Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need New Machine
Need New Machine
I need a new cpap machine but cannot afford it. my insurance will only pay for one machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need New Machine
(03-10-2012, 02:20 PM)Gmoyer3292 Wrote: I need a new cpap machine but cannot afford it. my insurance will only pay for one machine.

welcome to the forum.

do you have question you want somebody to help you with or are you just making a statement? i don't really know how to answer or reply.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2012, 02:20 PM)Gmoyer3292 Wrote: I need a new cpap machine but cannot afford it. my insurance will only pay for one machine.

When you say that you need a new cpap I assume that you have a old one, if so how old is it? Most insurance will pay for a new one every 5 years, or will fix your old one.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2012, 02:29 PM)greatunclebill Wrote:

welcome to the forum.

do you have question you want somebody to help you with or are you just making a statement? i don't really know how to answer or reply.

I have a old one six years old. How can I get my ins. to pay for new one?
Post Reply Post Reply
Without knowing anything about your insurance, that is a difficult question to answer. For many insurance companies, CPAPs are replaced every 5 years. But, perhaps the better question is "do you need a new one?"

If the answer to that is "yes", then the next obvious question is "why?" Is your current machine broken? Are there newer features that you need that are not available for your machine? Do you just feel like it's time for a new one?

Generally, I suspect your best chance of getting a new machine through insurance is to show medical need. In other words, if your doctor writes a new script for a new machine, your chances of having it approved through insurance are much better. If there is a particular reason that your current machine is no longer acceptable, that, I think, further increases your chances.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2012, 03:12 PM)Ltmedic66 Wrote: Without knowing anything about your insurance, that is a difficult question to answer. For many insurance companies, CPAPs are replaced every 5 years. But, perhaps the better question is "do you need a new one?"

If the answer to that is "yes", then the next obvious question is "why?" Is your current machine broken? Are there newer features that you need that are not available for your machine? Do you just feel like it's time for a new one?

Generally, I suspect your best chance of getting a new machine through insurance is to show medical need. In other words, if your doctor writes a new script for a new machine, your chances of having it approved through insurance are much better. If there is a particular reason that your current machine is no longer acceptable, that, I think, further increases your chances.

My machine is very noisy, My insurance denied my request for a new machine one year ago. I will try again. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2012, 03:00 PM)Gmoyer3292 Wrote:
(03-10-2012, 02:29 PM)greatunclebill Wrote:

welcome to the forum.

I have a old one six years old. How can I get my ins. to pay for new one?

First you need to get a prescription from your doctor, then go to your DME and they will contact your insurance company to see if you can get a new one.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2012, 03:25 PM)Gmoyer3292 Wrote:
(03-10-2012, 03:12 PM)Ltmedic66 Wrote: Without knowing anything about your insurance, that is a difficult question to answer. For many insurance companies, CPAPs are replaced every 5 years. But, perhaps the better question is "do you need a new one?"

My machine is very noisy, My insurance denied my request for a new machine one year ago. I will try again. Thanks

A machine that is 6 years old is way behind the technological curve.

Have your Doctor write you a prescription for a new machine noting that a machine 6 years old is just too far behind in the technologies to satisfy your medical needs.

Mine was 8 years old & still working, but the "technology" bit worked for me.

By the way, my Sleep Doctor thought my machine was only 5 years old & she was going to use that same reason & says it works all of the time.

I am in a BCBS PPO insurance plan.

Unless the "noise" of the machine means it is not operating properly, I would not even mention that. Wanting a quieter machine won't pass muster IMHO.
Using the ResMed Mirage SoftGel Nasal Mask with a chinstrap

I do not use either the Ramp nor the EPR Comfort features

Have been on CPAP since December 1998

This is my 3rd machine

I use the ResMed ResScan Software (Version 3.16)
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2012, 06:24 PM)Steven Wrote:
(03-10-2012, 03:25 PM)Gmoyer3292 Wrote:

A machine that is 6 years old is way behind the technological curve.

Have your Doctor write you a prescription for a new machine noting that a machine 6 years old is just too far behind in the technologies to satisfy your medical needs.

Mine was 8 years old & still working, but the "technology" bit worked for me.

By the way, my Sleep Doctor thought my machine was only 5 years old & she was going to use that same reason & says it works all of the time.

I am in a BCBS PPO insurance plan.

Unless the "noise" of the machine means it is not operating properly, I would not even mention that. Wanting a quieter machine won't pass muster IMHO.

Thanks will give it a try
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,142 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,788 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,319 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,753 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,248 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.