Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Somnolence, what do you know please?
RE: Somnolence, what do you know please?
Another thing that helps me, I have that tired feeling ALL THE TIME, is not to eat a big meal. Not eating so much that you have that "full" feeling helps me not feel tired as well. Just small meals and grazing snacks like nuts and yogurt help.

I know that feeling and it's horrible, and everyday I have to fight it off.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Gabby,
Give it time, you haven't been on CPAP that long; I'm sorry you are still so very tired but keep on trying. You say that you are afraid that if you go to bed early, you won't sleep through the night and will wake up earlier than you want to but I'm curious, have you tried that?
I understand what you are saying about exercise, I don't like it very much either, knowing how important it is. It's good that you are trying to cut back on meds if you can.
Good luck to you and don't give up.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
There are so many factors that can be effecting, drugs that can be hurting or helping... know that it can be a long road to get relief, and it is the practice of medicine the doctors are engaged in - sometimes they need to practice before they get it perfect. BUT you need to push them.
On the sleep side - apneas aside - are you getting good sleep? Did they see any Alpha wave intrusions/arousals while you were asleep? There are drugs like Gabapentin taken in the evening that can help with that and also any nerve pain. You also wrote about pain - My sleep doc told me once the greatest enemy she had was pain, It caused more fatigue problems for her patients than any other single factor.
On the wake side - has anyone suggested mild stimulants or experimented to see how you would respond to something like Provigil or Nuvigil ? Not saying they should - but the question needs to be asked. Are you depressed? My answer to that was I am depressed because I am tired. I am not tired because I am depressed. However, depression is a major cause of chronic fatigue.
Lots of factors, no easy answers. Good Luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2014, 07:39 PM)SnuffySleeper Wrote: Another thing that helps me, I have that tired feeling ALL THE TIME, is not to eat a big meal. Not eating so much that you have that "full" feeling helps me not feel tired as well. Just small meals and grazing snacks like nuts and yogurt help.

I know that feeling and it's horrible, and everyday I have to fight it off.

Thanks SnuufySleeper, due to one of my medications I don't eat very much, only small meals, thank goodness, so that is taken in to account. Although I have to say I sometimes eat too many sweet things which are going to stop from today.
Big diet starts today! No joke..

I am sorry you have this horrible tiredness, hang in there you never know what's around the corner, good luck and thank you.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2014, 07:47 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Gabby,
Give it time, you haven't been on CPAP that long; I'm sorry you are still so very tired but keep on trying. You say that you are afraid that if you go to bed early, you won't sleep through the night and will wake up earlier than you want to but I'm curious, have you tried that?
I understand what you are saying about exercise, I don't like it very much either, knowing how important it is. It's good that you are trying to cut back on meds if you can.

Hi Trish,
Thank you for your kind reply.
I am not worried about waking up earlier, ie 6,7am, I just don't want to wake in the middle of the night and not be able to get back to sleep. I will probably be ok.
I read somewhere to start the first night fifteen minutes earlier and then each night take another fifteen off. So I took fifteen off last night and will take thirty off tonight.
My husband and I have started a short walk this week and today I start a diet to lose ten kilos.
So the ball is in my court.
I have been given some great help and support from you good guys here and I am going to take it as I cannot go on living day to day like this.
Also several people have said to still give CPAP a chance to kick in which thrills me no end.
My machine, mask and I are going really well together I am happy to report.

I hope all is well in your court and thank you again.

Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2014, 07:01 PM)Gabby Wrote:
(05-08-2014, 07:47 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Gabby,

Hi Trish,
Thank you for your kind reply.
I am not worried about waking up earlier, ie 6,7am, I just don't want to wake in the middle of the night and not be able to get back to sleep. I will probably be ok.
I read somewhere to start the first night fifteen minutes earlier and then each night take another fifteen off. So I took fifteen off last night and will take thirty off tonight.
My husband and I have started a short walk this week and today I start a diet to lose ten kilos.
So the ball is in my court.
I have been given some great help and support from you good guys here and I am going to take it as I cannot go on living day to day like this.
Also several people have said to still give CPAP a chance to kick in which thrills me no end.
My machine, mask and I are going really well together I am happy to report.

I hope all is well in your court and thank you again.
Hi Gabby,
Things are well here, thank you.
That sounds like a good plan as far as 15 minutes one night and 30 minutes the next. Good luck to you and keep on trying and yes, give CPAP time to kick in and it's good to hear that you, your mask and your machine are getting on well together.
Keep on keepin' on.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2014, 12:30 PM)robertbuckley Wrote: There are so many factors that can be effecting, drugs that can be hurting or helping... know that it can be a long road to get relief, and it is the practice of medicine the doctors are engaged in - sometimes they need to practice before they get it perfect. BUT you need to push them.
On the sleep side - apneas aside - are you getting good sleep? Did they see any Alpha wave intrusions/arousals while you were asleep? There are drugs like Gabapentin taken in the evening that can help with that and also any nerve pain. You also wrote about pain - My sleep doc told me once the greatest enemy she had was pain, It caused more fatigue problems for her patients than any other single factor.
On the wake side - has anyone suggested mild stimulants or experimented to see how you would respond to something like Provigil or Nuvigil ? Not saying they should - but the question needs to be asked. Are you depressed? My answer to that was I am depressed because I am tired. I am not tired because I am depressed. However, depression is a major cause of chronic fatigue.
Lots of factors, no easy answers. Good Luck.

Hi robertbuckley,
Thanks for your suggestion. My sleep pattern at night is great and I have wonderful AHI and leak results, could not ask for better. I have finally got mask and leaks worked out and it feels good.
Sleep Doctor and I spoke about stimulants but they would not agree with other medications and blood pressure, so big no no there. I was a bit disappointed with that result.
So it looks like it is down to the pain and the depression and meds.
I am determined to beat it and will work my backside off until I start noticing some positive results.
Thanks for taking the time to reply to me.
Good luck on your journey.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.