Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP with allergies
CPAP with allergies
I've been using my CPAP for a little over a month with varying degrees of success. My spring allergies were under control using Nasonex and Singulair. Tree pollen is winding down and I'm trying to get off my meds for that. I'm totally fine during the day but it seems that my nose is always swollen at night and I have a hard time using my CPAP. I started going back to the Nasonex but that stuff is expensive. Do you think I might need it every night regardless of the allergy season? Is there something surgical that can be done?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP with allergies
Are you using the humidifier? That always helps me. If it is hot where you are, turn off the humidifier but keep water in the tank (empty it each morning just like before).

Is your nose blocked before using the CPAP or gets blocked after you start it up?

When you first wake up, before you take the mask off, is your nose clear or blocked?

How long have you had your current hose and mask?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I do have the humidifier on and there is water in the tank. It feels slightly blocked before I put on the mask but when I put it on I can tell that it was worse and that I didn't notice it during the day. It makes it so I can just breathe through one nostril (maybe that's how it is for me during the day too but I don't notice it). I wonder if I have a deviated septum.
Post Reply Post Reply
Normally, the CPAP will help keep the airway clear IF it is due to phlegm. It won't if the nose is physically blocked like swelling.

How long do you try to use the CPAP when it feels this way?

If this is a seasonal thing, you may want to consider keeping a full face mask around to use when this happens.

For me, though, my nose stays clear at night but blocks up within seconds of taking the mask off in the morning. It is sometimes difficult when I first put it on and I have to keep removing it and breathing through my mouth for a bit. Eventually though it all settles down and the CPAP keeps it clear.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
I've hammered through the night but it seems to be a struggle. I always seem to have one nostril that is open enough to get air through. I've only been using the CPAP for a month and a half so I don't have a lot of experience with it. I think it is a swelling thing more than the phlegm. The steroid nasal spray seems to help but I really don't want to have to take that stuff every night even when my allergies are under control.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried nasal rinses? They may help to keep the tissues in there moist and rinse out the irritants.

You may need to look into a full face mask, then.

Allergies so far this season have been rough!
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like a job for a full face mask alright.
Amazing to me that they sent you out the door with a nasal mask, surely they know about your allergies. ?
Hang in there and keep trying!

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to have a nasal mask and had all sorts of issues with my allergies. Plus, I have a deviated septum which were are for the time being going to let be. My dr was not too happy when they gave me a nasal instead of a full face mask, especially seeing as he recommended a face mask. I have found my allergies have gotten better especially if I keep the filters clean. They get rinsed out at least every couple of days.

Paul
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a deviated septum and allergies. The allergies have been a real kick in the pants this year - must be high pollen levels. Everyone is different; but this is what works for me:

-Full Face Mask - I use the Quattro FX. I never end up mouth breathing with the FFM, but I just can't seem to play well with nasal masks or pillows (for reasons too numerous to recount here).

-Maximum Humidity possible- I set my Climate Control to Manual then set the ClimateLine temp. to 86 deg F and set the humidity to 5.5. I would set the humidity to 6 if I could, but at 6 it used to run out of water after about 6 hours. Now that it's warmer out the tank will last close to 7 hours before running out, but I'm able to sleep 7 - 8 hours now so I still have to leave it at 5.5. At 5.5 the bottom of the tank is still slightly wet if I sleep 8 hours. I always let the humidifier pre-warm for 20 minutes before putting the mask on.

-Hypoallergenic filters. I don't know if they help that much or not, but I use them. I buy the generic ones in bulk (much, much cheaper than ResMed brand standard filters) and change the filter every two weeks.

-A few minutes before bed, while I'm waiting for the humidifier to pre-warm, I use three or four good blasts of saline nasal spray (non-medicated like "Ocean" or generic equivalent) up each nostril - then blow my nose - repeat - then one spray up each nostril.

-On a couple of rare occasions (maybe twice in the last six months) when my sinuses were unbearably congested, I've used a Propylhexedrine nasal inhaler (one inhalation up each nostril) to open my sinuses up long enough for the humidity from the CPAP to take over and keep them open. This stuff works wonders as a nasal decongestant if used very sparingly, but regular use will make your sinus congestion worse (rebound) and can cause long term problems - so I only use it as an extreme measure.

If your septum is deviated, you may get better results lying on one side as opposed to the other. I have to sleep on my right side. If I try to sleep on my left side my sinuses plug right up. Something to think about if you are a side sleeper.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Masking with allergies cjde341 4 384 10-14-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Allergies and sleep apnea Rcgop 6 2,152 05-08-2022, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  Surgery for OSA and UARS, help with allergies, food? Cblink19 0 600 02-09-2022, 01:13 PM
Last Post: Cblink19
  Does anyone have Autumn allergies?? My sleep is now improving... CentralApneaUser909 1 639 06-30-2021, 03:53 PM
Last Post: factor
  Spring allergies veloracer 3 671 04-19-2021, 07:42 AM
Last Post: NotADr
  Bad allergies and cpap use Saxmann 10 1,490 01-19-2021, 04:59 PM
Last Post: happydreams
  ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet vs. Dreamstation for Bad Seasonal Allergies? dreamstream 4 1,629 02-25-2019, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Fats Drywaller

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.