Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

can REM sleep be seen in the vpap data
can REM sleep be seen in the vpap data
when looking at the data for a s9 vpap auto can one detect REM sleep and find the amount of time spent in REM sleep per night?

would be cool if so
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: can REM sleep be seen in the vpap data
No. To detect REM sleep requires EEG evidence, and the only data your VPAP records is respiratory data.

That said: Some people attempt to infer REM sleep from changes in the respiratory pattern: REM sleep breathing is usually less regular than non-REM sleep breathing and some people have significantly worse OSA during REM, and so clustering of events may also indicate where REM sleep was likely occurring. How accurate their interpretations are is a wide open question with no clear answer.

Post Reply Post Reply
REM sleep usually associated with dreaming, you can tell if you had REM sleep during the night by waking up in the morning feeling refreshed and well rested.. No REM sleep when you wake up in the morning feeling grumpy and worse for wear Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
As stated, no.

My doctor told me how they measure it with a sleep study. The multiple electrodes attached to you during a sleep study measure your muscle twitches. This includes measuring your eye muscle twitches. When in REM sleep your eyes rapidly move (forget the exact number for REM sleep) and they measure this and know you are in REM sleep, Delta Sleep or NREM sleep.

There is no way an xpap machine can measure this alone as it can only measure air resistance in wav forms.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some people think they can make a good guess based on the airflow waveforms. Maybe some people can really tell, but I can't. I don't have a lot of confidence in those who think they can.

It's not an exact science. Even for those who think they can tell, not everyone has a clear pattern.

However, if you have good breathing for most of the night, and then short gaps of apneas, REM sleep might be a good thing to consider as a possible explanation.

I'm not sure what you do with the knowledge that you have apnea only during REM, other than adjust your pressure to eliminate it, or maybe get an APAP.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,231 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 243 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 204 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Question [CPAP] Sleep Data - removing mask in sleep James87 10 620 01-04-2024, 11:38 AM
Last Post: James87
  Oscar Data Attached - New User - Can't Sleep! kevinmallard 7 570 12-22-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] How to send data from older Resmed Airsense 10 to sleep doctor? silverchief2 6 785 12-15-2023, 03:50 PM
Last Post: silverchief2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.