Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Resmed APAP
Resmed APAP
When i was on trial i had a respironics apap machine. When i wouldnt breath it would immediately kick in and blast air into my mask, it worked well. Now i have a resmed apap machine, when i stop breathing it takes some time and it doesnt blast air, it sort of pulsates weakly. Is there a way to change it from this pulsating BS to the blast of air that worked.

PS: this resmed apap machine isnt working for me, i just woke up going to bed at 12:30am waking up at 1:30pm, sleeping for 13 hours and feeling like sh*t
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed APAP
Sorry to hear your Resmed isn't doing what you expect it to do. What model do you have? Perhaps it needs to have it's settings changed, but it's kind of hard for us to know based on what you've posted. What pressures etc did the people set it at when they gave it to you?
Post Reply Post Reply
Im not sure what model it is, it just says resmed on it but it looks like the first pic if you were to google 'resmed' (i cant post links)
i think she set it from like 6-14 psi
oh but when i went for the sleep study, she said i only needed 8psi, so the pressure isnt a problem
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:When i was on trial i had a respironics apap machine. When i wouldnt breath it would immediately kick in and blast air into my mask, it worked well. Now i have a resmed apap machine, when i stop breathing it takes some time and it doesnt blast air, it sort of pulsates weakly. Is there a way to change it from this pulsating BS to the blast of air that worked.

Sounds like what you were and are noticing are the Central Apnea Detection algorithms on the two machines.

The Philips Respironics CA detection algorithm uses very short, but somewhat intense "pressure pulses." These are NOT designed to make you breathe (the System One APAP is NOT a ventilator); rather the System One uses the back pressure signal from the pressure pulse to determine whether the apnea is a central apnea (airway is CLEAR or unobstructed) or an obstructive apnea (the airway is blocked or OBSTRUCTED).

The Resmed CA detection algorithm works differently. Rather than sending out one or more "pressure pulses", the Resmed S9 uses a "forced oscillation technique" (FOT) to determine whether the airway is CLEAR or OBSTRUCTED. The FOT uses a set of small oscillations in the pressure over about a 4-10 second period and they feel like very small pulsations; the S9 uses the back pressure signal from the oscillating pressure to determine whether the apnea is a central apnea (airway is CLEAR or unobstructed) or an obstructive apnea (the airway is blocked or OBSTRUCTED).

There's no way to make a Resmed S9 APAP's CA detection algorithm feel like the PR System One APAP's CA detection algorithm. If it means that much to you, you might see if the DME is willing to exchange the S9 for a System One.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Mr1hundred,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Sorry to hear you are having problems with your machine.
Which model Resmed do you have? You should find the name of it next to the on/off button.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2014, 01:43 PM)Mr1hundred Wrote: Im not sure what model it is, it just says resmed on it but it looks like the first pic if you were to google 'resmed' (i cant post links)
i think she set it from like 6-14 psi
oh but when i went for the sleep study, she said i only needed 8psi, so the pressure isnt a problem
[Image: img_usage.jpg]
[Image: ResMed%203.jpg]

ResMed makes two S9 Auto-PAP models ... AutoSet and Escape Auto
S9 AutoSet is an AutoSet and S9 Escape Auto is an APAP
AutoSet and APAP are two completely different machines, yet they look alike
Central apnea detection only available in S9 Autoset and S9 Elite

btw, CPAP pressure measured in cmh2o

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 363 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 557 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 426 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,410 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,147 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 585 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.