Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Design and eye pressures
Mask Design and eye pressures
When I started CPAP in the middle of November my pressures in each eye were 23. After a month of CPAP with Quattro Air my pressures went down to 21 in each eye. Now with a month of being on the Nano Nasal mask my pressures have shot up to 25.

There have been several studies that say CPAP therapy can increase the pressure in one's eyes. I have written one of the authors to ask them which type of mask was used during the study.

I am wondering if the air being more concentrated in the nasal mask is responsible for my sudden dramatic increase.

article abstract:
Continuous Positive Airway Pressure Therapy Is Associated with an Increase in Intraocular Pressure in Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Stefan Kiekens 1 , Veva De Groot 1 , Tanja Coeckelbergh 1 , Marie-José Tassignon 1 , Paul van de Heyning 2 , 3 , Wilfried De Backer 3 , 4 and Johan Verbraecken 3 , 4
+ Author Affiliations

1From the Departments of Ophthalmology,
2Ear, Nose and Throat, and
4Pulmonary Medicine, and the
3Sleep Disorders Center, Antwerp University Hospital and University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium.
Abstract

PURPOSE. Several reports have demonstrated an association between glaucoma and obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), though the origin of this association remains unknown. In the present study, the influence of OSA and continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) therapy on intraocular pressure (IOP) and ocular perfusion pressure (OPP) was examined.

METHODS. IOP, blood pressure, and pulse rate were measured every 2 hours during 24-hour sessions in 21 patients with newly diagnosed OSA. A first series of measurements was performed before CPAP therapy, and a second series was performed 1 month after the initiation of CPAP therapy. OPP was then calculated.

RESULTS. Baseline measurements showed a significant nycththemeral fluctuation in the average IOP, with the highest IOPs at night. After 1 month of CPAP therapy, the average IOP was significantly higher than baseline. The increase in overnight IOP was also significantly higher. A 24-hour IOP fluctuation of ≥8 mm Hg was found in 7 patients at baseline and in 12 patients during CPAP therapy. The mean difference between trough and peak IOP was 6.7 ± 1.5 mm Hg at baseline and 9.0 ± 2.0 mm Hg during CPAP therapy. Thirty minutes after CPAP cessation a significant decrease in IOP was recorded. There was a statistically significant decrease in mean OPP during CPAP therapy.

CONCLUSIONS. Patients with OSA demonstrated significant 24-hour IOP fluctuations, with the highest values at night. CPAP therapy causes an additional IOP increase, especially at night. Regular screening of visual fields and the optic disc is warranted for all patients with OSA, especially those treated with CPAP.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Design and eye pressures
Sounds a little scary. I've been on CPAP for over 4 years; and my IOP is well within normal limits when checked twice per year.
Normal is defined as 10 to 20 mmHg. Every person has a variation over the day.
CPAP pressures are in the range of 10 to 20 cm-H2O.
1 mmHg = 1.36 cm-H2O
ergo, CPAP pressures are in the neighborhood of IOP.
The mechanism by which IOP might increase seems elusive.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I was able to read the full article on the journal website by an error on their part as I am not a doctor or subscriber to the journal. The mechanism is speculated but the jargon was a bit beyond my limited medical knowledge. If I can get the full article back I'll let you know. Bit it went on about increased intracranial pressure and pressure of spinal fluid etc etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
http://www.iovs.org/content/49/3/934.full.pdf

full text

short quote:
"Why CPAP therapy causes an
increase in IOP is not yet understood. One could speculate that
CPAP leads to an elevated intrathoracic pressure, which in turn
gives a pressure elevation in the venous circulation, which may
reduce the aqueous humor outflow through the episcleral
veins and could explain the increase in IOP"

If the above (elevated intrathoracic pressure) is correct, then the type of mask should not matter.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I found it at a different site also. It makes you think. One of the things that happens to sedentary folk who are older is that there is veinous insufficiency and a lot of fluid in the legs shifts to the upper torso when we lie down. I often wake up with swollen hands in the morning.
This fluid has a circadian rhythm and the flow of all this fluid probably ends up in ones neck and eyeballs. I also found an article on
compression stockings and OSA that might be an answer to all these fluids sloshing around.
http://www.steadyhealth.com/articles/Com...a1931.html so I'm thinking of a mini program/experiment
I'll wear compression stockings in the daytime and also set a timer to get the hell out of my recliner every half hour and move around some. LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
I think Lukie is on to something because I was using a FFM
for a while and found I was getting pronounced eye swelling and irritation at pressures above 17cm. ( A lot! )
I switched over to a total face mask and the problem went away.
The total mask applies pressure also to the outside of the eyeball as well so things tend to stay in balance.
So, for me it was all about the pressure being applied to the backside of the eye socket.
This week my TFM broke so I went back to the FFM.
By lowering the pressure a bit to the FFM the swelling went away but I still can run enough pressure to be
theraputic.
(Yay me! I have more options now! )

Cheers!

=^.^=

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I decided having to go back to a full face mask was not worth it. I love may nasal nano and if I have to go on drops I'll go on drops.
At least I slept well and feel great.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Lukie, I don't blame you a bit, I'd have a hard time with a full-face mask, I'm not saying I absolutely couldn't use one, but I know I'd have a hard time with it because I don't like a lot on my face.
Great to hear you had a good night sleep, (in the Nano,)that means everything.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had ocular hypertension for years, pre-CPAP.

Anyway, I discussed this in another thread a while back. Lemme see if I can find it. I think I linked to some articles in it.

Found it.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...e-pressure
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2014, 11:32 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I've had ocular hypertension for years, pre-CPAP.

Anyway, I discussed this in another thread a while back. Lemme see if I can find it. I think I linked to some articles in it.

Found it.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...e-pressure

Very interesting thread. Looks like you have been dealing with this issue for a while. I guess I'll just relax and see the eye doctor every 3 months and stop worrying. Like you I have no damage yet and they are "watching and waiting." She gave me some drops for dryness as occasionally the Nano will leak a bit when I've moved in my sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP compressed air path design, foam, filtration & maintenance MaNoise 10 227 03-25-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MaNoise
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 299 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Central apnea and high pressures? esaulcatnas 20 1,731 02-16-2024, 12:22 AM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  Will lofta help me find the right pressures? Swsch2985 6 458 12-30-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Swsch2985
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 423 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Central sleep apnea? need help on pressures flappypalate 2 486 11-23-2023, 05:37 PM
Last Post: flappypalate
  Need help falling asleep with changing BiPap pressures ISeekRem 7 635 08-13-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.