Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure 6.5 cmH2O. Should I bother with CPAP?
RE: Pressure 6.5 cmH2O. Should I bother with CPAP?
(05-07-2014, 08:38 PM)cpaplvr Wrote: After a week of an auto CPAP use for titration, the machine seems to be choosing an average of 6.5 cmH2O so I've been prescribed a machine with that setting or auto 4-8 cmH2O.

Was exhalation pressure relief used during the APAP trial, and if yes, do you know (or can you find out) how much? I think most people find that using EPR makes exhalation more comfortable.

When you get your machine, if it ever seems like you are working harder during inhalation than you would like then I think you would find that an increase in at least the bottom pressure setting would likely be more comfortable for you, and, unless your personal experience turns out to show otherwise, I would suggest keeping the upper end of the allowed pressure range at least about 3 but not more than about 6 higher than the minimum pressure setting.

Also, the reported 95 percentile pressure (the pressure was "this high or lower" 95% of the time, only exceeding it 5% of the time) and the reported max pressure are important to keep an eye on. I suggest letting the doctor know if the reported max is getting limited by your Max Pressure setting. If it is, the doctor and you may want to increase the Max Pressure setting.

You have a fully data-capable model and will be able to use ResScan or SleepyHead to look at your detailed data, including time plots of all your apnea events and the pressure and leaks, and "Flow" data. "Flow" is the machine's estimate for the rate of airflow entering or exiting your airway. "Flow" excludes (subtracts out) both the estimated intentional leak (leak though the mask vent holes) and the estimated unintentional leak (leak from a faulty seal or from mouth being open, or whatever).

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ear tubes to help with CPAP ear pressure? PaulaO2 16 3,240 11 hours ago
Last Post: jiyun
  should I raise my CPAP pressure if 3AM spo2 is loow RichardW 13 322 04-16-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: RichardW
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 159 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Pressure] What Cpap pressure should I use? uarspatient2023 1 271 03-02-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Pressure] Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure? grrrrr 2 322 02-21-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: grrrrr
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 513 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Dizziness and ear pressure/fullness after using cpap dizzy1 0 209 02-10-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: dizzy1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.