Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Titration Question
RE: Titration Question
That could just be because you are shaking the tree a bit with the new machine and settings. As long as you're under 5, you're good to go. I'd try it again tonight and see where you're at. Your max may need to come down a little, but I wouldn't do that just yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2014, 03:14 PM)Stargazer Wrote: Well, after further evaluation of the data, I have noticed for the first time I have been having central apneas with the new auto setting. Never had them w/straight cpap at 11 cm.

Also, much more apneas in general with longer duration vs hyponeas. I've had 8 and 9 apneas on consecutive nights now with at least 7 hrs of sleep where on straight cpap, I only had one or two per night.

Is that a cause for concern or just bc I need to get used to the new pressure range setting? AHI is still well under 5, however.

CORRECTION: The first night w/the AutoSet, it was set back to cpap mode at exactly what my Elite was set at (same EPR, ramp, etc). I went to apap mode for the first time last night with what the doc set; 10-15.

Still, with the new machine, central apneas have shown up both nights where on the Elite, I've never had them. Not sure why this machine has registered them and the Elite did not.
A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures....
Post Reply Post Reply
Did the data from the Elite distinguish between OAs and CAs? I ask because my machine was invented around the same time retired_guy invented dirt. ;>)

Best Regards

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2014, 04:27 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Did the data from the Elite distinguish between OAs and CAs? I ask because my machine was invented around the same time retired_guy invented dirt. ;>)

Best Regards

PaytonA

I'm not sure if it was capable, I guess that's my question as this is the first time I'm seeing them. First night with the auto was identical setup in cpap mode to the Escape settings yet saw the central apneas.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2014, 04:35 PM)Stargazer Wrote:
(05-02-2014, 04:27 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Did the data from the Elite distinguish between OAs and CAs? I ask because my machine was invented around the same time retired_guy invented dirt. ;>)

Best Regards

PaytonA

No. This is the first time seeing them. First night with the auto was identical setup in cpap mode to the Escape settings yet saw the central apneas.
Both S9 Autoset and S9 Elite distinguish between obstructive apnea and central apnea, S9 Escape Auto don't
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2014, 03:23 PM)retired_guy Wrote: That could just be because you are shaking the tree a bit with the new machine and settings. As long as you're under 5, you're good to go. I'd try it again tonight and see where you're at. Your max may need to come down a little, but I wouldn't do that just yet.

You may have missed this earlier Star, because you and I were posting at about the same time.

The biggest thing is don't stress about the CA's at this point. See what happens tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2014, 04:41 PM)zonk Wrote: Both S9 Autoset and S9 Elite distinguish between obstructive apnea and central apnea, S9 Escape Auto don't

Well, that's a bit puzzling then. The only variable was the new AutoSet. I used the same exact settings as I had on the Elite the very first night. Double checked everything and yet still, the CA's showed up. Went to auto mode the next night and they showed up again. Very strange!

AHI's still held firm at <2 with both machines so, I have no clue!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2014, 05:00 PM)Stargazer Wrote: Well, that's a bit puzzling then. The only variable was the new AutoSet. I used the same exact settings as I had on the Elite the very first night. Double checked everything and yet still, the CA's showed up. Went to auto mode the next night and they showed up again. Very strange!

The only variable? Many things can affect the frequency of our central apnea events.

For example: sleep position, pillow position, temperature, how many hours we are sleeping, what time we go to bed, stress and anxiety, common non-prescription medications, what time caffeinated drinks taken, changes in consumption of alcohol, changes in vitamins and supplements, changes in diet and exercise, developing or recovering from anemia, developing or recovering from heart or lung conditions, etc., all these things may have an influence.

There is some anecdotal reports that having a little coconut oil with the evening meal reduces central apnea in some patients. It depends what the causes are. In my case I think I have slow blood circulation from bradycardia. Others may have other conditions.

But in most cases patients simply need a few weeks or months to adapt to being under pressure while asleep, and the central events will eventually become rare, a couple per hour or less.

Yours are only a couple per hour or less now and will likely become less frequent within weeks or months. By the way, most insurance companies in USA do not upgrade a patient to a machine capable of treating central sleep apnea unless the number of central apneas per hour is at least 5 or 10 or 15, depending on insurance company.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2014, 02:26 AM)vsheline Wrote: The only variable? Many things can affect the frequency of our central apnea events.

Yours are only a couple per hour or less now and will likely become less frequent within weeks or months. By the way, most insurance companies in USA do not upgrade a patient to a machine capable of treating central sleep apnea unless the number of central apneas per hour is at least 5 or 10 or 15, depending on insurance company.

No, I definitely get that about the variables. In my case, it's not about frequency, it's about centrals or "clear airway", showing up for the first time with the new machine. For all intents and purposes, the main variable was the new machine. My AHI's have stayed at or below 1.5 consistently with both machines. However, hypopneas have all but disappeared with centrals taking their place in the new AutoSet.

I have since learned that the AutoSet has an advanced central apnea algorithm. So, it now finally makes sense as to why the CA's have been showing up with the AutoSet where they never had before.

No worries, it was just more of a curiosity. I hate unsolved mysteries!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2014, 09:03 AM)Stargazer Wrote: I have since learned that the AutoSet has an advanced central apnea algorithm. So, it now finally makes sense as to why the CA's have been showing up with the AutoSet where they never had before.

Sorry to keep that unsolved mystery alive and well, but although only the S9 AutoSet has the new Enhanced AutoSet Algorithm (introduced around 2010) for automatically adjusting the pressure, actually both the S9 Elite and S9 AutoSet share the same Central Sleep Apnea Detection algorithm.

This info can be found on the ResMed website, but you can also call ResMed Customer Service line to talk to a technical representative to confirm both machines report central apneas using same detection algorithm.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to BiPAP, hoping for titration assistance? (Probable UARS) Easing5319 15 1,143 04-17-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: jkossis
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 155 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 113 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 150 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 187 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Help with settings after BiPAP Titration jd1291 5 241 03-11-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Just bought a second hand bilevel, hoping for some help with titration? JohnnyLarueBathrobe 8 330 03-01-2024, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.