Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Second Sleep Study, oh oh...
Second Sleep Study, oh oh...
Went to my second sleep study last night. Didn't go to well. Mainly because I insisted on sleeping on my back. The study was mainly to tweak my pressure settings. It started out fine as they started the pressure at 6, no problems, but I was woken up multiple times because the Tech (controlling the pressure as I sleep) had the pressure so high my nasal pillows practically popped off my nose and forced my mouth open (which I am not a mouth breather).

I asked the Tech what pressure she is doing as it's way more than I am use too, and she said she could not tell me I have to wait for the doctor follow up appointment. She did mention that she found it almost impossible to manage my sleep apnea soon as I dipped into REM sleep and that was the problem. Anytime I am out of REM I hardly even need any pressure.

Anyways, have to follow up with the doctor now but I have a feeling a HUGE pressure increase is on the agenda for me. I am hoping they upgrade me to an Autoset or I will not be a happy camper. I could not tolerate having a pressure of 16+ constantly even when I don't need it.

Anyways, Just sharing my experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Second Sleep Study, oh oh...
Hi SnuffySleeper,
I'm sorry you had such a bad time of it at your sleep study and I hope you can be upgraded to an S9 AutoSet, so you don't have to have a constant high pressure.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Just ask the doc to specify the S9 Autoset on the prescription. He should not have any issue with that especially since you sound like the poster boy for variable pressures. But if he does, have him come to us and we'll give him a good talking to. Well, Robysue will give him a good talking to. I'll listen.

My pressure originally was something like 12 low to 16 high. Didn't really have much of a problem with it. You're at 8 now, so going up a lot all at once will probably require a little adjusting time. So again, the autoset will let you do that in a more gentle kind of way.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Trish6hundred.

Will do retired guy. I kind of blame myself as I would happily live with a low pressure and just sleep on my side. I hope my doctor sees it our way. Under the Ontario restrictions I would qualify for an Autoset *crosses fingers* but in Ontario it's all up to the Doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, if the autoset and a bit higher pressure would allow you to sleep on your back instead of only on your side, I'd be all over that.

Since beginning this new lifestyle I have been able to sleep on my back for the first time since dirt was invented. (which by the way, I helped design)...... I am still so loving being able to sleep on my left side, then flop to my back, then back to the left side, etc.... all night long. In the morning I just lay there on my back, stretching out, kicking the miserable cats out of the bed, and just be in the zone.............
Post Reply Post Reply
sounds like the tech didn't know what they were doing
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2014, 06:43 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Well, if the autoset and a bit higher pressure would allow you to sleep on your back instead of only on your side, I'd be all over that.

Oh yeah, I will be all over it if my doctor approves it. If not, (which he did seem resistant to it when I asked him the first time, but that was before this sleep study) I'll be lowering my pressure and sleeping on my side only. But..heck yeah! I would prefer an Autoset and being in the zone! Big Grin

Guess I'll find out next week with my doctors appointment. *crosses fingers* *knock on wood*

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2014, 06:44 PM)brianwood619 Wrote: sounds like the tech didn't know what they were doing

What do you mean? She was admittedly new and still in university.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2014, 05:55 PM)SnuffySleeper Wrote: Anyways, have to follow up with the doctor now but I have a feeling a HUGE pressure increase is on the agenda for me. I am hoping they upgrade me to an Autoset or I will not be a happy camper. I could not tolerate having a pressure of 16+ constantly even when I don't need it.

Hi SnuffySleeper,

You may benefit from a bi-level titration.

And if you ask for a new machine it doesn't hurt to ask for the best.

If your new prescribed pressure would likely be 15 or higher then I suggest asking your doctor for a bi-level titration. (I suppose he might not be able to skip the bi-level titration and simply prescribe a bi-level Auto model like the S9 VPAP Auto.)

The S9 VPAP Auto is ResMed's optimal machine for Obstructive Sleep Apnea and is like the S9 AutoSet except it allows a greater difference between inhale pressure versus exhale pressure, which is often needed to make high pressures more bearable. (I would suggest the PRS1 BiPAP Auto except I think you already have the humidifier and power supply for the S9 series.)

I've read that most patients who are given an opportunity to use bi-level treatment find that their sleep quality is best when their IPAP is around 5 cm H2O higher in pressure than their EPAP. EPR on the Elite and AutoSet is like true bi-level except EPR only allows a difference of up to 3. (Bi-level machines also allow a little more adjustability, like on the timing and abruptness of the pressure rise and fall.)

You want an Auto machine so the pressure will auto adjust high only when needed, so the average pressure will be lower, and you want a bi-level machine to minimize the discomfort and aerophagia and leaking associated with high pressures.

A while back Zonk posted a great article by Dr Barry Krakow on the advantages of bi-level treatment:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-and-BiPAP

Good luck!
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks man. I'll bring this up with my doctor. He's cool in some regards like going over data and answering questions but he's old school with Cpap machines.

He's even said he doesn't like Apap as it's too late by the time the apnea is detected to be effective, and said he prefers constant pressure. So we'll see what he says. At least now I can be armed with more knowledge and better questions for him.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 215 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 72 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.