Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

NOISE? (PRS1 460)
NOISE? (PRS1 460)
Philips Respironics
System One 460P
RemStar Pro with C-Flex+
Mode: CPAP 10cmH2O

How much noise should this machine make? It's so loud I have to wear ear plugs to get to sleep. I haven't had a good nights sleep since I got the _)%)&@^^ thing.

I hate to be a whiner but, this CPAP thing is suppose to do me some good.

I also am having a time with my Mirage Quattro mask. It tickles my nose and I have to take the thing off to scratch. Life's a bummer??
These "golden years" aren't for sissies!

CPAPRAP
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: NOISE???
cpaprap, I use a Resmed vs your Phillips but it is fairly silent, the only thing I hear is the echoing of my breathe, I do use ear plugs but only because I have grown sensitive to any noise. CPAP now should be almost silent and have no lights.
The Mirage Quattro is a tricky beast to get used to, I give my nose a bit of a scratch before I put it on but think you will get a tickle with any FFM or Nasal mask.
It won't help the tickle but do you use mask liners for comfort?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your machine should not be noisy. First check that the humidifier is firmly attached to the unit. If that's ok look at the connection of the hose to your mask. A leaky connection, or leaky mask can be very noisy. Does the machine have room for good airflow around it?
I hope you find something easy that takes just a little fix. My Respironics unit makes so little noise I have to hold my hand over the vent hole to be sure it's on. Some masks- usually the older ones I think have very noisy vent holes.. Yeah, about the itchy nose- bummer. I've gotten good at easing a finger under the mask for a quick scratch then hope I fall asleep quickly.

So- again about the noise- maybe remove the humidifier and see how the noise level is without it. If it's quiet something about your humidifier or connection is the problem. It's really easy to take off, just be sure to remove the water chamber before doing any big movements with the machine.
Let us know what the problem is. I don't use a humidifier and do fine without extra humidity.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2013, 05:44 PM)cpaprap Wrote: Philips Respironics
System One 460P
RemStar Pro with C-Flex+

How much noise should this machine make? It's so loud I have to wear ear plugs to get to sleep. CPAPRAP
Every person has a different interpretation of loud. Your machine should run at about 30dba, which is a little higher than a Resmed S9 which is about 24dba.
I have an S9 and it sounds almost silent to me. Possibly there is something
wrong with your machine if it is much higher than 30dba, which is described as the noise level of a whisper.

For comparison:
Decibel Level (dB) Source
140 threshold of pain: gunshot, siren at 100 feet
135 jet take off, amplified music
120 chain saw, jack hammer, snowmobile
100 tractor, farm equipment, power saw
90 OSHA limit - hearing damage if excessive exposure to noise levels above 90 dB
85 inside acoustically insulated tractor cab
75 average radio, vacuum cleaner
60 normal conversation
45 rustling leaves, soft music
30 whisper
15 threshold of hearing
0 acute threshold of hearing - weakest sound
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2013, 05:44 PM)cpaprap Wrote: Philips Respironics
System One 460P
RemStar Pro with C-Flex+

How much noise should this machine make? It's so loud I have to wear ear plugs to get to sleep. I haven't had a good nights sleep since I got the _)%)&@^^ thing.

I hate to be a whiner but, this CPAP thing is suppose to do me some good.

I also am having a time with my Mirage Quattro mask. It tickles my nose and I have to take the thing off to scratch. Life's a bummer??
These "golden years" aren't for sissies!

CPAPRAP

I have the Philips Respironics System One. Sixty Series, 760P auto bipap. This is their latest auto bipap.

Without the humidifier attached, it is noisy, even with earplugs. With the humidifier attached, it is much, much quieter.

I always wear earplugs. With earplugs, and with the humidifier attached, it is hard to hear any noise beyond the normal noise of my breathing.

I do not use humidity. So, with the humidifier attached, I adjust the settings to no humidity. But I always use the machine with the humidifier attached to kill the noise.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: NOISE? (PRS1 460)
Cpaprap, I updated your subject line so the folks with the answers can see it and respond.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: NOISE? (PRS1 460)
Thanks for the input. I'll take it in to my DME and let them listen to it. My wife has a health problem which is my main worry with the ear plugs. If she needs me I may not hear her--- scary!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,256 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 86 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 142 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 356 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44
Question Resmed Autoset 10 buzzing noise - what now? mogulman 8 593 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Equipment] Airsense 10 Noise tblaster 4 344 01-15-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: tblaster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.