Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Wisp just isn't working for me. Switched back to the nasal pillows
Wisp just isn't working for me. Switched back to the nasal pillows
I found myself waking up a bunch during the night with small leaks right at my cheek bones. I would also wake up every morning with my eyes tearing like crazy. Whose bright idea was it to have the vent blow directly up? It made side sleeping worse because the air would then blow in one eye or the other. My AHI claimed to be great with the Wisp (typically less than 2) but I was still feeling tired in the morning. Slept with the Swift nasal pillows for the last 2 nights and the AHI was somewhat higher (around 4) which still isn't bad but I actually slept for the whole night both times. I'll try keeping going with the pillows for the time being. My big problem with them was that whenever I rolled over on my side there would be a leak and it would wake me up. Any suggestions to help with that?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Wisp just isn't working for me. Switched back to the nasal pillows
(05-30-2013, 09:35 AM)Laser Wrote: I found myself waking up a bunch during the night with small leaks right at my cheek bones. I would also wake up every morning with my eyes tearing like crazy. Whose bright idea was it to have the vent blow directly up? It made side sleeping worse because the air would then blow in one eye or the other. My AHI claimed to be great with the Wisp (typically less than 2) but I was still feeling tired in the morning. Slept with the Swift nasal pillows for the last 2 nights and the AHI was somewhat higher (around 4) which still isn't bad but I actually slept for the whole night both times. I'll try keeping going with the pillows for the time being. My big problem with them was that whenever I rolled over on my side there would be a leak and it would wake me up.

I completely agree with your complaint about the vent. I considered creating a small deflector shield out of plastic to glue up around the vent. All masks must have a vent, and it is always a problem keeping the air from blowing on a bed partner.

I find my Pilairo to be far more comfortable than any other mask, but I just couldn't get the leaks under control. I've been doing pretty well with the Wisp so far.
Post Reply Post Reply
JJJ Wrote:I find my Pilairo to be far more comfortable than any other mask, but I just couldn't get the leaks under control.

Me too. The bottom of the cushion keeps popping off in the middle of the night. Is this your problem? What's up with that? The cushion is not that worn. I'm thinking about gorilla gluing it to the mask and worrying about how to get it off carefully later. I ordered the Wisp today but I am heartsick that I have been having this problem with the Pilairo lately. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2013, 12:17 PM)JJJ Wrote:
(05-30-2013, 09:35 AM)Laser Wrote: I found myself waking up a bunch during the night with small leaks right at my cheek bones. I would also wake up every morning with my eyes tearing like crazy. Whose bright idea was it to have the vent blow directly up? It made side sleeping worse because the air would then blow in one eye or the other. My AHI claimed to be great with the Wisp (typically less than 2) but I was still feeling tired in the morning. Slept with the Swift nasal pillows for the last 2 nights and the AHI was somewhat higher (around 4) which still isn't bad but I actually slept for the whole night both times. I'll try keeping going with the pillows for the time being. My big problem with them was that whenever I rolled over on my side there would be a leak and it would wake me up.

I completely agree with your complaint about the vent. I considered creating a small deflector shield out of plastic to glue up around the vent. All masks must have a vent, and it is always a problem keeping the air from blowing on a bed partner.

I find my Pilairo to be far more comfortable than any other mask, but I just couldn't get the leaks under control. I've been doing pretty well with the Wisp so far.

I have been switching back and forth between a Wisp and a Pilairo mask. The Pilairo is much more comfortable, but I too am having problems with a high leak rate, which doesn't happen with the Wisp.

However, I'm not sure that I care about the leak rate, as my AHI with the Pilairo is still quite good - usually around 3 or 4, almost always under 10.

So my question is, if my AHI is good, should I care about the leak rate? I am quite willing to deal with the frowny face on my machine's display each morning.

Thanks in advance

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2013, 02:36 PM)Mike in Toronto Wrote: I have been switching back and forth between a Wisp and a Pilairo mask. The Pilairo is much more comfortable, but I too am having problems with a high leak rate, which doesn't happen with the Wisp.
However, I'm not sure that I care about the leak rate, as my AHI with the Pilairo is still quite good - usually around 3 or 4, almost always under 10.
So my question is, if my AHI is good, should I care about the leak rate? I am quite willing to deal with the frowny face on my machine's display each morning.

If your leak rate is over 24 then your machine cannot compensate and the therapy may be impaired. What the machine reports may not be accurate.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,764 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 94 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,969 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 377 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 321 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 177 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 391 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.