Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new mask stinks of plastic
new mask stinks of plastic
I have just received my new Resmed Quattro FX mask, for when I have the flu, like now, when neither pillows or nasal masks work for me. Kudos to supplier 10 for getting this to me in 4 days!

Like the nasal mask - this thing reeks of plastic out of the bag and this shuts down my sinuses. fortunately I could air and wash and air the nasal mask before I used it over a couple of weeks - using my pillows instead.

However I will have to use it tonight as my nose is just too clogged up to think of any nasal only approach.

I have given it a quick wash a soft soap which has helped a fair bit - is there any other tips to de-stench this quickly?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: new mask stinks of plastic
Hi alby_c,
Usually when I get a new mask I soak it in warm soapy water for quite a while and then I dry it.
Sounds like you have already done that from what you said in your post.
Hope you get to feeling better soon and in case I forgot, WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
You've done all that I would do. Wash with soap and let air dry. I've always wanted to try putting in plastic bag with baking soda to see if it does any good.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
You could try dissolving some baking soda in water and soaking your mask in it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-12-2013, 05:20 AM)alby_c Wrote: I have just received my new Resmed Quattro FX mask, for when I have the flu, like now, when neither pillows or nasal masks work for me. Kudos to supplier 10 for getting this to me in 4 days!

Like the nasal mask - this thing reeks of plastic out of the bag and this shuts down my sinuses. fortunately I could air and wash and air the nasal mask before I used it over a couple of weeks - using my pillows instead.

However I will have to use it tonight as my nose is just too clogged up to think of any nasal only approach.

I have given it a quick wash a soft soap which has helped a fair bit - is there any other tips to de-stench this quickly?

You could try 1/2 distilled water and 1/2 vinegar.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with me50's solution: a white vinegar and distilled water bath, rinsed in hot water and air-dried. Though the drying really isn't necessary as you're going to be blowing moist air through it anyway.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Disassemble and everything but the headgear in the dishwasher. Hottest water setting, maybe multiple cycles. Let it air out while still disassembled until you need it.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for the clues.

Even with the residual smell, it worked great as i had to mouth breath most of the night - hate this flu going around
It fit nicely which was a relief - its a fair punt when you buy online never having seen one in the flesh.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 386 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,639 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,321 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,888 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  AirSense10 plastic smell dankboy422 10 2,059 09-22-2021, 03:26 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  How to eliminate weird plastic smell from ResMed ASV? mb635 5 1,326 01-01-2021, 10:07 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Does one NEED to replace P10 plastic frame? hegel 3 823 10-24-2020, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Canuck 2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.