Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Chinstrap Users
Question 
Chinstrap Users
Could someone help clear something up for me?
I have been told to put the chinstrap on before the putting on the mask. Some have said to do it in reverse.
I would like to know what the majority of users prefer.Dont-know
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chinstrap Users
(03-10-2012, 07:24 AM)Bompa Wrote: Could someone help clear something up for me?
I have been told to put the chinstrap on before the putting on the mask. Some have said to do it in reverse.
Thanks

this sounds sorta like which leg do you put in your pants first. LOL.... when i was trying to use a nasal mask years ago, the strap hooked to the mask or the straps somehow so the strap was after. the newer ones go over the head seperately. when i tried one recently i put it on after the mask was in place. my wife did the same thing when she tried it.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2012, 07:24 AM)Bompa Wrote: Could someone help clear something up for me?
Thanks
I put mine in reverse, mask first and then the chinstrap.
I wear it quite loose just a reminder to keep mouth closed and try to keep my tongue at the top of mouth just behind the front teeth.
The chinstrap also help keep the mask in place when moving in bed or if have to get up to take a leak during the night.

Post Reply Post Reply
When I first started using my cpap I had to use a chinstrap, I don't use one now, but when I did I always found that it worked best for me if I put it on first.
Post Reply Post Reply
I put my Nasal Mask on 1st & then the ChinStrap.

As Zonk mentioned, the ChinStrap does help to keep the Nasal Mask in place & it seems to also help to prevent mask leaks.
Using the ResMed Mirage SoftGel Nasal Mask with a chinstrap

I do not use either the Ramp nor the EPR Comfort features

Have been on CPAP since December 1998

This is my 3rd machine

I use the ResMed ResScan Software (Version 3.16)
Post Reply Post Reply
There's no correct choice. Try it and see what works for you.

It may be easier to take the mask on and off if you put the strap on first. You might find the mask stays in place better if you put the strap on last. Pressure points, etc. will be different.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Very intersting comments. My MedTech told me to always put the chin strap on first then the mask but I may try it in reverse just to see if it keeps the mask on any better.
Post Reply Post Reply
The thing is, if you fit the mask with no chin strap on, and then later try to wear it over the chin strap, it'll have to be re-adjusted. I always had it in my mind that my chin strap was temporary, and I was one of the lucky ones who ended up not needing it after a few weeks, so I always put it on first. I'd be afraid the chin strap might interfere with a good mask fit.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Everybody.
I tried putting the mask on first for a couple of nights and found it worked better. Helped to hold the mask in place and cut down on leaks.
Thanks again.
Bompa

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,354 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
Question ChinStrap & Data tblaster 2 405 11-28-2023, 10:59 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Trouble getting Knightsbridge chinstrap slowe 9 881 11-27-2023, 03:05 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  [CPAP] Breas Z2 users? acctingman 18 3,160 10-30-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: MontezumasViper
  Any Resmed AirSense 10 users near Bend OR? I’m traveling and need help. Mbranning 4 557 10-24-2023, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Mbranning
  New to CPAP - on week 4 of 6 week trial - Any Sefam S.Box users out there? Kingsway 14 1,719 07-26-2023, 02:59 PM
Last Post: dbcpap
  WARNING to CPAP Users: PREPARE for the Unexpected - When the power goes out SuperSleeper 231 120,284 07-21-2023, 05:07 AM
Last Post: baffled

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.