Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI sweet spot
AHI sweet spot
Now I do realise Sleep Apnea and AHI values are not a school yard contest and are serious health issues. So that said can you say for certain if you have a "best" set of figures that directly translates into a I'm on top of the world as opposed to the world is on top of me?

Is your best day necessarily a low AHI day? Can you quantify the difference between a very low AHI and one between say 3 - 5. How would you or can you describe the actual differences? For me I "think" my sweet spot is between .5 and 1.5 with little overall difference in my day regardless of .5 or 1.5.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI sweet spot
(06-20-2013, 08:42 PM)SleepinginAdelaide Wrote: Is your best day necessarily a low AHI day?
No ... quality of sleep and sleeping over 7 hours matter most for me otherwise makes zonk grumpier old man Too-funny
Might also add, good sleep can translate to good AHI too, so both are connected in some way

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI sweet spot
You also have to be very careful about where you get your AHI value from. The standard overall average given in the info screen or even as calculated by SleepyHead et al also include times when you are awake and actively controlling your breathing. I have discovered that, as I first prepare to fall asleep, I futz about with my pillows for a while, and while doing so, end up holding my breath for significant periods. Of course, my CPAP machine interprets this as an apnea event, so I get an artificially high value. In addition, if I happen to roll over on my back, my CPAP pressure is insufficient to overcome the OSA, so I start getting no end of apnea events, and eventually waking up. If I just look at the summary, I can get an artificially high AHI value, even though almost all the events happened in the last half hour. Only by looking at the entire data stream does it become obvious that most of the night was apnea-free.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question How to spot a shady DME? James87 9 522 12-22-2023, 06:16 PM
Last Post: nkasoff
  [CPAP] Sweet morning smell..... H2Daddy 12 8,927 10-24-2023, 12:23 AM
Last Post: fly by night
  how do you spot hypopneas in OSCAR? WarmHoney3650 9 1,915 02-15-2022, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  FFM creating rough spot on my nose Zandor435 5 1,448 01-21-2019, 02:24 AM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Managing the Sweet Spot 0rangebear 8 2,231 04-12-2016, 01:47 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  AirSense 10 water tubs, spot the difference zonk 3 5,409 01-21-2015, 08:26 PM
Last Post: TheOldMan
  [News] Sleep apnea a sweet spot for innovation? Dreamcatcher 5 4,048 07-29-2012, 07:59 PM
Last Post: JJJ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.