Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Apnea question
Central Apnea question
Hi folks,

I know you all are not doctors and that I should have probably asked my doc last time I went but I'm curious about something. Maybe you guys could give some insight on it.

I would say probably 95% of the apneas I register on ResScan are central apneas, most between 10-17 seconds. However, some nights they are more frequent than others. For example, last night it showed I had 7 centrals while the night before just I had one. So is there any reason that these apneas occur more frequently some nights than others? I'm wondering what caused me to have more last night than previous nights.

My body definitely feels like I had that many apneas today more than other days, even with using CPAP. Sleep-on-pillow Phew.

Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central Apnea question
Howdy,

Don't worry too much about central apneas in rescan/sleepyhead as these programs can only use air resistance recorded in wavforms to measure such events.

This in turn gives false positives as all the machine knows is that it sent a puff of air and never got anything back. This can be caused by many things, like changing position, breathing goes out of sync for a bit, mask leaked for a little bit..etc.....

What you want to look for are trends. If you start seeing a lot of centrals days in a row and you ahi is reaching over 5 a night then you know you have a problem.

My observation as I am a low pressure guy like you, is that resscan/sleepyhead reports CA events that are really hyponeas (shallow breathing) but because the pressure is low it dosen't have as much air resistance to read and marks it a central apnea.

Be a good idea to keep an eye on it, but it's also important how you feel when waking up, and like I said, it's only a problem if it becomes a recurring trend over a period of time.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tend to get a number of apneas between the time when i wake up and when I take off the mask. Because of the pressure my CPAP is set to, I assume that these are centrals and also because I would have detected it if it was obstructive.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jbuchanan6196
You wrote today "I was taken off AutoPap to straight CPAP"
Why? also what was pressure setting, 95th percentile pressure, AHI breakdown of apnea events

As for central apnea, every have them from time to time but over time woud fade away
It become a concern when AHI consistently over 5, 50% are centrals and 5 central events per hour also tiredness during the day
Sometimes but not always, experimenting with EPR or turn off if you can live without it, may helps. Nothing ventured, nothing gained Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2014, 08:02 PM)zonk Wrote: Hi jbuchanan6196
You wrote today "I was taken off AutoPap to straight CPAP"
Why? also what was pressure setting, 95th percentile pressure, AHI breakdown of apnea events

As for central apnea, every have them from time to time but over time woud fade away
It become a concern when AHI consistently over 5, 50% are centrals and 5 central events per hour also tiredness during the day
Sometimes but not always, experimenting with EPR or turn off if you can live without it, may helps. Nothing ventured, nothing gained Coffee

I was taken off AutoPap when they determined that a straight pressure of 7 was effective for me. I just went through some of the data and noticed the median was more around 8-9. I may try to bump it up a notch.
Post Reply Post Reply
Technically, the machine doesn't even measure a "Central Apnea" (as that takes a pulse ox and maybe an EEG to comfirm) but a "Clear Airway" event.

You didn't mention your AHI (that I saw) but guessing from 7 such events and maybe one or two regular ones, you are running about 1.0 or so?

If so (and you are sleeping well) then don't worry about it. Not a deal much less a big one.

Those are short events as well, 10 seconds is the least that qualifies, so unless they cluster and wake you up or something, still not a deal.

I get them too. Probably 50 to 80% of my remaining events are CAs, and most of the others are hypopnia.

Unless you get a LOT of them so your overall AHI isn't controlled you can mention them to your doc but he'll likely say "not a deal".

BTW: You can also get these by just holding your breath while turning over or sometimes just by the transition from awake to asleep or asleep to awake breathing. (Your breathing is controlled by different parts of your brain during the two states, and sometimes the switch over isn't instantaneous.)

Also, a lot of my hypopnia events are bogus.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2014, 06:11 PM)jbuchanan6196 Wrote: I would say probably 95% of the apneas I register on ResScan are central apneas, most between 10-17 seconds.

Are you new to CPAP therapy? If so, that is most likely the cause, and they will soon fade away. Your body is not used all the extra oxygen you're supplying, and those elevated oxygen levels trick your brain into thinking you don't need to breathe. It's good that they only last a short time as that means you are not damaging your body. They can, however, interfere with the quality of your sleep and cause you to be fatigued the next day.

Quote:However, some nights they are more frequent than others. For example, last night it showed I had 7 centrals while the night before just I had one. So is there any reason that these apneas occur more frequently some nights than others? I'm wondering what caused me to have more last night than previous nights.

Nothing is causing this, it's just a natural variation. It's like asking why it rains more on some days than others. That's just the way it is.

Do your numbers otherwise look good? That is, is your AHI below 5? Is your leak rate under control? Those are the two most important things.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry I left out some info! AHI has been low, like around 0.5, I don't think its ever gotten up to 2.0 which I know is great. I'm fairly new to therapy, my machine reads: Days>4 hours = 49/66, so about 9 weeks. That includes the couple weeks I was on Auto and the period I was trying to get used to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, a LITTLE off topic but something else I just noticed:
When looking at detailed data in ResScan under Events, I understand that a RED tick is an obstructive apnea and BLACK/WHITE tick is central. Well, what are the small blue dots that don't rise or have a number above them? Is is something that is to short to pick up? Different type of disturbance?

I know I'm full of questions but remember I'm still a newbie ;-)
Post Reply Post Reply
It can't really be off-topic when it';s your post Smile Unless it's out of the scope of CPAP related stuff. As for questions, ask away~! Reading and asking are the best ways to learn as the school of hard knocks can be painful here...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 602 Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,525 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,406 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 617 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 865 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 273 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.