Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Sleep Study
RE: New Sleep Study
(10-15-2013, 11:31 AM)Peter_C Wrote: Granted, my studies were done many years ago, but my understanding is that the 'tech' is supposed to be watching you - so why did the tech ask you that? You were asleep, and they were (supposed to be) watching you? Plus during all of mine, they were filmed, so they could (and did) show me jerking and heaving and even sitting bolt upright (without waking completely) several times during the night.

NOTE: I was told I had "life threatening OSA" - as my O2 dropped into the mid 60s many times, and my apnea count was really high (can't remember the exact number any longer, but above 80), and I never got to REM sleep - so for me, my AHIs being >10 is wonderful now~!

I am not saying coincidence, but headaches do just happen sometimes. And for me, pattern changes mess me up badly. I recently switched my BI-PAP from set numbers for EPAP and IPAP to the 'autoset' mode, and it's only been the last few nights that my numbers have even gotten back to my 'normal' - yet the only change is a one number increase during the night.

I agree completely that it sucks that the tech did not do as instructed and test you on BI-PAP, or at numbers higher than 16 - for those two reasons I feel it too was a waste of your time and $$$. But, I believe the idea is, to find the lowest pressure that makes you both stable, and gives you low numbers. To my knowledge, too high a pressure is just as bad as too low a pressure.

I can only assume that the 'autoset' algorithms do the job they are supposed to do. I don't know how they work, or truly how good they are compared to a knowledgeable tech and all the wires, etc can do. But I think that one value to the autoset is it's 'watching' you night after night after night - instead of a one session snap-shot - plus, the autoset (hopefully) can handle random changes (cold, stuffy nose, being really tired, etc)...

agree. my major concern is that my auto set high pressure is 20 and if I am at that pressure every night, maybe I need a higher pressure than my machine can give. Maybe tonight I will change the settings to 12-17 and see what happens.

Post Reply Post Reply
That's why I ended up having my surgeries, because my EPAP pressure was 19, and they feared that the machine wouldn't be able to provide what I needed.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2013, 11:40 AM)Peter_C Wrote: That's why I ended up having my surgeries, because my EPAP pressure was 19, and they feared that the machine wouldn't be able to provide what I needed.

doesn't bipap go up to 25? I am going under the assumption that I am going to have to depend on myself to help me! have a blessed day
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, but EPAP pressure is everything but inhale, and IPAP is what pressure it rises to for inhaling. my sleep Doc likes a pressure change of six for me, so if my EPAP was 19, my IPAP would be 25.

My current set numbers (my sleep doc doesn't like autoset machines) is EPAP 7, IPAP 13. I recently changed it to 'autoset' to see what would happen, with MIN EPAP of 7, set IPAP increase of six, max pressure of 25. Last few nights (not using software, only machine data results), I have been seeing a pressure of: 13, 14.6, 14, 14.2 (last night) - so it seems that my machine thinks that my pressure should be a touch higher, but it is also varying too.

I do think you are correct, Doctors and techs may know more than us, but they only see a limited picture - not day to day to day, and quite frankly, no one will care as much as you will.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Me50 if I were you I would fight for a Bipap ASV machine.
I might as well be you, I am going in tonight for my sleep study and about to start my own battle with a rip off DME who inflated the prices of the ASV machines by a factor of 4, so my 20% copayment would cover 80% of the true retail value. I have price checked with Supplier #1 and my sleep doc, who also sell DME. Both confirm a price of ~$3000, not the $12,000 to $14,000 quoted by Apria.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2013, 01:48 PM)bwexler Wrote: Me50 if I were you I would fight for a Bipap ASV machine.
I might as well be you, I am going in tonight for my sleep study and about to start my own battle with a rip off DME who inflated the prices of the ASV machines by a factor of 4, so my 20% copayment would cover 80% of the true retail value. I have price checked with Supplier #1 and my sleep doc, who also sell DME. Both confirm a price of ~$3000, not the $12,000 to $14,000 quoted by Apria.

I know you won't know any results tomorrow after your sleep study but let us know how it went and yes I will be fighting for the proper treatment for myself does anybody know about the Amara ffm
Post Reply Post Reply
Just got home from titration sleep study.
The ASV feature was very noticeable. It will take some getting used to when i get my new machine.
The folks i dealt with were very knowledgeable and professional. I was impressed. Now if the folks who do the report are equally skilled and PROMPT, i will be very pleased.
However i am home already and haven't received my copy of the report yet. Haha
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2013, 01:48 PM)bwexler Wrote: Me50 if I were you I would fight for a Bipap ASV machine.

From Supplier #2 the old model 36007 "ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt" is available "open box special" new for $1849. The 36007 has basic ASV mode (which automatically adjusts Pressure Support) but not ASVauto mode.

Newest model 36037 "ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt" (or 36047 if ordering both blower and humidifier same time or 36057 if ordering blower and humidifier and heated hose same time) has the full ASVauto mode (which automatically adjusts both Pressure Support and EPAP) but usually is not available from Supplier #2.

Supplier #2 usually (but maybe not currently) has "open box special" new PRS1 BiPAP autoSV Advanced (usually older "50 series" without heated hose option, in contrast with newer "60 series" which supports heated hose option) for about $1800. All "Advanced" models have the full ASV auto mode. Only "System One" models work with SleepyHead software.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-16-2013, 10:17 AM)bwexler Wrote: Just got home from titration sleep study.
The ASV feature was very noticeable. It will take some getting used to when i get my new machine.
The folks i dealt with were very knowledgeable and professional. I was impressed. Now if the folks who do the report are equally skilled and PROMPT, i will be very pleased.
However i am home already and haven't received my copy of the report yet. Haha

Glad you had a good experience.

I was on the machine 6.67 hours and slept 2.9 hours in my latest sleep study. when I got home, I slept most of the weekend.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 220 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 74 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 529 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.