Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

full facemask
full facemask
I have used a Wisk nasal mask for about 2 months. It was comfortable (soft), seemed to work ok (AHI approx 2.5) but I had difficulty breathing. My nose is rather large, the mask was a "large" size, but many times I had difficulty breathing. To a point where I, out of frustration, would just take it off and get a "good nights sleep."

A friend of mine loaned me his spare full face mask (Mirage Quattro). It fits very well, no breathing constriction, comfortable...everything is right about it. Except that after about a weeks usage my AHI is about 7.5. My machine setting is 10. I bumped it up to 12 last night and AHI is 10.5. I know I need more than one night before jumping to conclusion, but before I waste time, thought I'd ask the Oracles. Grampy Peter

Philips System One Heated Humidifier
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: full facemask
Hi grampypeter,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your question and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2013, 02:10 PM)grampypeter Wrote: I have used a Wisk nasal mask for about 2 months. It was comfortable (soft), seemed to work ok (AHI approx 2.5) but I had difficulty breathing. My nose is rather large, the mask was a "large" size, but many times I had difficulty breathing. To a point where I, out of frustration, would just take it off and get a "good nights sleep."

A friend of mine loaned me his spare full face mask (Mirage Quattro). It fits very well, no breathing constriction, comfortable...everything is right about it. Except that after about a weeks usage my AHI is about 7.5. My machine setting is 10. I bumped it up to 12 last night and AHI is 10.5. I know I need more than one night before jumping to conclusion, but before I waste time, thought I'd ask the Oracles. Grampy Peter

Philips System One Heated Humidifier

Do you know what your large leak percentage is?

That will shoot my AHI up faster than anything with my Mirage Quattro, although my pressures are quite a bit higher than yours.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the Mirage Quatro (sp) over the last two nights and never made it past 2 hours either night before ripping it off in my sleep I guess. I so wanted it to work for me as it is more comfortable than the Fisher & Paykel one I started out with. The F&P actually stayed on my head all night I don't think it is the leaks for me so much as heat build up on my face over time.

I am actually going to try the oracle tonight. That will be a whole new experience. I used to scuba dive so the in the mouth thing won't be so bad, although not being able to swallow properly and drooling like an idiot, might not be so great. Not to mention nose inserts to seal nasal leaks.

I am still new to this and still frustrated. What I wouldn't give for a full eight hours of sleep. When the CPAP is working for me I am more rested, but just not sleeping all the way through the night. And I know it is those apnea events waking me up. If I could get them down to zero I might just get 8 hours. Maybe I need to crank up the pressure to 50 or something. No apnea would survive that hurricane.
Post Reply Post Reply
One of the first masks I wanted to try was the Wisp. I wear glasses, and the Wisp would allow me to be wearing the mask while putting my glasses on and taking them off. Sadly, even the largest size seemed too small for me. It felt like the one edge of the mask was right at my nostrils and one good inhale was going to seal the mask to my nostrils.

Rather than abandoning nasal masks and going for a full face mask, have you tried other nasal masks?

I guess it depends on the reason you had difficulty breathing. If it was because your mask was too small, a "traditional" nasal mask might serve you better. If it was because your nose (sinuses) got plugged up and you would need to breathe through your mouth, then yes, a full face mask would be appropriate.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you check the break-down of the AHI at both pressures (from prior readings). I suspect the increased AHI with the pressure increase could be due to increased Central Apneas that will probably fade with time. That could possibly also be the case with the change in masks (due to change in intentional leak rates).

In any case; if it were me, I would stick with the most comfortable and best fitting mask available.

As long as it isn't leaking like a sieve, AHI can be adjusted for a lot easier than a mask that just doesn't fit facial features right...in my opinion.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm surprised to hear this, because I had also had issues with the nasal mask (was breathing through my mouth), switched to the FFM and had much, much lower leaks and AHI. Although part of that is just the new CPAP user central apneas going away, as I understand it.

How's your leaks look? That would be my first guess and make sure to get those under control before messing with the pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you can use a nasal mask then think about nasal pillows - I find them better than a nasal mask except when I have a cold and the nostrils are sore
Resmed make extra large for the Swift FX though you have to ring up the supplier directly to get it with them. It usually just gets shipped with the standard 3 sizes - S, M, and L in the bag.
and though your nose may be large - are your nostrils?, as that is what these sizes refer to.

I love the lower profile and it feels far less constrictive and easy to breath through with the right size -I use medium - with small I cannot breathe and it is terrible, with large I leak everywhere but in the words of Goldilocks - medium is just right (for me). They were fussy to get adjusted right but the Resmed youtube on it helped a lot. Oh, and the machine must be on with them when testing them as it flares the cones out - with the machine off the cones just collapse and block the nostrils and you cannot even imagine how the "silly things" could work.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm actually the opposite of alby_c. I started on a Swift FX nasal pillows set up but found my movements / sleeping positions tended to move the pillows and cause leaks. Pillows can be a great mask, if they work for you...I ended up going to a Mirage FX nasal mask and it seems to stay put better for me....of course, YMMV.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 530 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,614 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 703 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 402 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  Low o2 with full face mask Eabhainn 2 264 02-09-2024, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ItsComplicated
  Full face mask tightness pushing jaw back and leaks wickedsleepy 11 749 02-07-2024, 04:30 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.