Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

sleep study
sleep study
Just curious. Those that had more than one sleep study, did you have them done at the same place? I just wonder if getting a 2nd sleep study at a sleep center where they are not familiar with you would be wise.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: sleep study
If you wanted a second opinion, sure. But you have an Autoset so unless you are having difficulties, another sleep study may not be necessary.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've had a sleep study at two different places and I can say not all sleep study places are made equal. If you have one whose doctors's opinions you trust and like then I'd use that one.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-24-2013, 12:55 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: If you wanted a second opinion, sure. But you have an Autoset so unless you are having difficulties, another sleep study may not be necessary.

So, you would suggest going to the same place for a 2nd sleep study? I am not clear on that.

I have an autoset but 95% of the time I am at the upper level pressure of 20 so my doctor, as well as myself, feel that another sleep study should be done to see if I need a machine that goes higher than 20 or not.

(09-24-2013, 12:56 AM)eviltim Wrote: I've had a sleep study at two different places and I can say not all sleep study places are made equal. If you have one whose doctors's opinions you trust and like then I'd use that one.

You are correct that they are not equal and that is what concerns me about going to a second place. Not sure that I completely trust the first place either but I have seen worse.

thank you both!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi me50!
You have a very capable machine but if you are having positional apneas it can only help so much.
Have them check to see if you are throwing all the apneas while sleeping on your back.

If so you can get your AHI numbers WAY down by simply sleeping on your side.

See what you think.

Cheers!
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
If the data from your autoset is giving your doctor pause, then there is reason for exploring further... a second location, again assuming you trust them and they are reputable, may provide another option. Another option would having the second location look at your data from the Autoset. They may be able to interpret your already collected data and provide an opinion.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thinking-aboutI know that some sleep clinics are not ABSM accredited. I'd make certain that you'd go to an accredited place. I've had 3 sleep studies myself, all at ABSM accredited clinics.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Wendacious,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Regularly bumping against 20 is not necessarily meaning you need a different machine. If your AHI is lower than 5, if you are feeling like you are sleeping well, and if you are not sleepy during the day, then you may be just fine where you are.

Your machine, according to your profile, is set practically wide open. Have you or your doctor considered closing that gap? By closing the gap, the machine is better able to react to events and prevent one from happening. As it is now, it has so far to run between, it could be over-reacting or "running away" with the pressure.

My suggestion is to close that gap a lot. Look at your data to see what your lowest is while you are asleep. If, say, it rarely goes below 12 most of the night, then set it there. Then observe the data for another week to ten days.

Or go for the second sleep study. Sleep studies are superior in several ways. Most of all, they track body position, sleep stage, and body movement. Other than that, they hook you to an autoPAP and observe the data for a few hours over one night versus your machine which has data from every night you've used it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2013, 12:53 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Regularly bumping against 20 is not necessarily meaning you need a different machine. If your AHI is lower than 5, if you are feeling like you are sleeping well, and if you are not sleepy during the day, then you may be just fine where you are.

Your machine, according to your profile, is set practically wide open. Have you or your doctor considered closing that gap? By closing the gap, the machine is better able to react to events and prevent one from happening. As it is now, it has so far to run between, it could be over-reacting or "running away" with the pressure.

My suggestion is to close that gap a lot. Look at your data to see what your lowest is while you are asleep. If, say, it rarely goes below 12 most of the night, then set it there. Then observe the data for another week to ten days.

Or go for the second sleep study. Sleep studies are superior in several ways. Most of all, they track body position, sleep stage, and body movement. Other than that, they hook you to an autoPAP and observe the data for a few hours over one night versus your machine which has data from every night you've used it.

The pressure is set that way because that is what my doctor (internal medicine) wrote on the script.

I have an appointment on Oct. 7 to see a pulmonologist and sleep study doctor and to get another sleep study scheduled. Sadly, they cannot read the sd card in his office so I am going to either print out the report or take it somewhere that can print it for me.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 2 73 10 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 87 1,335 04-13-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: PandaZA
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 353 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Do I not need a CPAP anymore? In-Lab Study Results brehski 6 204 04-03-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 68 6,248 04-02-2024, 04:13 PM
Last Post: ArcherNeedsSleep
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 377 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 146 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.