Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Res med Quattro mirage full mask fit-help!
Res med Quattro mirage full mask fit-help!
Hey guys. I am about 6 weeks in to using my cpap machine. I can tell you it is really helping and for the most part I am extremely pleased. I never fall asleep in my chair at 7 30 now...get up and go to bed at the regular time. Pretty amazing!

My difficulty is my continuing odyssey with my full face mask fit and leaks. In the first couple of weeks I used a medium until I realized it kept riding up over my mouth. Even with this, once I re adjusted the mask it did fine, but I decided to try a large in hopes of not having to adjust the mask in the middle of the night.

I struggled with the large for a couple of weeks but never could get the mask to fit properly without leaking significantly around my eyes. I then went back to the medium and it does fine probably 5 nights out of the week, even though I still occasionally have to adjust the mask once it rides over my mouth. I have decided I can live with this if otherwise the mask doesn't leak.

My problem is the other 2 nights a week when I have significant leaks all around the mask. I try to re adjust my mask, but to no avail. Then typically the next night I re adjust before going to bed and it does ok.

Any suggestions (however basic they may be) are most appreciated. My therapist has really been little help. I will continue to search the threads but in the meantime appreciate any input.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Res med Quattro mirage full mask fit-help!
Hefty,

Try the fitting instructions at the following location. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...434#pid434.

The Mirage Quattro is a good full face mask but requires some very explicit fitting. Jeffy's instructions are great but they are not specific to the Mirage Quattro. In addition, read Jan Knitz' blog Mask Arrayed under the title "Taming the Mirage Quattro". In addition to all of that, make sure that your straps are adjusted so that both the bottom straps are the same length and both of the top straps are the same length. One more thing. When you put the mask on to go to bed, with both hands grab the lower straps behind your head and pull slightly away from your head and move back and forth to ensure that the headgear and mask are centered. Repeat with the upper straps. If you have followed the instructions to get the right fit and you have gotten the mask and headgear centered, you should be good to go. You should not have to redo the mask fit every time - just on occasion as the head\gear stretches a little.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
mask pads help a *lot*
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2014, 11:05 AM)PaytonA Wrote: Hefty,

Try the fitting instructions at the following location. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...434#pid434.

The Mirage Quattro is a good full face mask but requires some very explicit fitting. Jeffy's instructions are great but they are not specific to the Mirage Quattro. In addition, read Jan Knitz' blog Mask Arrayed under the title "Taming the Mirage Quattro". In addition to all of that, make sure that your straps are adjusted so that both the bottom straps are the same length and both of the top straps are the same length. One more thing. When you put the mask on to go to bed, with both hands grab the lower straps behind your head and pull slightly away from your head and move back and forth to ensure that the headgear and mask are centered. Repeat with the upper straps. If you have followed the instructions to get the right fit and you have gotten the mask and headgear centered, you should be good to go. You should not have to redo the mask fit every time - just on occasion as the head\gear stretches a little.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Good Stuff Payton..............

(05-17-2014, 11:07 AM)diamaunt Wrote: mask pads help a *lot*

Yup... They sure do.

The other thing you may consider is a different full face mask. Resmed is a couple of models past the Quattro now. I thought the Quattro Air was a nice improvement for me. Now they have the Air F10. That sounds like a really nicely done mask. I probably won't find out however because I am completely moved to the P10 pillows mask. But I still have my Quattro -- Just in case!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey guys. Thanks so much for the info. More than I've gotten from anyone so far! I have a very basic question. When I look at some photos it appears the bottom of the mask is under the chin. In others it appears the mask is sitting on the chin. Which should it be?....or is it whichever works?
Post Reply Post Reply
It cannot be under the chin because that would negate any ability to get a decent seal. So inbetween the mouth and the tip of the chin? What's that area called? Hmmm.. Maybe the "no-chin area."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Hefty7333,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post, best of luck with your CPAP therapy and getting your mask to fit. The mask can be the hardest part of the therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2014, 06:24 AM)Hefty7333 Wrote: My difficulty is my continuing odyssey with my full face mask fit and leaks. In the first couple of weeks I used a medium until I realized it kept riding up over my mouth. Even with this, once I re adjusted the mask it did fine, but I decided to try a large in hopes of not having to adjust the mask in the middle of the night.

I struggled with the large for a couple of weeks but never could get the mask to fit properly without leaking significantly around my eyes. I then went back to the medium and it does fine probably 5 nights out of the week, even though I still occasionally have to adjust the mask once it rides over my mouth. I have decided I can live with this if otherwise the mask doesn't leak.

Hi Hefty7333,
PaytonA gave some very good tips and links.

I have been using the same mask in Medium, and I had a lot of the same issues. Once I figured out that I needed to avoid sleeping on my back, the S9 stopped boosting the pressure up near 20, and the leaks decreased substantially. At this point, my nightly max pressure is usually between 12.5 and 15 cm, and the leak numbers are quite low. Even so, I still occasionally have an irritating leak, usually up around my eyes. I also am a recently diagnosed diabetic (type II), and I am losing weight, from around 225, now in the 190s. Consequently, my facial contours are changing a bit, and that seems to have made the leaks a little worse at the moment.

I used the original mask cushion for about 3 months before replacing it. I think the replacement is doing better, although the original is possibly still usable - not torn or obviously damaged. It may be a little stretched. Not planning to use the current cushion that long again.

I'm planning to try the F&P Simplus, as quite a few folk have posted good experiences with that mask. If it doesn't work out, I can live with the Mirage, but I want to see if another mask works better. I believe that a great deal depends on the match between your face and the mask, and that is extremely individual, and not necessarily unchanging.

Good luck on your journey,
A.Becker
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same problems with the MQ (Mirage Quattro). No matter how I tried to adjust it, it still rode up on my face during the night. I'd find myself wrestling with it on occasion. I got hold of a F&P Simplus and I don't have nearly the problems with it riding up and leaking into my eyes. Right now it's my main mask. However, I'm really interested in trying the AirFit F10. Almost all the reviews I've read about it are good and looking at the design of the headgear it looks like it would be a good fit.

ETA: I have a F&P FlexiFit 431 and it works pretty well also. It can't ride up on your face as it has a chin cup that fits under your chin. It's not as comfortable as the Simplus, but it's my go to mask when something is going on with my face and the simplus. The 432 is the same mask with some padding added.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 521 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,604 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 702 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  Low o2 with full face mask Eabhainn 2 264 02-09-2024, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ItsComplicated
  Full face mask tightness pushing jaw back and leaks wickedsleepy 11 747 02-07-2024, 04:30 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.