Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure Advice
RE: Pressure Advice
(03-10-2014, 01:51 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: The other thing to be wary of is changing your parameters too quickly. If you change your pressure, don't touch it again for a couple of weeks. You're looking for trends not instantaneous results. If you change the pressure frequently and other things as well (eg a different mask) then you won't be able to unscramble the effects of those changes. So one change at a time, leave if for a few weeks, then review.

It' sort of like adjusting a carburetor. Change too many things at once, and you'll lose the rabbit.

BTW -- PaulaO2 has alien scanners; and now there's an elbow test??? What's an elbow test. It sure meant something different when I was a young man.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2014, 03:24 AM)me50 Wrote: olmate, can you post your data from sleepyhead so we can help you more? if we can see that, we can make suggestions on your pressure settings. you pretty much have your machine wide open. Did you see a doc that told you that you had OSA? Who wrote the script for you to have a CPAP machine? have you been back to see that doc?

If you need help posting your graphs from sleepyhead, let us know. We can help you better by seeing that data.

Ill give it a go but i have sexy fingers when it comes to computersOh-jeez

Post Reply Post Reply
It' sort of like adjusting a carburetor. Change too many things at once, and you'll lose the rabbit.

BTW -- PaulaO2 has alien scanners; and now there's an elbow test??? What's an elbow test. It sure meant something different when I was a young man.
[/quote]

speaking of adjusting things my mask leaks a lot where it clips in...is that normal?

also the elbow test was that done while alone?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2014, 06:47 AM)olmate Wrote: speaking of adjusting things my mask leaks a lot where it clips in...is that normal?

Your mask shouldn't leak so much that you notice it. The Resmed gives you a quick indication by way of the smiley face Smile or frowny face Angry on the little screen. A smiley means your leaks were under 24 L/min for 70% of the night.

(03-10-2014, 06:47 AM)olmate Wrote: also the elbow test was that done while alone?

Certainly not! Actually I remember two elbow tests - one related to employing a secretary and the other was the definition of a gentleman. Dielaughing Not sure which one Mongo was referring to.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi olmate,
First of all, I encourage you to stick with CPAP therapy as it can take some getting used to.
Did you have a sleep study and if so, do you know what your titrated pressure is? That would help if we knew that so that if you set a tighter range that could be more helpful for you.
Best of luck, don't give up and hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2014, 06:47 AM)olmate Wrote: speaking of adjusting things my mask leaks a lot where it clips in...is that normal?

Leaks are not good. The machine can keep up with leaks; but cannot provide pressure support when the leaks are too great. A high leak is generally >24LPM. The mask has a vent that is supposed to blow air, it purges exhaled breath from the mask and tubing.

It should not leak where the clips that hold the straps click in. Do you mean it leaks where the cushion clips into the mask frame? If so, then the cushion is not properly installed.

Many people have trouble with leaks where the mask forms a seal with the face. Finding the right mask for you -- one that's effective and comfortable may take several trials. For my "moon face" a full face mask; one that covers the nose and mouth works best.
Your Mileage May Vary.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2014, 07:51 AM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi olmate,
First of all, I encourage you to stick with CPAP therapy as it can take some getting used to.
Did you have a sleep study and if so, do you know what your titrated pressure is? That would help if we knew that so that if you set a tighter range that could be more helpful for you.
Best of luck, don't give up and hang in there for more suggestions.

Im no quitter trish6hundred

I could have went to Flemington with the grand this thing cost me

Ill hang in because the mask doesn't worry me in the slightest

Post Reply Post Reply
It should not leak where the clips that hold the straps click in. Do you mean it leaks where the cushion clips into the mask frame? If so, then the cushion is not properly installed.

Sorry for the half post Mango but i knew what i was talking about

Where the hose pushes on to the fitting that clips into the mask....NOT the hose ..the bit that clips in to the mask leaks....I might have an O ring that will fix that if need be

now about that elbowUnsure

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2014, 07:47 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote:

Your mask shouldn't leak so much that you notice it. The Resmed gives you a quick indication by way of the smiley face Smile or frowny face Angry on the little screen. A smiley means your leaks were under 24 L/min for 70% of the night.

(03-10-2014, 06:47 AM)olmate Wrote: also the elbow test was that done while alone?

Certainly not! Actually I remember two elbow tests - one related to employing a secretary and the other was the definition of a gentleman. Dielaughing Not sure which one Mongo was referring to.

Now i am confused....I thought the smiley face was related to the elbow testCool

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not familiar with your mask but most do intentionally leak around the swivel - in fact there is a ring of vent holes around the connector. This is to enable your exhaled air (complete with CO2) to escape. If that vent wasn't there you wouldn't be able to exhale and you'd start to suffocate in your own CO2. If that's what you're seeing, don't for heavens sake try to seal it! Crazy
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 291 2 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 169 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 861 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,796 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 144 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 79 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 797 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.