Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is there an adjustment period of the device?
Is there an adjustment period of the device?
hello to everyone. I started using CPAP for 2 weeks.My AHI index was 87. I am using pressure based on sleep test results 9cm/h2o . but for now, I did not see much difference. I wake up in the morning still sleepless. I'm sleepy during the day sometimes. According to the reports of the device, my ahi index average 7,8 . AHI index is normal? Is there an adjustment period of the device?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is there an adjustment period of the device?
Jashuas, welcome, it normally takes around 3 months to really feel the effect, that is if your treatment or pressure are correct. First your AHI should be below 5 and yours sounds too high, that could be because your pressure is too low or you have too many leaks. Your pressure is very low for an AHI of 87, even though we are all different, my AHI prior to being diagnosed was 30 and my pressure is 15. When is your next appointment to get your data looked at? I would suggest someone look at it fairly soon, it is helping you but not getting the best treatment you could, good luck and let us know how you go.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2014, 04:03 AM)jashuas Wrote: According to the reports of the device, my ahi index average 7,8 . AHI index is normal? Is there an adjustment period of the device?
Below 5 is normal, 7.8 is not far off, some of those events are scored while you,re awake which basically are meaningless

Yes there is an adjustment period but once you get it dial in and find your sweet spot, it become impossible to sleep or nap without PAP, it would make a huge difference to your health and well being. Be patient ... patience is a virtue

Post Reply Post Reply
jashuas,

Welcome.

Yes, there is a period before most people see improvement in how they FEEL.

For some it is fairly quick, others take almost a year. Most are somewhere in the middle.

First, you must get effective therapy and it sounds like you are still in the "apnea" range (> AHI 5).

This is much better than your diagnosed AHI, so you might see improvement even with that but it would probably take as long or LONGER than if you get effective treatment.

It sounds like you have a CPAP (or APAP set on a single pressure) so you machine can't adjust pressure.

At your next visit to the sleep doc, your pressure will likely be raised, and your AHI will improve again. This process MAY have to repeated a couple of times until you are getting fully effective treatment.

It's really a shame that people are getting single pressure CPAP treatment when automatic (APAP) machines are so readily available.

These machines can basically get the correct settings in a single night, rather than making the patient wait weeks between doctor visits to get a LITTLE closer to the correct pressure.

And some people will never have a single "best pressure" but always do better with a range.

Hang in there. Even if you don't feel the difference, your body is NOT getting harmed AS MUCH now.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jashuas,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Yes CPAP can take some adjusting.
What you might try, to help your body get used to this new way of sleeping, is to mask up and use the machine during the evening as you read or watch tv.
Hang in there, don't give up and best of luck with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 109 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  ResMed 10 Card-to-Cloud: no cellular device NelsonM 20 3,036 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 974 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Question [CPAP] New to CPAP/APAP looking for Adjustment tips jster71 2 304 02-16-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 218 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Replacement Device and Leaks jtardo 3 364 01-15-2024, 11:04 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Comfortable adjustment with Evora FFM Columbiabill 3 430 12-15-2023, 10:38 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.