Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Should a prescription be required for CPAP?
This poll is closed.
No
42.67%
32 42.67%
Yes
57.33%
43 57.33%
Total 75 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Should a prescription be required for CPAP?
RE: Should a prescription be required for CPAP?
(03-14-2012, 09:54 AM)CHanlon Wrote: I agree that there should be at least an initial prescription. One thing I *don't* think should be part of it, is a restriction on CPAP vs APAP - and issue I had. I had weeks of data from a loaner APAP machine that APAP was more effective for me then CPAP... yet my 2 hour, fitful sleep during my titration study didn't "qualify" me for one. I had to argue for it, and in the end, buy it outright because my Dr. wouldn't submit that I needed one.

Thank you for your post--I am in the same boat as of today. I had 4 hrs sleep at the second sleep over at the clinic. The tech said I wouldn't qualify based on last nights study for the auto. Plus he changed the settings to constant 11 as it cpap with a ramp setting as well. I tried it, at home tonight, thought i was having a panic attack, it was horrible, and I can not sleep with it. I had 4 hrs sleep last night, and now have no idea tonight how i will manage as I had severe apnea 48 pr hour when tested last month , and put on the auto for trail. I have 2 more weeks before going back to the dr. but I wont last that long. I am a senior who I swear was ready to stroke or have a heart attack before getting my machine last month-[chest pains, high bld pressure, feeling like i was having an anxiety attach, all went away with the auto machine for one month, -now it has been change--i will try and deal this tomorrow ---but no way can i use the cpap i got today--stupid gov't won't even let you pay out of your own money to upgrade--its cruel and crazy..Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2015, 11:22 PM)Joanster Wrote: [quote='CHanlon' pid='2888' dateline='1331736884']
I agree that there should be at least an initial prescription. One thing I *don't* think should be part of it, is a restriction on CPAP vs APAP - and issue I had. I had weeks of data from a loaner APAP machine that APAP was more effective for me then CPAP... yet my 2 hour, fitful sleep during my titration study didn't "qualify" me for one. I had to argue for it, and in the end, buy it outright because my Dr. wouldn't submit that I needed one.

The tech was feeding you crap. You don't need special qualification to get an auto machine. Just insist that the doctor write the script for an auto machine as (a) your needs may change and (b) the automachines provide data to improve your care.
Post Reply Post Reply
In Ontario OHIP will only pay the extra few$$ they do for an auto if medically indicated. (They pay a minimum, you pick up the rest). That means there has to be reason that straight CPAP is less effective for the patient. Typically this means there has to be a spread of at least 4ccH2O between min and max pressures.

A poor quality study (to short, too broken, etc.) won't give the full set of sleep cycle and positional (side, back, stomach) data, and the spread of pressures needed won't be seen.

As far as the OHIP APAP policy goes, maybe it's timefor OHIP to rethink that since the manufacturers price gap between the machines has dropped over the past several years. The DMEs overcharge for everything anyways. I buy my supplies online from the US and get them shipped in. Still cheaper that way.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, the tech at the sleep clinic should not have changed your settings. It is up to the doctor to prescribe the settings, and the DME RT will adjust them. It is not his machine to touch.

He might either have been trying to be helpful. Or is the sleep study clinic also dispensing the equipment? That is very odd. Anyways, as I said in a different post, take your machine to the place where you got it from and tell them you are having problems.

Post Reply Post Reply
Before a CPAP is issued, the person shall be required to take a 40 hour training course approved by the state; and submit to a criminal background check which shall include livescan fingerprinting. There shall be a 10 day waiting period. Before delivery, the person shall demonstrate safe handling of the machine. All CPAPs shall have a fingerprint ID system such that only the patient can operate the machine. Every CPAP shall be delivered with a childproof lock. The humidifier capacity shall be limited to 10 milliliters of water. A distilled water purchase permit shall be required to obtain water refills. The Department of CPAP shall keep a record of on the make, model and serial number of all issued CPAPs. An annual record fee of $25 shall be required to maintain the DOC.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 57 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 120 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  [CPAP] Advice required regarding data Mjfbeeslaar 4 384 12-28-2023, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Prescription settings AfibApnea 12 793 11-21-2023, 09:08 PM
Last Post: AfibApnea
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 982 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  [CPAP] Preparing for first night with CPAP (help required) applebee 2 432 10-28-2023, 11:20 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Question [Diagnosis] Sleep test Required/Mandatory ??? dalabera 9 762 10-26-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.