Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP humidity and asthma
CPAP humidity and asthma
I think one of the issues I've been having in getting used to my CPAP is getting the humidity setting right for me. If it is too high, it seems to adversly affect my asthma (which is mild in general). I realize that this is something I will need to play with to get to the right point.

Humidity too high makes my lunds feel 'tight'; but without the humidity at all didn't work for me either.

If anyone with any experience with similar issues has any suggestions and/or input I would appreciate hearing about it.

TIA,
dobie

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP humidity and asthma
Hi dobie,
You say that if you have your humidity to high, it makes your lungs tight, try turning your humidity back a notch from the point at where your lungs get tight and see if that will work. You are right, humidity settings are an experimental thing for everyone. Hopefully, you can find a setting that will work for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
What Trish said.

The S9 can detect the humidity level of the air coming into the machine. So if the air is already 40%, and you want it 80%, it will only add enough heat to make that 80% mark. That's why some nights we use all the water and other nights we use very little.

By turning it down a bit, you can then find out where your need is on the scale.

I suggest starting a diary of sorts where you write down what the setting is and how you felt the next morning. That way you remember which setting was the best and which really did not work out.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Humidity and mask choice is about the same, individual preference, what works best for one person might be the worst for someone else

I don,t know about asthma but I find the heated hose (ClimateLine) extremely useful to have, auto adjust humidity to a constant level
http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...lo_eng.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply
Tinker.

Humidity seems to be very much trial and error. Don't assume that more humidity is better. Some people find things are better with low humidity even when you'd think more is better. For some, the more the better.

Some find their humidity need changes from night to night or with the seasons.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks to all for the input.

I do have a climateline hose, and i am playing with the humidiy. I currently have it set on my escape at a 1 at a temp of 75 degrees (which is what the inside house temp is at).
We have a weather station thing that measures temp and humidity inside and out and I put it in the bedroom last night and this morning it showed an inside humidity of 60% (I have no idea if those things are at all acurate)

I slept pretty well abeit not long enough as I went to bed later than usual.
(06-04-2013, 08:30 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I suggest starting a diary of sorts where you write down what the setting is and how you felt the next morning. That way you remember which setting was the best and which really did not work out.

Thank you for this idea. I started last night making a record of my changes. I think this will be very helpful in narrowing down what my settings should be.
Post Reply Post Reply
you can get the small humidity / temp monitors from Wally World made by
AccuRite.
I have several and they are usually within a point or two of each other.
If you are getting 60% humidity that is too high for your room. (vermin, mildew/mold growth love humidity!)
Room needs to be 50% or less. A dehumidifier may be a bit costly up front but will save your house and health in the long run.
It also takes a load off your A/C by removing water from the air that *holds heat*.

For your CPAP you might find that 75% and higher (in the delivery hose) is better for prevention of dry mouth/throat.

Hang in there and keep trying!

Wink

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 155 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] DreamStation Humidity Issue bry248 14 9,162 01-20-2024, 02:59 AM
Last Post: jimbob123
Gross [Equipment] HELP! Heat & Humidity settings are Choking Me! James87 3 372 12-21-2023, 11:00 AM
Last Post: James87
  AirSense 10 and Humidity Setting Columbiabill 16 2,996 12-12-2023, 08:06 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirSense11 - How to increase humidity BlueSky1958 8 672 10-22-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: BlueSky1958
  Desperate for Humidity level help please luigi28me 4 649 09-24-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Lucky7
  [Equipment] Locked Humidity controls JRT2361 1 441 09-06-2023, 07:51 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.