Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

EPR and Centrals
EPR and Centrals
I have heard that sometimes turning down or turning off your EPR can reduce residual centrals that seem to crop up after the OAs and H's have been controlled. Anyone else have experience with this.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: EPR and Centrals
Some people have reported that the drop in pressure upon exhaling can induce central apneas. In the case of a BiPAP the drop is much greater than with just EPR, and that has been documented to cause centrals. It happened to me.

I think the effect goes away as you adapt to CPAP therapy.

Have you checked to see how long these CA events last? If you only have a few, and they don't last much more than 10 seconds, I wouldn't be overly concerned about them.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have that many and my stats are good but I still get an occasional hypopnea or central that lasts more than 10 seconds and wakes me up with the heart pounding\sick feeling oxygen desaturation thing.
If I even have one of these that I remember per night I feel pretty sick the next day. I have ordered a recording Oximeter to check out the apneas/leak/desaturation links. I use sleepyhead and rescan and will be able to down load the oximeter data on to the sleepyhead software.
Post Reply Post Reply
Probably cannot count me as I may have suggested it in the first place. My AHI was averaging 29 until I turned off the EPR when it came down to around 6 and often less. There is now a small collection of people (from various forums) who have significantly reduced their excess central events by doing this and have avoided the need for an adaptive servo (ASV) machine.

Persistent CPAP induced central apnea or Complex sleep apnea is relatively rare only affecting around 3% of the CPAP population. As Sleepster says, up to 15% have the problem initially but many improve spontaneously over the first 2 months as the body resets the Carbon Dioxide apnea levels. As mentioned previously a small number of central events are normal.

Ian
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2014, 07:59 PM)Lukie Wrote: I have heard that sometimes turning down or turning off your EPR can reduce residual centrals that seem to crop up after the OAs and H's have been controlled. Anyone else have experience with this.
Not in my experience, I've turned off EPR as it does not feel natural for me to breath this way and seem to interfere with my breathing patterns but many people love it as feel for them easier to breath out against the pressure ... everyone is different

Bilevel Positive Airway Pressure Worsens Central Apneas During Sleep
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ring-Sleep
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried it and found it too uncomfortable to breathe out against the pressure. My average AHI over 3 months is 0.60 so I'm not worried about a few centrals but every now and then I have a doozie that wakes me up.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AHI increasing and centrals michaelyu15 0 82 04-08-2024, 10:18 AM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 17 577 03-31-2024, 01:12 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 2,070 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 164 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  started to get a lot more centrals, questions airwaystent 3 270 03-02-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  are these centrals or false alarms? AZAwake 4 443 02-02-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: SingingWolf
  Centrals coming back Gperry 9 729 12-05-2023, 12:23 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.