no claim as to the accuracy or correctness of any information provided. Also, INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Interesting Article on Pharmacotherapy Options in the Treatment of Apnea
I think I've mentioned this problem several times in various posts, but yes, many medications are known to affect one's ability to breath comfortably during sleep. Please be sure of any such effects on any medications you may have been prescribed and when possible, avoid taking them before bedtime. If the prescription is timed so that you are supposed to, please take it up with your doctor and pharmacist to be sure that it may not be a type of drug that may cause respiratory resistance, muscle relaxant or other possible effects that could lead to forms of OSA or CSA.
Post Reply Post Reply
BTW, thank you Doc for providing the disclaimer I used at the end of my post. I should have cited you as the source.

Also, thought your response to user Evamarie was exemplary in its depth and kindness.

Best wishes.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks on both counts.

The disclaimer is not mine, actually, but imposed (and I am perfectly happy about it) from the legal eagles above to prevent any possible repercussions to the Apnoea Board should someone get an itch to sue for any reason. I find it very wise and am fully for it. You may thank our fearless leader for the disclaimer and praise his wisdom. As for citing the source, please take that up with SuperSleeper, as Supes is the source for this, or the legal department at least.

To be honest, I was a bit ticked at Evamarie, because she did not give a proper history in her first mail, which would have saved me from writing a great deal of what I had written, since the causes were from a completely different source than one could infer from the first mail. I hate being imprecise or going down a wrong path in a specific case, and that emphasises the need for the correct information from the get go. And, of course, my time is very limited here, so lengthy replies that don't actually address the question prevents me from helping someone else, or sharing something.

Good lesson to me, a reminder to always get a complete history first. Still, it was good that she felt relieved from the support from our merry band of hose heads. That is what the forum is there for.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 62 03-27-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 619 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 216 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 126 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 284 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 202 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 862 53,072 03-04-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.