Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] AHI changes
RE: AHI changes
(03-08-2012, 08:24 PM)binky11 Wrote:
(03-07-2012, 11:48 AM)Sleeper 23 Wrote: I've been using a Resmed S-9 Elite sleep apnea machine with H5i humidifier for over nine months now. The last few months, I've noticed that the AHI reading each night is very different. It used to be fairly stable around 2 to 4 AHI. Now it has become anything from 1.2 to 18.9 AHI , depending on the night. Is it normal to have such different readings. I'm not sure if this is a mask or cushion problem, or a machine or humidifier problem. Who calibrates a sleep apnea machine in case it is a machine problem? Thanks for any help.

I do not know if I am posting this in the correct thread, forgive me if I am not.
I am going through the forum, and found this post below (in red)
I do have a smart card in my respironics machine, am I possibly able to check my AHI myself, and if so, what would be involved? I did read through changing your own settings, but I am more interested in just finding out what my AHI number is for now. Thanks for any help :grin:

The Apnea/Hypopnea Index (AHI) is the frequency of abnormal respiratory events per hour of sleep. These events are classified as Apneas or Hypopneas. Apnea is when breathing (airflow) stops for 10 seconds or more. Hypopnea is a partial blockage of airflow resulting in arousal and a possible drop in oxygen level. An AHI of 45 would indicate that the patient is experiencing complete or partial airflow blockage 45 times per hour.

The generally accepted ranges are:

AHI < 5 per hour = No Sleep Apnea

AHI 5 to < 15 per hour = Mild Sleep Apnea- (some say that 5-10 would be called "borderline OSA")

AHI 15 to < 30 per hour = Moderate Sleep Apnea

AHI > or = 30 per hour = Severe Sleep Apnea

You need a smart card reader and the softwear. Just make sure that you get the right softwear for your machine.

[commercial links removed]

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2012, 09:18 PM)The Happy Dreamer Wrote:
(03-08-2012, 08:24 PM)binky11 Wrote:
(03-07-2012, 11:48 AM)Sleeper 23 Wrote: I've been using a Resmed S-9 Elite sleep apnea machine with H5i humidifier for over nine months now. The last few months, I've noticed that the AHI reading each night is very different. It used to be fairly stable around 2 to 4 AHI. Now it has become anything from 1.2 to 18.9 AHI , depending on the night. Is it normal to have such different readings. I'm not sure if this is a mask or cushion problem, or a machine or humidifier problem. Who calibrates a sleep apnea machine in case it is a machine problem? Thanks for any help.

I do not know if I am posting this in the correct thread, forgive me if I am not.
I am going through the forum, and found this post below (in red)
I do have a smart card in my respironics machine, am I possibly able to check my AHI myself, and if so, what would be involved? I did read through changing your own settings, but I am more interested in just finding out what my AHI number is for now. Thanks for any help :grin:

The Apnea/Hypopnea Index (AHI) is the frequency of abnormal respiratory events per hour of sleep. These events are classified as Apneas or Hypopneas. Apnea is when breathing (airflow) stops for 10 seconds or more. Hypopnea is a partial blockage of airflow resulting in arousal and a possible drop in oxygen level. An AHI of 45 would indicate that the patient is experiencing complete or partial airflow blockage 45 times per hour.

The generally accepted ranges are:

AHI < 5 per hour = No Sleep Apnea

AHI 5 to < 15 per hour = Mild Sleep Apnea- (some say that 5-10 would be called "borderline OSA")

AHI 15 to < 30 per hour = Moderate Sleep Apnea

AHI > or = 30 per hour = Severe Sleep Apnea

You need a smart card reader and the softwear. Just make sure that you get the right softwear for your machine.

Thank you kindly, I will check into this.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2012, 03:31 PM)Bompa Wrote:
(03-07-2012, 09:42 PM)moondoggy Wrote:
I have been a full year trying to find the right mask that didn't hurt the nose and leave marks. Finally I purchased a ResMed "Mirage Activa"
WOW what a difference! Would highly recommend it.
Bompa

Me too recommend the Activa LT nasal mask, it,s lighter than theSoftGel and can wear it loose but have fit the mask with the machine turned on so the pressure inflate the cushion and it float on the face.
Both the SoftGel and Activa LT cushions fit on the same mask frame.

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.