Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

PR System One Remstar 60 series pro
PR System One Remstar 60 series pro
Excellent forum! Thank you all!

I'm looking at a couple of units, specifically the Resmed S9 Elite and the PR System One Remstar 60 series pro. I can't seem to find any mention of the latter on the forum. I've been using the latter (its the A-flex though, a higher end model than the one I'm looking at, as a temporary rental from my clinic) with a humidifier, heated tube and Swift FX mask. It is my first experience with a CPAP machine and am very pleased, but it seems to be quite noisy at the machine end when I exhale or inhale. It also sets up a pretty good breeze at the nose vent (not leakage). Anyone reviewed it (though I'm favouring the S9 at this point). Appreciate any thoughts.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: PR System One Remstar 60 series pro
Hi Pete, since your thread post wasn't really a review, I moved it from the Product Reviews forum here to the Main Forum so it gets the attention it deserves.

Welcome to Apnea Board!

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sailorpete3,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Just make sure whatever machine you get that it is data-capable. I think the S9 Elite is a data-capable, CPAP only,(not autoCPAP,) machine. I'm not sure about the Respironics model you mentioned. Hang in there for more answers to your questions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2014, 02:16 PM)Sailorpete3 Wrote: I'm looking at a couple of units, specifically the Resmed S9 Elite and the PR System One Remstar 60 series pro.
If you,re in US .... do you have insurance or paying out of pocket?

Both are fixed pressure data capable machines but I would not buy either because S9 AutoSet (not S9 Escape Auto) or PRS1 Auto (model number 560) only cost few dollars more (in US, not in Australia) and can be used in apap mode or fixed pressure mode ... two machines in one.

The main difference in exhale pressure relief - PR called it Flex, Resmed called EPR
S9 provide more data on the LCD screen including unintentional leak
Flex http://www.healthcare.philips.com/au_en/...efault.wpd
EPR http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/html/dev...c=patients

Prices in Australia are swindle, I buy my supplies from suppliers #2 and #10, both ship outside US
Suppliers List http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Post Reply Post Reply
The PRS1 60 Series Pro (model number 460 or 461 in Canada) is essentially equivalent to the Resmed S9 Elite. Both are high quality data-capable fixed-pressure CPAP units. The PRS1 unit tends to be slightly cheaper than the Resmed. There are some relatively minor differences in the actual data collected, but nothing really important. The Resmed unit apparently has a better LCD display and is claimed to "look nicer". The PRS1 unit has a feature that, for a non-resettable total period of 30 days, it can act as an auto-CPAP device.

The 461 was my first CPAP unit, and use of its auto-CPAP feature prompted me to upgrade to the PRS1 60 Series Auto unit. I was finding that my pressure requirements varied from night to night (and within the night itself), so I ended up getting much better treatment with the Auto. Since it is not that much more expensive than the Pro (and the same for the corresponding Resmed units), I would recommend that you seriously consider getting the Auto to start with, or its corresponding Resmed unit S9 Auto.

If you are getting a fixed-pressure unit, you will be happy with either the PRS1 60 Series Pro unit or the Resmed S9 Elite unit.
Post Reply Post Reply
Whenever someone is looking to purchase a new machine, I usually refer them to Archangle's article on machine choices, here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Happy Eyes
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for the advice. I checked out the Archangle site, very informative and specific! Glad my choices were on there. I'm pretty sell sold on the S9 AutoSet. I was checking prices on line versus the much higher prices at my local clinic. I figure I'm having to pay about $500 more for a machine through the clinic, but I get lifetime support and data analysis, so I guess it's worth paying the extra. I've been using a loaner machine from them for a couple of months now.

I'm paying out of pocket because my normally wonderful extended health provider has been paying for mandibular repositioning devices to deal with my apnea for quite a few years now. However, they will only pay for one type of treatment and therefore won't pay for a CPAP machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2014, 11:49 AM)Sailorpete3 Wrote: I'm paying out of pocket because my normally wonderful extended health provider has been paying for mandibular repositioning devices to deal with my apnea for quite a few years now. However, they will only pay for one type of treatment and therefore won't pay for a CPAP machine.

Not to derail this, but I take it the mandibular repositioning has not been worth it for the sleep apnea? Would be interested to hear more about your experience with this.

On topic, I been using an s9 elite for a month now, love it. Sleepyhead and Resmed data is great, and the little things like auto start and shut off are a nice luxury (just put on the mask and take it off no button pushing). Would recommend it simply because I never used the Philips machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2014, 11:49 AM)Sailorpete3 Wrote: I figure I'm having to pay about $500 more for a machine through the clinic, but I get lifetime support and data analysis, so I guess it's worth paying the extra. I've been using a loaner machine from them for a couple of months now.

G'day sailorpete3. Before you purchase your machine, consider that the data analysis is something you can do for yourself for free. There is excellent software available through this forum which reads your card and displays all the results. And there are plenty of experienced people here who can help you interpret the results

It's your call, of course, and if you have a good clinic that you're comfortable with, the $500 extra might be worthwhile. On the other hand, you might have a better use for that money.

Whichever way you decide to go, remember there's a whole community of fellow hoseheads here to help you along the way.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2014, 11:58 AM)SnuffySleeper Wrote:
(02-15-2014, 11:49 AM)Sailorpete3 Wrote: I'm paying out of pocket because my normally wonderful extended health provider has been paying for mandibular repositioning devices to deal with my apnea for quite a few years now. However, they will only pay for one type of treatment and therefore won't pay for a CPAP machine.

Not to derail this, but I take it the mandibular repositioning has not been worth it for the sleep apnea? Would be interested to hear more about your experience with this.

On topic, I been using an s9 elite for a month now, love it. Sleepyhead and Resmed data is great, and the little things like auto start and shut off are a nice luxury (just put on the mask and take it off no button pushing). Would recommend it simply because I never used the Philips machine.

When I was first diagnosed with Apnea, I went with the Mandibular Position Device (MDP) because it was less invasive than having to wear a mask. Apparently it worked quite weil over the years according to occasional oximeteter tests. The downside was that if had to be adjusted so my lower jaw jutted out more and more over the years. This affected the alignment of my teeth, but no big problem. I guess it needed more adjustment that wasn't done because when I did a sleep study wearing the appliance, I stopped breathing about 40 or so times per hour. I think the device need more adjustment forward, but I wasn't aware of this. After that, I decided to go with CPAP on recommendation of the doctor. Got to tell you, it has made a fantastic difference in the way I feel in the morning and the amount of energy I have. By the way a MDP costs about $1,800 if I recall and lasts about 5 years.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,615 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,119 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 377 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 299 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Admin Note] Policy clarification [off-site advice & advice given via Private Message system] SuperSleeper 2 2,788 02-06-2024, 09:00 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Airsense 11. Heating system error Jskier 3 6,159 12-12-2023, 11:30 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Remstar -> DS 1(new foam) mw1655 0 252 11-29-2023, 05:54 AM
Last Post: mw1655

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.