Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

clear airway
RE: clear airway
Be sure to look at the waveforms and see how long and how completely you stop breathing.

If you don't stop breathing for too many seconds, etc., it's not that big a deal.

The other rule of thumb is that if you have less than 5 per hour, it's no big deal, as long as you're not stopping for too many seconds at a time.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2014, 10:36 PM)archangle Wrote: Be sure to look at the waveforms and see how long and how completely you stop breathing.

If you don't stop breathing for too many seconds, etc., it's not that big a deal.

The other rule of thumb is that if you have less than 5 per hour, it's no big deal, as long as you're not stopping for too many seconds at a time.

Easiest way in SleepyHead is to click the 'Events' tab (right above the pie chart). It breaks down all the events for the night -- the numbers in parenthesis for each event is the number of seconds it lasted.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2014, 10:41 PM)c0reDump Wrote:
(01-28-2014, 10:36 PM)archangle Wrote: Be sure to look at the waveforms and see how long and how completely you stop breathing.

Easiest way in SleepyHead is to click the 'Events' tab (right above the pie chart). It breaks down all the events for the night -- the numbers in parenthesis for each event is the number of seconds it lasted.

Useful info, but if you go look at the actual waveform, it often doesn't really match up. i.e. the number on the event may be much longer than what you see on the waveform. I think it has to do with how the machine reacts to a complete cessation of breathing followed by a period of reduced breathing.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok so if im still having oa's should I bump up the pressure from 11 to 12?
Post Reply Post Reply
I was going to suggest it althogh it depends on how long you have been on CPAP and how you feel the next day. If you feel the treatment is working, leave it. You could test it out for a week or two and see if your results are any better. On your charts it's saying you use the Elite (you may want to update your profile), there isn't a huge difference but give it a try and see. Just make sure you stay on it for awhile and check your results, good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2014, 10:45 PM)archangle Wrote: Useful info, but if you go look at the actual waveform, it often doesn't really match up. i.e. the number on the event may be much longer than what you see on the waveform. I think it has to do with how the machine reacts to a complete cessation of breathing followed by a period of reduced breathing.

Good point -- I've noticed that on some of my events too. I like to drill in on the longest event for the night and see what the conditions were leading up to it (typically a big leak, drastic mask pressure changes, etc) -- I figure those are signs of me rolling over and forgetting to breathe Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2014, 10:59 PM)c0reDump Wrote:
(01-28-2014, 10:45 PM)archangle Wrote: Useful info, but if you go look at the actual waveform, it often doesn't really match up. i.e. the number on the event may be much longer than what you see on the waveform. I think it has to do with how the machine reacts to a complete cessation of breathing followed by a period of reduced breathing.

Good point -- I've noticed that on some of my events too. I like to drill in on the longest event for the night and see what the conditions were leading up to it (typically a big leak, drastic mask pressure changes, etc) -- I figure those are signs of me rolling over and forgetting to breathe Smile
Epr is set at 3

(01-28-2014, 10:57 PM)Tez62 Wrote: I was going to suggest it althogh it depends on how long you have been on CPAP and how you feel the next day. If you feel the treatment is working, leave it. You could test it out for a week or two and see if your results are any better. On your charts it's saying you use the Elite (you may want to update your profile), there isn't a huge difference but give it a try and see. Just make sure you stay on it for awhile and check your results, good luck.
Thats what I have Elite. I been Cpapen for 2-1/2 months now.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2014, 10:24 PM)Bladskinner Wrote: Ok so clear airway doesn't mean it literaly.

Right.

I think CA may stand for Clear-airway Apnea. (It is an apnea event lasting at least 10 seconds, occurring while our airway is clear and unobstructed.)
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2014, 10:51 PM)Bladskinner Wrote: Ok so if im still having oa's should I bump up the pressure from 11 to 12?

You could. Your AHI for that night is less than 5 which is the goal. Is that about what your number is each night? If you want to tweak the settings, then going up one notch would be a good experiment.

Any change you make, make it and leave it for about 2 weeks or more. You are looking for trends and averages, not just one night. You may want to start a kind of sleep diary. Write down what change you made and when. And then, if you want, write down what kind of day you had. High stress, fun day, bad day, good day, etc. Note how you felt in the morning. Rested, not much, lots of dreams, not many, etc. It can be as short or as elaborate as you want it to be.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2014, 11:32 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote:
(01-28-2014, 10:51 PM)Bladskinner Wrote: Ok so if im still having oa's should I bump up the pressure from 11 to 12?

You could. Your AHI for that night is less than 5 which is the goal. Is that about what your number is each night? If you want to tweak the settings, then going up one notch would be a good experiment.

Any change you make, make it and leave it for about 2 weeks or more. You are looking for trends and averages, not just one night. You may want to start a kind of sleep diary. Write down what change you made and when. And then, if you want, write down what kind of day you had. High stress, fun day, bad day, good day, etc. Note how you felt in the morning. Rested, not much, lots of dreams, not many, etc. It can be as short or as elaborate as you want it to be.
That's a good idea but i'll call it a log. Lol
"Being happy doesn’t mean that everything is perfect. It means you’ve decided to look beyond the imperfections." ~Unknown
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 200 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
Question [CPAP] Clear Airway/Central AI? mattymast 3 178 03-30-2024, 09:43 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,549 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 194 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 173 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  Clear airway Bullabill 3 273 03-12-2024, 02:40 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 315 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.