Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apap Problems
RE: Apap Problems
(11-30-2013, 10:07 PM)Gottop69 Wrote: I have tried a nasal mask. With no luck
A tap pap leaked around the mouth and that's with chin strap.
Had a swift for a week both nasal pillows put bad sores in my nose
The ffm is so far the only way I can sleep. I thought about buying a quarto fx.

If your pressure has reached 14, you would need to make sure that you don't stop at 10.8. Does this help?
Post Reply Post Reply
The sleep lab brought 10 masks for me to look at and try on. I tried on 3 nasal masks and 2 of the 3 didn't work well. I don't think I would do well with nasal pillows but would consider it later on but for now, I need to get a mask that is comfortable and won't wake me up. If one ffm and/or nasal pillow doesn't work, try another one. there are a few nasal masks out there with minimal headgear and small and lightweight nasal masks that only cover the nose. You could talk to your DME and see what options they can come up with for you. My DME won't let me try on their masks as they said they don't have a way to clean them. That makes it really hard. The sleep lab I went to this past week let me try them on and hooked me up to a machine to see how it felt. In almost 3 years, this was the only time anyone has paid attention to my needs and concerns and tried to help.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm in the same boat. DME not helpful. Won't let you try anything on. So I have spent $500 in masks. That's why I worry about buying another one.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I downloaded sleepy head seems way easier to read.
I changed my bottom to 6.4 and top to 12. I will try that and see what numbers are tomorrow. Does that seem like a safe jump
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2013, 11:23 PM)Gottop69 Wrote: So I downloaded sleepy head seems way easier to read.
I changed my bottom to 6.4 and top to 12. I will try that and see what numbers are tomorrow. Does that seem like a safe jump

That looks like a safe range to start. Don't change anything after one night - get a week or so of data and look at the trends. If your pressure has got up to 14 before, you may need to get to that pressure, but you can take it up slowly. Have a look at the graphs and see if the pressure is maxing out at 12 frequently. If it is, you'll need to increase it a bit.
Post Reply Post Reply
Now that you have made the initial change, leave it alone. Don't touch it again for at least ten nights.

You are looking for trends. Each night is different and you can't make a night by night change in pressure. If you look at the data you have now, you'll see what your normal range has been. That's what you are looking for now. What is your "new normal" at this range? Will it be the same? Better? Worse? You have data to compare it to but it will take time.

Just look at the data, see how you are doing, and in ten days or longer, decide what to do.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Gottop69
Congrats, very good numbers indeed. Some of us need more time adjusting to CPAP therapy as your GP said. Don,t make too many changes too soon otherwise you would not know whats works and what not. Give it some time to works and listen to your gut feeling.
I would not get carried away with numbers at this stage, imo comfort is most important ... comfortable bed to sleep on, Ramp/EPR/humidity level adjustment and of course comfortable mask

Here some good tips for CPAP newbies
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users
Post Reply Post Reply
As others have said, your numbers look pretty good. $500 on masks? Wow! My DME said insurance/medicare allows me a new one every three months, which I have done.

My DME allows me to try masks at their store, hooked up to the same machine that I have. They can get credit for all those trial masks, so it really doesn't cost them anything. Another thing you might try when insurance won't pay is do an Amazon (can I mention them?) search for the mask you are interested in. I have bought a couple of really good ones for less than $30 ea.
Post Reply Post Reply
So seemed to help. Not as groggy. Did have a little tightness breathing today. But that has been pretty normal.

Ahi last night 0.7
95% pressure 10.2
High was 11.4
Leaks 7

I set my pressure to 7-13. I will do this for a few days and see how it trends.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 371 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,010 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 576 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 432 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,421 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,150 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.