Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Back up rate and not breathing.
RE: Back up rate and not breathing.
How are you doing Peter C.? I hope you have found another way to not be bored than croaking off from anemia. I hear the weather has been crap down there. Hope all is well, okay? I am still awaiting the arrival of my new Resmed S9 auto adapt. This was supposed to be an action packed winter for me. As it is I sleep eat and read, keeping the stress level down.
Post Reply Post Reply
/snicker

Looks like I will yet live again...

New bloodwork has my hema-whatever at 11.9, a touch low, but almost into the normal range. Feel better overall, but still way tired easily. Must just be a wimp...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2014, 11:34 AM)robysue Wrote: goodonya,

The Resprionics ASV machine has a backup rate feature. It can be set to OFF, AUTO, or a specific number of "breaths per minute" when the machine is run in ASV mode.
And if you buy a brand new Resmed S9 Vpap Adapt (the Resmed ASV), and have the DME use the same prescription to set up the S9, then chances are the DME will turn the backup rate OFF on that machine as well.

Hi robysue,

Actually, the S9 VPAP Adapt is more automatic and far less adjustable (or misadjustable) than the PRS1 BiPAP autoSV Advanced.

The backup rate on the S9 VPAP Adapt is not adjustable. Effectively, the backup rate is always in Auto mode.

(01-09-2014, 11:34 AM)robysue Wrote:
(01-09-2014, 06:05 AM)goodonya Wrote: I was reading the fine print on my Respironics ASV Bipap and saw where they said the machine was not intended to be a breathing restarter. My prescription on that machine had the Backup Rate turned off. I could hold my breath and the machine would simply not pump any air.

I'm pretty sure that regardless of what the back up rate is set to, if the apnea appears to be an OA based on the results of the PP algorithm, the machine will wait for you to start breathing on your own. And I'm pretty sure the Resmed S9 Adapt reacts the same way: If the apnea in progress appears to be an OA based on the results of the FOT algorithm, the machine will wait for you to start breathing on your own.

Actually, the S9 VPAP Adapt treats immediately both obstructive apneas and central apneas; it jumps in almost immediately with a backup rate based on our recent respiration rate.

If I swallow (which creates a 100% obstruction for a few seconds), the machine kicks in immediately. Takes a little getting used to. (After a while, we learn to relax, go with the flow and schedule our swallows between breaths.)

(01-10-2014, 03:39 AM)goodonya Wrote: The new sleep doctor had given me the new prescription:

Epap min. 6, Epap max 12, Ps min, Ps max 10, max pressure 20,

BPM auto

Hi goodonya.

What is your prescribed PSmin?

It is good that your PSmax is at least 10. The machine will not increase Pressure Support to its maximum value except when needed.

(01-10-2014, 03:39 AM)goodonya Wrote: The DME reset the Respironics to the new settings with the Auto on
The machine which was fine according to the DME did exactly what it did before taking it in to get checked out. It pulsated air against my face on the inhale and on the exhale. I was so exhausted I went to sleep with it doing it and woke up three hours later with it still doing it.
I tried it one more time after that and then I was done. No more Respironics Bipap AutoSV advanced, DME, old sleep doctor. Three years was enough.

With bilevel treatment, the mask pulsating (doing push-ups on your face) is normal/unavoidable if using a Full Face Mask. I think the pulsation is even more noticable if using a Total Face Mask such as the Respironics FitLife TFM.

If like me you are a mouth breather, I recommend the ResMed Quattro FX with a RemZzz mask liner to prevent mask burping/flapping. Or a ResMed Mirage Quattro with ResMed Gecko gel pad to protect the nose bride and prevent leaks blowing into the eyes.

Take care and don't give up, friend.

--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Vaughn, Hi, whoa good catch! I did not put in the number.

Ps min: 4

I found the ffm worked best after a lot of experimentation in the beginning of the three years I spent with the Respironics Avs advanced.

At no time during those three years and two identical machines Respironic machines did I have the pushup effect happening. That came in at the very last few weeks.

I tried it several times like that doing the pushups. I was used to it doing that occasionaly doing a few mild pulses gathering algorithm. That never bothered me. What it changed to was an unbearable thing. I tried the total face mask only once it was especially awful. I returned to the ffm and tried several more times. Same thing. Then I took the machine in. It was fine. Then I tried the new prescription. The machine still did the same thing.

It had been a long upsetting frustrating three years culminating in a situation that was like a giant blinking sign(or pulsating mask) saying stop! Regroup! I had, on every level of my being... had enough.

I have been on to the Quattro mask with the gel cap for quite a while. That was a workable combination and I am pleased you mention it. It was a hard fought battle getting it learned on my own.

I am waiting for my new Resmed Auto Adapt - I got the one you mentioned to me the #36057

I am an occasional mouth breather. That is why I like the ffm. The ffm will fit even less because I have lost more weight. That is why I am trying to use the total mask. I hope it works with the new machine.
Thank you Vaughn, your advice and friendship is appreciated... smiles..

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 43 1,064 7 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 233 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 113 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 851 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,958 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.