Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

acceptable leak rate?
acceptable leak rate?
My average total leak is 19.64 and the 95% is 24. Corresponding to a leak rate (non total) ranging between 0 and 9. Is this too high? The graph is quite variable; with stretches of time at 0 and long periods between 2 and 6 and occasional spikes to 8 or 9.

I sometimes wake up with my mouth open and air leaking out, and am wondering if it's compromising my therapy. But I also think it may be a problem only when I'm sleeping less soundly, in the early morning as I'm waking up. Chin strap doesn't help. I'm seriously considering getting a full face mask, but will only do this if it's necessary. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: acceptable leak rate?
Yup. You're leaking. Leaks will take your therapy way down if they persist for long periods.
You most likely need to get used to the full face mask and learn the art of using it effectively.
Then you will see your leaks go down to near zero and your therapy quality go up.
I started out with FFMasks because I knew I was having nasal problems.
With proper fitting, cleaning and care they work great.
I finally switched to total face to handle some sinus issues around my eye orbits.

Good luck and check back! Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I couldn't find Wisp leak rate but other Respironcis nasal mask "total leak rates" about 26 L/min @ 10 so your total leak rate @ 9 looks quite acceptable. The occasional spikes more likely to do with mouth leak, chinstrap definitely can help minimize mouth leaks
Don,t know about you but for me when nose get congested and not getting enough air pass through the nose, tend to mouth breathe (does shows spikes in leak graph too) .. its automatic response

Full face mask allows to breathe through nose or mouth, its a bit more tricky to get a good seal but your pressure is not that high and will come handy when having a cold
Post Reply Post Reply
a nasal mask is definitely more unobstructive and comfortable..but if your a (sometimes) mouth breather as I am...you would be much better off with a full face....a chin strap wouldn't cut it for me..only full face masks are an option..sometimes its the only way I can fall asleep (breathing thru my mouth)
I don't believe anything I hear and only half of what I see
Post Reply Post Reply
I am running full face and average leaks for the night are 0.02%. (Near zero)
Get the right mask and the right care, you can do it too.

Cheers & Good luck!
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 0 25 2 hours ago
Last Post: ahuman
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 6 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 238 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,410 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 116 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 857 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,608 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.