Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie - keep waking up
RE: Newbie - keep waking up
When I first got my machine, around 8-9 years ago, it took me around 3 weeks to get used to it. Only this year have I started forcing myself to sleep on my stomach, which also took a couple of weeks to get used to. What convinced me to do this was having daily feedback from Sleepyhead. Once I started looking at the results every day I was able to make a better connection between what I was doing and my AHI. For me sleeping on my back raises my AHI significantly. My AHI for the last year is 1.68, for the last 6 months, .98, for the last 30 days, .62. I still wake up 1-3 times a night but I generally go back to sleep right away. I didn't know about Sleepyhead until I found this site. I can't wait to show my doctor at my next appointment.

Bottom line, hang in there, it will take awhile to get used to but it will be worth it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie - keep waking up
(10-25-2013, 11:12 AM)LOVEDOG Wrote: MDH: Have you ever tried straight CPAP. I see that your pressure needs are not that high, which is a good thing. I don't know exactly what your titrated number is, but I would try one pressure maybe at 11 or 12 just to see if it is the pressure changes that are waking you up. Some people do not do well with AUTO because of that.

Hope this helps!

LOVEDOG

I was originally set up for CPAP at 11. Of course, once I discovered that I could change the settings on my machine, that's what I've done.

Part of my sleeping problem is that I still wake up needing to pee, just not as often as I did before PAP. I know PAP is supposed to help with that, and it has, but it's still a problem for me.

I've found that I do pretty well at a lower starting pressure, say 8 or so, up to 12. No OSAs, just some hypopneas and centrals. Most of my AHI number now is hypopneas. I don't know if I should be trying to deal with that or not, or even if my machine can deal with them.

Anyway, getting back to your suggestion, I'll try straight CPAP for a couple of nights and see what happens. I believe my AHI numbers are lower on auto, but I don't have the data in front of me to check.

Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 12 165 17 minutes ago
Last Post: Valtor
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 396 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 196 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 295 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 160 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.