Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chinstrap suggestions?
Chinstrap suggestions?
Didn't want to muck up Bompa's thread...

While I don't think I open my mouth in my sleep I frequently (several times per night) wake up with an extremely dry mouth. Think I'm going to try a chin strap to see if there is any difference.

With all of them out there does anyone have any specific recommendations, or are they all pretty much the same in the end?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chinstrap suggestions?
See if your periods of dry mouth coincide with drops in the humidity tank level. I think the difference in chinstrap design is the harness used to hold it in place. Some simple straps don't even have a harness, so they are a bit harder to keep in place. I've even heard of people making them out of ace bandages.

I opted for one that had a harness around my head, which helped hold it in place and made it easier to adjust its position.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the "Around the Ear" model,over the mask, and find it works quite well.
The link below will give you some suggestions.

Seeing as I can'tpost a link go to Supplier #3 and go to chinstraps , a lot of choices.
Post Reply Post Reply
Although I use a chin strap nearly every night, I have given it a break every so often and used with some success a soft cervical collar that can be purchased at a drug store for about 18 bucks. It stays out of the way of the mask interface and is quite comfortable. I does get a little hot around your neck, but does work pretty good once you lay down. Works well for sleeping in any position.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2012, 01:45 AM)mckevin32 Wrote: Didn't want to muck up Bompa's thread...

While I don't think I open my mouth in my sleep I frequently (several times per night) wake up with an extremely dry mouth. Think I'm going to try a chin strap to see if there is any difference.

With all of them out there does anyone have any specific recommendations, or are they all pretty much the same in the end?

I use the Original Delxue Chistrap by Respironics.

Go to Supplier #1 at http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Search for "Original Deluxe Chinstrap".

That supplier also makes their own at a much cheaper price.

My BCBS PPO discounts the "Original Deluxe Chinstrap" down to what the Supplier manufactured one sells for. So, I get the "real thing" for the lower price.

Note on the video for that chinstrap, that the chinstrap is worn over the mask & not under it.

The "Original Deluxe Chistrap" is shown towards the end of that video.
Using the ResMed Mirage SoftGel Nasal Mask with a chinstrap

I do not use either the Ramp nor the EPR Comfort features

Have been on CPAP since December 1998

This is my 3rd machine

I use the ResMed ResScan Software (Version 3.16)
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, I have to ask the dumb newbie question... what does the chinstrap do for you? Does it somehow help jaw position to avoid tissues collapsing to reduce the likelihood of obstructive events?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2012, 10:35 PM)Crippiter Wrote: Okay, I have to ask the dumb newbie question... what does the chinstrap do for you? Does it somehow help jaw position to avoid tissues collapsing to reduce the likelihood of obstructive events?

there is no dumb question, especially here. the chinstrsp is used by people using nasal pillows and masks to hold the mouth closed so they don't open their mouth while sleeping.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,927 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 252 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Help - Initial Titration Suggestions gli890 2 305 02-17-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Dreamstation 2 feels like it isn't treating my apnea (any suggestions)? Sunday3 4 287 02-05-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Decent - but we all deserve better than that! Suggestions please. CPAPveteran 9 586 12-28-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Chin Strap Suggestions Jose Castro 9 819 12-17-2023, 08:09 PM
Last Post: eok361
Question ChinStrap & Data tblaster 2 403 11-28-2023, 10:59 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.