Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Are naps encouraged??
RE: Are naps encouraged??
Afternoon nap is quite common in some countries and some studies have shown that people who nap are less risk of hart attack

Some places encourage power naps as thought such naps boost productivity

Nap whenever you can but always with PAP Bed
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe if you need a nap, then take one...but only if you are using your CPAP!
Sometimes I nap once or twice a week and feel so much better. Listen to your body.
You should know what you need. Your Doc. isnt the one on CPAP. Sleep-well
Just wanted to add that I know this is an older thread I responded to, but us Newbes look at older posts to learn all we can.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I definitely disagree with that. If you are experiencing daytime sleepiness on the regular then yes, maybe there is some problem that needs to be looked at, maybe your apnea isn't under control or you have something else potentially going on. But if you're tired a nap really helps. For me, I need to be well rested in order to make good decisions in my life at work, regarding my diet, interactions with people.
Post Reply Post Reply
GrammaBear, Do you have issues falling asleep at night or staying awake during the night?

From the research I've read, naps are really only bad for insomniacs who have issues falling asleep or staying asleep.

To quote the National Sleep Foundation...

Pros:
1. Naps can restore alertness, enhance performance, and reduce mistakes and accidents. A study at NASA on sleepy military pilots and astronauts found that a 40-minute nap improved performance by 34% and alertness 100%.
2. Naps can increase alertness in the period directly following the nap and may extend alertness a few hours later in the day.
3. Scheduled napping has also been prescribed for those who are affected by narcolepsy.
4. Napping has psychological benefits. A nap can be a pleasant luxury, a mini-vacation. It can provide an easy way to get some relaxation and rejuvenation.

Cons:
1. Naps can leave people with sleep inertia, especially when they last more than 10-20 minutes. Sleep inertia is defined as the feeling of grogginess and disorientation that can come with awakening from a deep sleep. While this state usually only lasts for a few minutes to a half-hour, it can be detrimental to those who must perform immediately after waking from a napping period. Post-nap impairment and disorientation is more severe, and can last longer, in people who are sleep deprived or nap for longer periods.
2. Napping can also have a negative effect on other sleeping periods. A long nap or a nap taken too late in the day may adversely affect the length and quality of nighttime sleep. If you have trouble sleeping at night, a nap will only amplify problems.
3. One study has indicated that napping is associated with increased risk of heart failure in people already at risk.

Of course, napping may be a sign of other sleep disorders, but that's a separate issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
Encouraged? Not by the medical profession. Necessary in the real world? Absolutely!
On a long-haul drive, feeling ridiculously sleepy, I would definitely take a 15 minute power-nap. Revive, survive.
On an ordinary day, a nap makes a difference in the ability to function.
Of course, this all depends if you can wake from a nap refreshed. If you wake just as listless as before, there is no point.
If napping negatively affects your normal night-time sleep pattern, and you have no pressing need for that extra boost, then don't. Pros and cons - add them up for your situation.
Post Reply Post Reply
I asked my Dr. at my first follow up appt. today about naps and he was fine with them- with or without CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Exclaimation 
Eat when you are hungry; sleep when you are tired; make love whenever you can. Way-to-happy Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2015, 12:33 PM)novatom Wrote: I asked my Dr. at my first follow up appt. today about naps and he was fine with them- with or without CPAP.

If your doc told you and tells other patients with OSA that it is okay to take a nap without your/their machine, I think I would be looking for another doctor

I read a post and I think it was here but not positive about a man that was out doing yard work and came in and cleaned up and took a nap WITHOUT his machine and he didn't wake up. I believe his wife said that it was an apnea related cause of death.
Post Reply Post Reply
Napping without CPAP is definitely a bad idea, but it's not as bad as not doing CPAP at all.

Insurance usually require you to use the CPAP 4 hours a night before they'll pay. I think a lot of doctors have sort of accepted this as "all you need." I think this is wrong and any sleep without CPAP is harmful.

I think of it as being sort of like smoking. If you're a two pack a day smoker, you're a lot better if you drop back to half a pack a day, but it's still harming you. One hour's sleep without CPAP is not as bad as 8 hours without.

As for naps with CPAP, if you're a new CPAPer having problems sleeping with CPAP, a nap during the day might make it harder for you to adapt to the CPAP at night.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2015, 09:35 PM)me50 Wrote:
(01-20-2015, 12:33 PM)novatom Wrote: I asked my Dr. at my first follow up appt. today about naps and he was fine with them- with or without CPAP.

If your doc told you and tells other patients with OSA that it is okay to take a nap without your/their machine, I think I would be looking for another doctor

I read a post and I think it was here but not positive about a man that was out doing yard work and came in and cleaned up and took a nap WITHOUT his machine and he didn't wake up. I believe his wife said that it was an apnea related cause of death.

My sleep apnea is rated "moderate," and I believe the Dr. was referring to my particular risk (or lack of it). Not everyone is the same when it comes to sleep apnea.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Afternoon Naps rkashyap 10 1,405 12-17-2021, 02:05 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  AHI less than 2, but still tired when wake up in the morning. Feel good after naps. ChinaMan 14 3,600 12-09-2019, 11:00 PM
Last Post: SleepyTexasGirl
  Avoiding Naps Helpful? ronlecroy 7 1,639 08-25-2018, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Do naps count toward compliance? pinetree 9 2,381 08-11-2018, 06:32 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [split] Naps IowaMC60 5 1,556 10-20-2017, 10:34 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  [Admin Note] Rules clarification - posting text of outside articles is encouraged SuperSleeper 2 1,488 12-14-2016, 02:50 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Thumbsup The Joy of Naps eviltim 8 3,703 01-19-2015, 01:41 PM
Last Post: eviltim

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.