Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreams, REM rebound and flashing images
RE: Dreams, REM rebound and flashing images
(01-29-2014, 04:28 PM)Airstream Wrote: I have also had dreams and nightmares which I didn't have prior to going on CPAP. It is interesting to see others reporting the same thing here. I would never have mentioned it myself as I have always attributed them to the medication I am on rather than the CPAP therapy. (Both CPAP and meds were started at the same time). Possibly it is a combination of the two?
Does anyone know if this has been medically documented as an effect of CPAP therapy and exactly how it impacts dreams and/or nightmares during sleep- that is, how does increased oxygen levels affect the brain?
I realize that this question may be too technical for many (including me), but the knowledge of members of this Board never cease to amaze me.

Maybe DocWils will have a student research this.
Post Reply Post Reply
Paula02 is correct. Whenever you wake up, your sleep cycle starts over. So depending on how often someone wakes up from apnea episodes, some may not reach REM sleep and others may only have very brief REM. My first sleep study showed in a 6 your period, I only achieved 33 minutes of REM and in my titration 37 minutes. With my first study, the 33 minutes of REM never arrived until 3.7 hours into sleep. Second study took 2.6 hours. An adult with normal sleep reaches REM approximately every 90 minutes.

Interestingly, for myself, I am sleeping long hours now and not waking up. I have only remembered a handful of dreams since beginning CPAP. I think I just don't wake up at times when it is most likely I would remember any (right after they occur).

This stuff is fascinating. Told my sleep doc if I were young and looking for a career, this would be an interesting field to study.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have always dreamed, but before cpap and I would problem solve. Now I dream totally random but still work related. Like re-living real life situations with different players and out comes. But they don't make sence. I always dream in color but have a hard time remembering the dreams.
"Being happy doesn’t mean that everything is perfect. It means you’ve decided to look beyond the imperfections." ~Unknown
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsup 
Those are helpful articles

Thanks for sharing.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 192 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  eXciteOSA See Any Improvement? (with images) bergerj 6 1,675 01-21-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: jrolli1509
  [CPAP] Air Sense 10 SD card LED flashing red BNelson 2 590 10-12-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: BNelson
  Airsense 11 flashing Climate Line Connected DaveHirschler 4 1,858 08-28-2023, 11:11 PM
Last Post: Millstone50
  Vivid Dreams is this normal? Apnope 8 785 05-09-2023, 10:52 AM
Last Post: mper6794
  Where did my dreams go ? DaveCar 7 787 09-10-2022, 01:16 AM
Last Post: Brazen
  OSCAR Help: CPAP Therapy - Still Got 50+ AHI, Night Sweats, Horrific Dreams, Fatigue apegoneinsane 7 889 02-12-2022, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.