Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Comments please on S8 ResMed S8 AutoSet II with Heated Humidifier
Comments please on S8 ResMed S8 AutoSet II with Heated Humidifier
If anyone is using this machine and can comment on how reliable, noisy and effective the machine is can you offer some comments.

I may be able to get one as a 2nd machine at a good price.

Also I want to be able to see my data daily on my PC so will this machine work with Rescan 4.2? And how is the data accessed via the machine to the computer?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Comments please on S8 ResMed S8 AutoSet II with Heated Humidifier
S8 require data card reader, its available from Supplier #13 @ $120 in Australia and less on ebay

For ResMed machines, I would go for S9 AutoSet. S9 uses SD card and don,t require any special card reader, supported by ResScan and SleepyHead softare. S9 shows more data than S8 and detect central apnea
For comparison between both machines, see specification
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/s9_ser...nc=dealers

Supplier #2 and # 10 ship ResMed products to Australia
I just placed an order with #10, not good timing ... Aussie dollar down

Edit: PR System One REMstar Auto 550/560 cheaper than S9 and supported by SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an S8 AutoSet II and I download the data with ResScan 3.16 and the special card reader. ResScan 4.2 is also compatible, but I haven't seen a reason to install it. It gets the job done but it provides less data than the S9 AutoSet. I get graphical data for pressure, leaks, events, and AHI as well as compliance data. I don't get high resolution flow or snoring data, or the type of event (obstructive or clear airway).

I hear a lot of hissing from the mask, and I get the Darth Vader effect (it seems to make my breathing sounds louder). I don't really notice noise from the machine itself. I can't say anything about the reliability since it only has one year of use.

It's been a good machine for the price I paid ($150 for the machine + $70 separately for the humidifier) although it's outdated.
Post Reply Post Reply
The S8 was state of the art for its time. The S9 supposedly has an improved algorithm and is slightly quieter. As mentioned, the S8 also uses an obsolete data card that can be a challange to find a reader for.

Short answer, if you can get it real cheap and its a backup or travel machine, you make the call. I would not purchase it as a primary machine with the improved devices on the market now unless, again, the price was just too good to pass up.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd pass on the S8. Yes, it's a good machine but the extra cost of the reader will make it not so good a price.

Check out Supplier #2 in the supplier's list (link at the top of every page).
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
First CPAP was one of the earliest Autosets, very heavy with a separate humidifier.

Then I got the S8 with humidifier and been very happy with it. Travelled through France, Switzerland and Italy with it in 2007 without the humidifier and really appreciated to weight saving compared with first one.

Have since purchased one of the small Transcend units for travel and emergencies but the S8 is quite acceptable for travelling and home use.

Went through a period of breaking humidifier reservoirs ( at about $130 here in Australia). Last one was purchased from US and cost $40 plus $25 postage. Surprise surprise, the packing slip showed it was made in Sydney so why the ripoff?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe:

1) S9 differentiates central apnea, S8 doesn't.
2) S9 records airflow waveforms and some other stuff the S8 doesn't.
3) S8 may score more apneas than the S9 will.
4) S8 is very reliable.

I am sure:

5) S9 water tank is much easier to keep clean.
6) No heated hose option on S8.
7) Getting the card reader and getting it to work is much more difficult on S8.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got an S9 Autoset as a backup machine at a good price so at this stage my search is over. I also installed SH and ReScan for data checking. Generally I prefer the Sleepyhead program. The graphs for me are certainly clearer to follow. I opted to purchase a heated hose as well. Both machines I now have are very comparable.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 462 45 minutes ago
Last Post: Old Steve
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 116 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 474 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 216 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 952 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.