Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hi Everyone,

I went into the doctor after having trouble sleeping. I would wake up every night around 2 am and sometimes be able to get back to sleep and sometimes I would be awake until I would have to go to work at 8 am. Anyway this started to happen 3 years after I had a terrible accident where I was almost killed. The accident fractured by c2 vertebrae, broke both my ankles, left wrist and also suffered a traumatic brain injury where I lost my short term memory. When I had my first sleep study found out I stop breathing way to many times. Then had a second sleep study with the CPAP machine. After the second study I was prescribed a CPAP machine and have had it now for about a month.

Had some questions for everyone:

1. How long did it take you to get used to it? I am still not used to mine.

2. If you download software and read the card. Does this data get erased after its read? I want to keep track also on what the machine reads. The place where I got the machine also needs to download the data for my doctors.

Thanks

Shawn
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Member
Hi EVAC41 and welcome to the forum
CPAP is long term treatment. Some people feel better once they begin treatment but most of us can take weeks or even months to adjust. Once you adjust to using CPAP, you,ll sleep better. Even if you don,t notice a change right away, stick with the treatment. The benefits are worthwhile

You can download your data and no one will be any the wiser
Which S9 you have, model name shown next to stop/start button

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello and welcome EVAC41

It took me about three months to really get settled with CPAP. I had a lot of central apneas so after much trying with a S9 Autoset I changed to an S9 VPAP Adapt which really did the trick. The other thing is to get a mask which is comfortable and doesn't leak.

Regards reading the card, some members have reported that their computer writes hidden files (or changes the datestamp on files) which then confuse the CPAP machine. Safest is to always lock the card before you insert it into your computer or card reader. (And unlock it when it goes back into the S9)
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2013, 03:09 AM)EVAC41 Wrote: Had some questions for everyone:

1. How long did it take you to get used to it? I am still not used to mine.

2. If you download software and read the card. Does this data get erased after its read?

Shawn

Welcome, I also started my CPAP journey in October. I too am still trying to get accustomed to this new way of sleeping.

On all SD cards there is a small lock switch on the edge. This prevents the computer writing or deleting data on the card. When you take the card out of your machine, slide the switch to the 'LOCK' position (indicated by a small padlock symbol). Make sure you put it back to the 'open' position when you return it to your machine.

I always unplug the power cable from my S9 when I want to remove the card. When you replace the card in your S9 and connect the power again you will see a message on the S9 screen 'Reading SD Card', this takes a while, and it gets longer as the data builds up.

The ResMed S9 Auto stores detailed data on the card, but only for a limited period. All the summary data is kept as far as I can tell. Most of the long timers on this forum suggest reading the card every 7 days or so.

I always copy the data from my card to a folder on my PC. I then import it into Sleepyhead from that folder.

ResMed's own software (ResScan) is what your clinician will probably use. That will only read from a SD card mounted in a USB reader. I copy the data from my S9's card onto the PC, then copy it to another SD card and read that second card with ResScan. That way I am confident ResScan will not change the data on the original card. I don't have a ResMed card reader, but the software seems happy with the generic card reader I use. The card in my S9 is a 2 GByte one, the other card I use is a 1 GByte one which seems plenty big enough for now.

I prefer Sleepyhead for reviewing the data, as it is much more flexible and easier to zone in on what you want to inspect. I do have ResScan as well so I can see what my clinician will see and create a report similar to what he will be looking at.

All this data is a bit overwhelming, but there is plenty of information out there in the web so you can start to understand what you are looking at.

Good luck with your journey, keep it up!
Diagnosed October 2013.
Resmed S9 + H20 for 7 years
2020 updated  ResMed Autosense 10 and F20 Mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome

I know others have already stated this but I will repeat it again. It is a good idea to "write protect" your SD card prior to installing it into your SD drive in your computer or laptop to keep your data from accidentally being erased.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi EVAC41,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CPAP therapy can take quite a while to get used to. I encourage you to stick with it.
Best of luck to you and hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the information. I am glad I found this board.

I will be sure to put the card in locked mode before download any information.

Which software is best to use and shows more information? Rescan or sleepyhead.

Thanks again,
Shawn
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2013, 10:49 AM)EVAC41 Wrote: Which software is best to use and shows more information? Rescan or sleepyhead.

Shawn, you should probably try both software products and decide for yourself. I personally like the SleepyHead better as it's easier to read/interpret.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2013, 11:06 AM)PollCat Wrote:
(11-20-2013, 10:49 AM)EVAC41 Wrote: Which software is best to use and shows more information? Rescan or sleepyhead.

Shawn, you should probably try both software products and decide for yourself. I personally like the SleepyHead better as it's easier to read/interpret.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you check the data (AHI, leak) on LCD screen sleep report
Your pressure shown in user profile 5 is on the bottom end of pressure scale, 4 is the lowest. Even with EPR, the pressure doesn't drop below 4 regardless of settings level. Everyone needs are different, I need high pressure otherwise at low pressure feel like suffocating not getting enough air. You did not say which model you have, AutoSet and Elite are data capable machine, Escape models are not (only reports usage data on machine and SD card)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 139 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 498 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,025 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,560 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  New member sghalloway 11 1,013 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway
  [Pressure] New member and new OSCAR user squiddog 4 458 09-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: squiddog
  New Member Intro and OSCAR charts DaveInDenver 2 429 08-11-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: DaveInDenver

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.