Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How I Keep My Mouth Closed
How I Keep My Mouth Closed
I use the "Chin-Ups" (Boomerang) along with the "Ruby Chin Strap" to keep my mouth closed. I have a very difficult mouth to keep closed and have found rather than tape over my lips, the "Chin-Up" lets you talk, drink liquid or cough and still have your jaw held up. This works because it keeps your lips together without pressure. I was hoping to just get away with the Chin-Ups alone, but that is not enough for me.

Hope this helps anyone who has a hard time with this problem.

LOVEDOG

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How I Keep My Mouth Closed
I have to same problem occasionally and tried different types of straps and bands but they all bothered me. It felt too confining and if i had to get a drink or scratch my nose, all that had to come off.

One day i was playing with my dog's play toy, a small foam rubber ball covered in some kind of fabric. NO, i didn't try the used one, but we had some new ones and i placed it under my chin and it worked. At first with my tossing and turning i lost the ball, but my wife sewed a small elastic band to it which goes around my neck loosely just to keep the ball from getting lost. It looks a little funny but for me better than straps over my face.

I started with a full face mask, but now that i can keep my mouth shut, i am very happily using a nose pillow.
LOL i am looking at my new avatar, something obscure i found on the internet. NO that is not my current setup.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2013, 10:26 AM)drgrimes Wrote: I have to same problem occasionally and tried different types of straps and bands but they all bothered me. It felt too confining and if i had to get a drink or scratch my nose, all that had to come off.

One day i was playing with my dog's play toy, a small foam rubber ball covered in some kind of fabric. NO, i didn't try the used one, but we had some new ones and i placed it under my chin and it worked. At first with my tossing and turning i lost the ball, but my wife sewed a small elastic band to it which goes around my neck loosely just to keep the ball from getting lost. It looks a little funny but for me better than straps over my face.

I started with a full face mask, but now that i can keep my mouth shut, i am very happily using a nose pillow.

any chance of some pics of that( I cant vision it)...
regards....Jamie
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like a necklace with a single, large, soft, pendant. I imagine something the size of a tennis ball. It lodges between chin and jaw, preventing the jaw from dropping. Sounds intriguing, but I don't see what gives it side-to-side stability. In other words, what stops it from sliding sideways?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2013, 10:26 AM)drgrimes Wrote: I have to same problem occasionally and tried different types of straps and bands but they all bothered me. It felt too confining and if i had to get a drink or scratch my nose, all that had to come off.

LOL i am looking at my new avatar, something obscure i found on the internet. NO that is not my current setup.
I am going to try your doggie toy trick. I was miserable last night dealing with full face mask leaks. It was a constant torment all night. I might as well be having apneas as this. So I dragged myself to the store and got a doggie soft fleecy ball and some Velcro. Let's hope works so I can use my Nano Fx.

Post Reply Post Reply
Lukie, I hope it works for you. If the pet toy does not work, just roll up a couple of fluffy wash cloths and place them under your chin. I am so happy now that I am able to use nasal pillows now. The full face masks were driving me nuts with leaks, plus just being general uncomfortable. This solution works so much better than any kind of chin strap.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 348 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 308 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 225 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 794 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,163 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 491 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.