Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My turn: SpO2 peer review requested
Smile 
My turn: SpO2 peer review requested
My pulse oximeter arrived and I only have one night of data, but I'm looking for opinions. I'm a little concerned about a couple of points. My base SpO2% is only 94%, even while awake. As a test I made my wife wear the oximeter and hers read 98-99%. Makes me wonder if I'm not breathing right in general. Confused

There seemed to be some "events," and my SpO2 dipped into the 80's a few times. The lowest was 85%.

AHI, according to the APAP data, was 0.33. That paints a pretty picture, and I hope the O2 data supports it.

Thanks in advance, folks. I'm just now learning how to read these reports.

[Image: Sp_O2_2013_9_7.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My turn: SpO2 peer review requested
I think it looks like a great report. I wish mine looked that good. Total time in minutes below 88% is 0.1 minutes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-08-2013, 10:19 PM)STL Mark Wrote: I wish mine looked that good.

Ah! You made me blush... !

94%, even while awake, is nothing to be concerned about then? I just thought it was interesting that my wife's was a whole 5 percentage points higher. I'm 29 and she's just a few years younger.

One other thing I want to ask: those few times during the night when my heart rate goes up seem to correspond with periods when my CPAP pressure was higher. Does the higher pressure cause a higher heart rate, or is it more likely that I was in REM / dreaming during those times?
Post Reply Post Reply
I would say, looking at the chart, that you had a near perfect night. There is nothing there to be bothered with. Average O2sats of 94% is pretty common, and even a little mucous in the nose could lower it even further, so don't worry, it is a healthy reading. A lot of factors can effect the difference between 94 and 97%, including formation and size of the nasal cavities, the respiration rate, mucous flow, and nasal wall collapse (not that much of a factor in nasal pillows, since the pressure of the air flow through them keeps the walls from collapsing too much, and one reason I went that route rather than a mask).

You heart rate indicates your arousal state, and will vary over the night as you move between various levels of sleep and semi wakefulness. The pressure is more likely a response to your breathing pattern, but have a look and see if there are events clustered around the same periods as your increase of heart rate - the pressure rises in response to events or near events, and these events will change your sleep state, and thus your heart rate.
Post Reply Post Reply
DocWils, thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 840 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  SPO2 still falling with CPAP freedom yayy 12 393 03-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: freedom yayy
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 862 53,024 03-04-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Help on analysing SpO2 drops a21900 9 828 03-02-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Per Laursen
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 680 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 229 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.