Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

PRESSURE
RE: PRESSURE
Re whether or not one can feel the pressure:

Different people have different sensory abilities. Some people really can't feel any airflow once the mask has a proper seal. Others can. Even with a fantastic seal, there is air coming through the mask at all times. If you are very sensitive to the feeling of moving air, you can (often) feel this air flow. You'll also be far more sensitive to noticing the intentional leaks from the vent holes in the mask, and that airflow is there 100% of the time AND it definitely increases as the pressure increases.

In my case I've been dealing with severely chapped lips off and on right from the start of CPAPing. Since I use nasal pillows, the problem is not the air moving into the mask (unless the pillows are angled incorrectly). In my case, the problem is the exhaust flow bounces off my bedcovers, pillow, or arms and back towards my lips, causing the chapping.

My guess is that if you are someone who dislikes sleeping under a fan in the first place, you'll be more apt to notice the air flow into the mask and the intentional venting out the exhaust vents and it will be more apt to bug you. Because in essence sleeping with a CPAP is like having your own personal fan blowing air down your throat.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2014, 11:37 AM)bobbydee Wrote: Was in deep sleep loud air thru nose piece vent and pressure on cheeks woke me up. shut off machine and it went back to normal air flow.

When you woke up did you find yourself lying on your back?

Next time just hit the ramp button and go back to sleep.

If it keeps happening let us know, but we need to know more details about which machine you have and its settings.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll agree with Robysue and go one further that it can also be a bit mask dependent. With my Quattro Air, I can tell when the pressure is higher from the feel of the mask....the soft seal blows up like a balloon and it is more prone to leaks. With the Quest, I feel the pressure effects with big changes (like mask fitting pressure of ~20cm h2o vs. my normal ~8-9 cm h20), but the small changes are almost undetectable.

Bobbydee, if it is a constant thing, then something is definitely going on. I would suspect that if you're using an auto adjusting machine, you may be getting some form of pressure spike or perhaps just moving into a similar position and getting a big enough leak to wake you. Some additional info might help us to offer some suggestions. I will say, though...stick with it. It can take a while to get to your optimum treatment on CPAP. It is worth it, so hang in there.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,641 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 923 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 646 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,556 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23
  Is expiratory pressure relief similar to BiPAP on lower pressure settings? drmaestro 11 3,351 05-18-2020, 01:35 PM
  [Pressure] Difference between EPAP set pressure and operational pressure brugerard 8 2,353 01-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Last Post: brugerard
Question 90% Pressure meaning & Setting Correct Pressure for Auto-CPAP dk2011 2 3,647 12-28-2018, 05:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.